Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Curious for those who have ridden your 900 in the rain... have you ever gotten any sign of water/moisture in your tool compartment? Not the tool bag, but the compartment itself- you know the one under the seat.

I am working on a relay mod to add some switched accessories and I am looking to mount everything in the tool compartment. I need to know how water tight she is so I know if I need to overdue the protection.

Thanks.

P.S- I have never ridden mine the rain yet- thus the need to ask!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've been in the rain on 4 occasions - some heavy downpours going 55 mph and had no issues with water getting into the tool compartment - so far. However, I do collect a lot of road dust!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Not from rain, but I've gotten it wet washing the bike. Not much, but enough that I'm looking for a different location for my audio amp. The box itself is not water tight at all. It relies on the seat to keep it dry.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
none ... and the brains for my auto tuner and trailer hitch cord all sit in there .. my last trip was 3 to 4 days of torrential rain at 65 mph, 10 plus hrs a day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the insight. That was what I had hoped and somewhat expected. Good to know though before I go forth with the work.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I ride in the rain quite a bit. I don't LEAVE when it's raining, but I tour on my bike and commute on my bike, and that often means getting wet in unpredictable midwestern weather. I've also been caught in some nasty nasty thunderstorms. I don't have a tool kit! Instead, I have a non-waterproof, non-marine amplifier for my stereo where the toolkit used to be. And that thing (waterproof speakers) pumps through the rain splashing water out of the speaker cones like nobodies business! Never had an issue. Amp doesn't get wet at all. It probably gets more moisture from dew and condensation than it ever will in a rain storm.

The only catch to that would be going through a big puddle or something. You should go slow anyway, but, that IS all open. You can, in the right spot, drop a bolt and it'll fall all the way to the concrete. So I imagine you could probably splash water up IN to the toolkit area. But, in my experience, that doesn't happen just riding on wet roads or in the rain, but probably could barreling through a thick puddle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I store my alarm box in the location. I top it with a piece of plastic and then put the lid on to keep out any dust. Have rode through some strong storms and never a issue.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I suppose one could make that compartment at least water resistant by building a cover for it out of plastic, then glue in a soft rubber or neoprene gasket to seal the edges from water. To keep it in place, drill a hole on each side and use those plastic "rivets" that have the little plunger in the center to expand the shaft to keep it in place. I think they are referred to as body panel clips.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Never wet & I think the only way it could get wet is if water is jetted up from underneath (e.g. through cleaning).

For those who have an amp in there would the amp overheat?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sealing the compartment completely might cause condensation perhaps. I loosely lie a thin piece of plastic over the top of any componets I have in there just to reduce dust getting on them. Never a issue with water getting in the area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have my relay, fuse and wiring for my passing lights set up in my tool compartment. What i usually do at the beginning of the riding season here in Mich. I save 3 or 4 of the little moisture thingys you get in bottles of aspirin or vitamins then just put them in the compartment with the relay. Three seasons so far and many times caught in the rain without any problems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent advice using the silica gel, I will do that.

What i usually do at the beginning of the riding season here in Mich. I save 3 or 4 of the little moisture thingys you get in bottles of aspirin or vitamins then just put them in the compartment with the relay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts