Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it makes me more paranoid or more vigilant but I sometimes watch motorcycle crash vids on youtube. Sometimes it makes me feel better as a rider, and one with only a year of experience, that a great deal of these are completely rider error, riding too fast in general or for the conditions and just doing stupid stuff. When I hear about a fatality or any accident I am always really curious what the rider was doing as I don't think much of it if the rider was going too fast or popping a wheelie or excessively weaving because that I don't do. It helps me sleep at night to know that a great deal of the fatalities are caused by overly aggressive riding because I might take off briskly and push my speed a little on the highway but I don't take a lot of chances and I ride like I expect everyone to hit me.

There certainly are many where the car just pulls right out in front of the bike either directly in front or just making a turn across and those are the ones that bother me. Thus far my only major close call was me going 35 mph and some idiot pulling right out in front of me, I locked up the brakes which got him to notice me hearing my tires screech and my rear end fish tailed but I kept the bike up and got around him. It scares me to think what would have happened on a faster road with me doing 70mph. Now I just expect everyone to do that so when I see a car waiting to pull out I tend to ease on the gas and check my mirrors for an escape route. And I ride behind cars in the next lane or I open it where I'm at least passed the driver. I always wear a helmet but once it gets hot the leather jacket and gloves stay at home.

What do you do to keep yourself safe?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Consider something other than leather if you're concerned about riding gear (concerning your other thread). Leather may look cool but it sure heats the body. Lots of very strong materials that are extremely breathable these days make for comfortable riding.

Crash videos? Sure, I've seen them, when they get shared or whatever. They represent a cross-section of what happens. Diligence is key. It could happen though, there are risks associated with riding a motorcycle. Especially when you mix in the inattentiveness of other drivers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I sometimes watch crash videos too, helps me to ride slower and safer ;)
And i recommend you 'air' textile for hot weather, it's definitely not so cool looking like leather but it will protect you way better that just shirt and jeans.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
As Romans said, occasionally when shared, otherwise no. During the hot warm and hot weather here I do not ride in leather, except a vest going to a club ride. On road trips I wear chaps again in cool or cold weather. The only way to avoid wrecking your bike is to just sit on it in the front yard..... and even that is not 100%. I never ride without gloves or a helmet. Give me the hottest day in Texas and I will get home with a hot sweaty helmet and wet gloves.

As someone once said "typed" you dress to suit you at the time and you take your chances after that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have watched plenty of vids and a good portion (not all) of them are the riders fault, to fast, changing lanes erratically, to trusting in others actions etc.

I got dropped once when a woman changed lanes in front of me at about 40mph then stopped in the same moment. I was a new rider then and had no escape plan, I ate her bumper and laid across her rear deck until she stepped on the gas and dumped me off lol.

Was a sobering experience and I very quickly changed how I ride. Choosing lane sides depending on traffic has saved me a few times.

Ride safe and keep your head on a swivel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have watched plenty of vids and a good portion (not all) of them are the riders fault, to fast, changing lanes erratically, to trusting in others actions etc.

I got dropped once when a woman changed lanes in front of me at about 40mph then stopped in the same moment. I was a new rider then and had no escape plan, I ate her bumper and laid across her rear deck until she stepped on the gas and dumped me off lol.

Was a sobering experience and I very quickly changed how I ride. Choosing lane sides depending on traffic has saved me a few times.

Ride safe and keep your head on a swivel.
That was one thing I took out of the rider course that I needed to stay out of the blinds spots of the cars next to me; I think those course should be required to get a license. People probably think I'm riding aggressively but if I'm not behind a car if he were to get over I open up the throttle and get where if they weren't texting that they could make eye contact with me. Some of that is also from watching those vids as I've seen plenty were the car just slid right over into the bike or decided they need to make a turn and needed over a lane right into the bike and most of the time that bike is right in the rear quarter of the car when that happens so I never ride there. And if I ever get a ticket it will probably be because I had a semi next to me and I opened it up to get way ahead of him.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Consider something other than leather if you're concerned about riding gear (concerning your other thread). Leather may look cool but it sure heats the body. Lots of very strong materials that are extremely breathable these days make for comfortable riding.

Crash videos? Sure, I've seen them, when they get shared or whatever. They represent a cross-section of what happens. Diligence is key. It could happen though, there are risks associated with riding a motorcycle. Especially when you mix in the inattentiveness of other drivers.
I've looked at a few joe rocket jackets with removeable liners. Are those type of jackets tolerable on a hot day? I've almost ordered one off of amazon but I'm a big guy and it appears they tend to run small so I've been afraid to order one online.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts