Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do. Whats funny, 9 times out of 10, they don't wave back! :mad-tongue:

I guess they are jealous of anyone who has more than 49cc between their legs! :D

I've noticed that sometimes Harley guys tend to give the same shun to non Harleys. Today I was about 10 CLs behind a Goldwing. We passed a large group of about 20 Harleys. The guy on the Goldwing waived. Not one of them returned the gesture. But when they got to me the majority tipped their hands to me! :rolleyes: Guess they thought I was riding something American.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wave to scooters, I figure anyone on 2 wheels is exposed to the same idiots as I am.

Around me most bikers wave, even the harley guys, though you can see some them try to tell if I am worthy

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wave, but most don't understand what it means; they'll learn. I came up through the scooter ranks, beginning with two 50cc Hondas (NU50M and Ruckus), 125 Yamaha Zuma (still own and use to commute 1.1 miles to work), and a 250 Honda Reflex (now the wife's) among other enduros and small displacement road bikes. The wife is looking to go up to the maxi scooter ranks because she doesn't enjoy toe shifting but wants to stay on two wheels bigger; all the power to her.

I agree with truckie453; as long as we are two or three wheels dirty side down, it means we all like the same thing, just with differing methods of implementation. And besides, the next scooter rider you see may be a struggling college student or broke new parent trying to make ends meet but still trying to enjoy two wheel with the desire to ride next to you in a few years on a bigger bike.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I give them a wave, but they never wave back. Most of them look too terrified to let go of the handle bar. I think the problem may be that they don't enjoy the same things we do; they're on two wheels because someone told them they'll get 500 mpg and they couldn't pass up the bargain! A lot of them will get up to speed, but some will drop out when they realize they're not saving as much $$ as they thought they would.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wave at all 2 wheelers, including bicycles. The little kids on the sidewalks get so excited!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wave at the scooters too! My wife rides one and she gets all excited when bikers wave at her. So I return the favor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, I try to wave at all two wheelers. A person can't have too many road friends. I have owned Zumas to Goldwings so don't let personalities get you down.......

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i try to give the biker wave to everybody riding 2 wheels, but i can always tell when a person doesnt want a wave, like some harley and scooter guys, even other cruisers as well. when im at a light so see another bike i always try to make eye contact or something to show i have love for my fellow rider.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Where I am from, 99% of the scooters are driven by people with no drivers licence. They have lost them due to reasons of personal stupidity. And they ride their scooters in the same manner. They are currently alive only because the cagers have learned to vigilantly watch out for them because they are likely to be drunk and swerve in front of you at any moment. Also, the scooters around here are often riden two up by people in the 300 pounds plus range, which I wouldn't want to do on a Goldwing. So when I see a scooter I tend not to wave. I don't want to distract them from the task of driving. They seem to be having enough trouble as it is with the case of Pabst Blue Ribbon bungied to the back, their helmet unbuckled, wearing 2-winter coats at 65*F, and a Marlboro hanging out the corner of their mouth.

PS- They don't call scooters liquor cicles for nuthin around here!

PPS- In defense of this rather politically incorrect post, I do know that not all scooters are driven by hung-over bums. But I don't live in the city, so the number of prepie sweater wearing Mods riding scooters because they are evinronmentally friendly is almost non-existant. If for some reason God saw fit to punish me and make me live in a big city, I am sure I would meet some really nice people on scooters.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I wave at the scooters too! My wife rides one and she gets all excited when bikers wave at her. So I return the favor.

I also wave at the scooters, and my wife also rides one. She rode hers in yesterday's Quaker Steak poker run. Morningstar and I were both on our 900's, and my wife was in the lead. I finally convinced her to slow it down a little, since I like to watch the scenery go by at less than 65 MPH!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where I am from, 99% of the scooters are driven by people with no drivers licence. They have lost them due to reasons of personal stupidity. And they ride their scooters in the same manner. They are currently alive only because the cagers have learned to vigilantly watch out for them because they are likely to be drunk and swerve in front of you at any moment. Also, the scooters around here are often riden two up by people in the 300 pounds plus range, which I wouldn't want to do on a Goldwing. So when I see a scooter I tend not to wave. I don't want to distract them from the task of driving. They seem to be having enough trouble as it is with the case of Pabst Blue Ribbon bungied to the back, their helmet unbuckled, wearing 2-winter coats at 65*F, and a Marlboro hanging out the corner of their mouth.

PS- They don't call scooters liquor cicles for nuthin around here!

PPS- In defense of this rather politically incorrect post, I do know that not all scooters are driven by hung-over bums. But I don't live in the city, so the number of prepie sweater wearing Mods riding scooters because they are evinronmentally friendly is almost non-existant. If for some reason God saw fit to punish me and make me live in a big city, I am sure I would meet some really nice people on scooters.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I see a lot of them being ridden by guys who obviously had a few too many DUI's But I will give them a little respect in the fact that at least while driving a scooter they are making an attempt to obey the law, rather than a DWS.

Whats funny, in the town I used to live in, we had a bunch of guys riding around on old riding mowers with the decks removed. I almost thought about starting up a business that sells custom (pimped out) riding mowers. I was gonna call it Si's DUIs! :p

·
Registered
782 Posts
I also wave at the scooters, and my wife also rides one. She rode hers in yesterday's Quaker Steak poker run. Morningstar and I were both on our 900's, and my wife was in the lead. I finally convinced her to slow it down a little, since I like to watch the scenery go by at less than 65 MPH!
65 MPH!!! HOLY COW! That is not what I call a scooter. It may be a step through with small wheels and an automatic transmission, but anything that will go over 55mph is a motorbike in my opinion.

To me scooters are these little weed eaters engines with wheels. They won't hardly do 35mph and they are a danger to themselves and the other drivers. Not just because they are so slow and tend to back up traffic, but also because the riders are usually in an altered state of mind.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used to at the beginning but noticed that they ignore us...or maybe just me. Never got a single signal back from one so.....I stopped doing it with Scooter folk. Maybe it is a scooter gang rule (yes, scooter gangs here) not to acknowledge motorcyclists.

For those that say they do because it is a two wheel thing, do you do it with bicyclists also? I have never seen a motorcyclist do the wave to me when I am powering along at 27 mph on my road bike.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
65 MPH!!! HOLY COW! That is not what I call a scooter. It may be a step through with small wheels and an automatic transmission, but anything that will go over 55mph is a motorbike in my opinion.

To me scooters are these little weed eaters engines with wheels. They won't hardly do 35mph and they are a danger to themselves and the other drivers. Not just because they are so slow and tend to back up traffic, but also because the riders are usually in an altered state of mind.
This is an '88 Honda CH-250 Elite. They stretched it a couple of years later, and called it the Helix. We lived in Florida for a while, and people would literally wave cash at you trying to buy it. They are the "holy grail" of scooterdom! I've had it to over 70, and the wife says she has "pegged" it!
She has had it since new in college. I've never sen less than 75 miles per gallon, but if it sits for a long time some fuel is lost through evaporation.

It's a single-cylinder 250 motor that's highway legal, but I have to laugh when I think about my first bike which was a Honda CL-175 Scrambler. I "commuted" between Philadelphia and upstate NY, back in 1970. It was all turnpike and interstate riding, and about 300 miles each way! Air Force pay didn't go far back then, even with gas being a quarter a gallon!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I have to really laugh at the eco-nuts. They'll wave to you when they see you on the scooter, But I'm sure my wife's scoot puts out more pollutants per mile than 15 new SUV's combined!

·
Registered
29 Posts
In defense of the Harley riders not waving back is because, their bikes vibrate so much their holding on for dear life and can't take the chance of letting go of the bar. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts