Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Do you ride on these roads?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  CarGuy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I ride #5 I-95 & #24 US-1 in the Philadelphia area, but try to avoid them.

I-95 seems like it's always under construction with a 45mph speed limit, but if you're not going at least 70, you'll get run down. Plus the road hazards like ladders or mattresses on the roadway as an obstacle course.

US-1, they are making an attempt to make it safer by installing red-light cameras and speed sensors along the roadway (you get a no-points ticket in the mail with pictures), but it's still interesting with two sets of 3 lanes each going north & south.

Reactions: Lesblank
#4 ·
If it's got an "I" in front of it, I avoid it. Too many people in a hurry to get somewhere and there's no way to enjoy the ride, which to me is what riding is all about. Find me an old country road and I'm all over it!

#5 ·
Lucky me. I have #1, I-4. It SUCKS!! I try to avoid it as much as possible. It's the main highway between Tampa and Daytona with Orlando and the mouse house in the middle. Lots of a-hole drivers and clueless tourists. Around Orlando, it's been highly congested for nearly two decades. When they finally started talking about ideas to deal with traffic, in steps the expressway authority. They are the super corrupt organization that controls all the toll roads that surround the city that would easily alleviate some of the congestion if they weren't charging a small fortune to drive on their roads. Their solution for I-4? A downtown bypass lane. And yep, you guessed it. It's a toll road! Stupid thing is being built right now.

Reactions: A1sparkey
#8 ·
Oh boy, mine dropped! I have no real choice but to ride I-40 and I-44 in St Louis. By now the side streets are just as bad due to everyone trying to not ride/drive on the freeways. However I'm also lucky in that the hours I work are the opposite of everyone else.

#11 ·
I don't ride interstates. I will drive miles out of my way to avoid them and big cities when I travel on the bike. The old highways and back roads give you the best scenery and no traffic. zig-zaging through Lower Missouri and Arkansas is just Beautiful. Even in Colorado there better roads than the Million dollar highway, like 149 and 114.
I find the recommended roads are the most congested. And the off the beaten path ones are better.
When I am on the bike I am never in a hurry to get any where.

#13 · (Edited)
Bummer thing I commute and travel a lot on my bike and as far as avoiding big cities, I live in Houston, need I say more. Here's my commute home @ 2pm. Another hour the traffic will be totally stopped.

No F***ing way. I-69 is the biggest highway around me. I ride a mile of gravel and dirt from my house just to get to a chip&sealed paved road. Fort Wayne is the largest City around me and its 30+ miles away. I don't even like going there in the truck.

#16 ·
I-35 is only 1 1/2 miles east from my home. 1 1/2 miles west and I'm in the beautiful Texas hill country. The hill country wins every time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.