Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a throwing out a thought I witnessed today.
We’ve all witnessed a person walking in the street while a perfectly good sidewalk was available. Or a bicyclist riding ridiculously in the path of 2000lbs or better vehicle. Or a car stopping in the middle of a four lane Hwy to turn around because they missed their turn. Just a few examples of the mentality out there… everywhere. It’s like some warped mindless video game of pedestrians’ bicyclist and of course, the real danger too cyclist, “Motorist”. Amazing how some people believe they have the right of way along some Divine line. I mean for anyone to think there’s no such thing as a drunk, drugged out, road ragging, bad brakes, talking and texting, blind, stupid, Ahole drivers is pretty arrogant, or just the easy excuse “ Ignorant”.
But seriously, do you ride like that? I mean do you have the impression on your bike, when you THINK you have the right of way, that if anyone violates your space, you’ll sue or beat their ass? Ya know, some kinda… Full –of- me –philosophy! I’m not moving from my right of way for nobody. I mean why would you admit giving up some of your liberties and privilege to ride another day. After all, the papers are just full of adds for bikes from guys that find it aint easy riding like that and easier to give up there bike.
So do you ride like that?
I know Ghost want to respond…but they can’t :skeleton:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Although I sometimes want to ride like that, I make a conscious effort not to. Nothing irritates me more (now that I'm in my 50s I say that a lot) than someone exercising their right of way without any apparent thought to the consequences. I ride motorcycles and bicycles and, except for the occasional speed limit, I follow the rules of the road. But I never assume some a-hole in a 3000 lb iron cage is going to stop, yield, or even see me. I try to be always ready to yield to laws of physics.

That said, I caught myself day-dreaming coming home from work the other day and had to make my first panic stop on my 9er. Fortunately, when I finally noticed that everyone else had stopped, I wasn't doing more than 25 mph. Still I was impressed at how easy it was to keep the bike under control with the rear wheel locked up. I've been concerned about emergency braking with the forward controls, but I didn't have any problems. I don't think anyone even noticed that I was sweating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sometimes its hard not to develope the attitude of " I deserve space on this patch of asphalt just as much as anyone else". That being said, I think anyone who gets on any bike and hits the road has to know that it could be your last ride. If the reward out weighs risk, hit the road. If it doesn't, sell the bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm less tolerant of folks invading my space when i'm in the cage than i am when on the bike. I really believe i'm invisible on the bike and therefore cut other drivers much more slack.

In any event, road rage is not a productive response to anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My mindset on the bike is,I'm invisible to everyone and everybody is out to kill me. Therefore with that in mind I try to be aware of whats happening around me. I've had drivers look me in the eye and STILL turn right in front of me. My 600 lb bike isnt gonna stop a 3000 lb car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mindset on the bike is,I'm invisible to everyone and everybody is out to kill me. Therefore with that in mind I try to be aware of whats happening around me. I've had drivers look me in the eye and STILL turn right in front of me. My 600 lb bike isnt gonna stop a 3000 lb car.
Thats me! Sort of paranoid and never fooling myself the open road has no danger. I mean a bird, big insect or a pot hole can take the complacency right out of you. I try and do enjoy riding, and am very grateful my wife has confidence in my abilities when riding with me. But till the day bikes come with the option to cast some sort of allusion of a big hulking car coming down the road...I won't ride like this guy

·
Registered
125 Posts
So there I was... there is a T intersection near my house, and the right of way goes to the person making the turn. Its happened a few times where people blow right through that yield sign and dont even look at me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, but I just can’t resist. This may not be for the faint hearted, but like I posted earlier, “Till the day bikes come with the option to cast some sort of allusion of a big hulking car coming down the road”

Well it seems our species in Germany are working on it

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just the other day I was in the right lane of two lanes turning left at a traffic light. There was a white SUV in the left lane beside me. When the light went green we both made our turns side by side, I stayed in my lane, the SUV took the corner wide forcing me to the shoulder and damned near off the road. I snapped the throttle back and rocketed around him just before the shoulder ended.

Recently, a guy I worked with took out a guy at a notorious intersection. I know of at least 3 riders that got stamped out on the same spot. He was crossing the intersection when the biker crested the hill and struck the right rear quarter of his car. The rider died on impact. I've always treated that particular intersection like the reaper was standing on the corner.

·
Registered
397 Posts
As I spend a good deal of my time on the superslab commuting, I always try to find/pick the lane with the lowest density of other traffic, one where I can allow the greatest amount of space all around me, both front and rear. If I happen to pick up a nasty tailgater, it doesn't add to my travel time appreciably for me to just move out of their way, let 'em go ahead and tailgate someone else and then I can move back into the lane of my choosing, even though this kind of "rewards" their bad behavior. I'm just not going to try and be stubborn about it. Not worth it.

Also... this past weekend I had to take my car into town to do some shopping errands. There's this one area where the road is currently under reconstruction so a lot of cones and temp stop signs and altered traffic patterns for about a mile. I was at an intersection where a temporary four-way stop had been set up. I was at the stop sign, and just about to pull out into the intersection to make my left turn, when I saw a rider coming up from the left. Something told me to wait... maybe I just wanted to see what kind of bike it was so I purposely waited extra long for this guy to come up to the four-way stop. It's a good thing I waited because this guy completely blew right through the stop sign at about 25-30 mph as though he didn't even see the stop. Probably didn't. If I had pulled out in front of him he would have for sure had to do a panic stop or else he would have T-boned me. He was lucky it was me at the wheel that day and not some other cager with no interest in bikes. It was kind of scary to see!:eek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
My mindset on the bike is,I'm invisible to everyone and everybody is out to kill me.
+1. That eliminates any sense of road entitlement really quick.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im with you on this one I have had a few close calls with people not paying attention to bikes. My buddy died that way so that is the truth when on your bike everybody is trying to kill you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yup,
I am so in agreement. Everyone and everything is a potential projectile that will nail me if I'm not aware.
But one thing it do notice. Riding makes my more focused and is almost zen like when I'm trying to watch everything. And I try to turn any fear into adrenaline. Makes the ride exciting. I have several friends battling cancer right now, so in perspective, you can get hit at anytime by other things besides cars and the like.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup,
I am so in agreement. Everyone and everything is a potential projectile that will nail me if I'm not aware.
But one thing it do notice. Riding makes my more focused and is almost zen like when I'm trying to watch everything. And I try to turn any fear into adrenaline. Makes the ride exciting. I have several friends battling cancer right now, so in perspective, you can get hit at anytime by other things besides cars and the like.
So right! As one of our species says "Your dead longer than you are alive"...That just gives new meaning to0 Take care of yourself!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Totally unrelated but it was one of the videos to watch after the German.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Way back in 1979 I was hit by some nut driving a VW bug. However, even though it was totally his fault and intentionally hit me on my motorcycle, I could have avoided the accident. I was much younger then, with much more testosterone running through my veins than was needed. Now that I'm in my early 50s, I avoid run-ins with stupid drivers. I either turn off onto a side road, or slow down, allowing right of way. A motorcycle, no matter how tough the rider is, can not compete with the weight of an automobile. I would just let them slide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts