Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at plug kits and am amazed at the prices. It seems a good compact plug kit with a small compressor will run $125 or so. I realize if I am stranded on the side of a mountain that will seem like nothing. It is still tough to spend that for something i might not even be able to use if I have a flat. Im guessing I would need to be at a place in the road with a wide flat shoulder before I could attempt repair.

What do you carry if anything?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have tubeless and I carry something similar to this in case of a flat:

·
BOTM Winner, October 2013
311 Posts
Plug kit and a can of Fix-A-Flat. it will at least get me somewhere for a tire or air compressor. Cheaper than a tow truck, even it you have roadside and towing insurance, still take forever for a truck to get to you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40013-Smart-Emergency-Repair/dp/B003RNWOAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415191957&sr=8-1&keywords=slime+emergency+tire+repair+kit[/ame]

I found this one after some additional searching. Looks like a pretty good deal for the money. Even has a mini compressor. I am planning a long trip for the spring and trying to be prepared. I am also putting together my Christmas list :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
if you have cast wheels and tubeless tires, plugs can be used. With spokes and tubes, you have to disassemble and patch (or replace) the tube.

As for air, this is the way I've chosen to go, it works great, I use it for cars, bikes, regularly.

You take a cheapo Campbell Hausfeld 12v compressor and remove the mostly-empty plastic case that it's in, and you end up with a very powerful, very tiny package.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/air-pump/

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have been looking at plug kits and am amazed at the prices. It seems a good compact plug kit with a small compressor will run $125 or so. I realize if I am stranded on the side of a mountain that will seem like nothing. It is still tough to spend that for something i might not even be able to use if I have a flat. Im guessing I would need to be at a place in the road with a wide flat shoulder before I could attempt repair.

What do you carry if anything?
Always carry a plug kit and compressor (about 65 bucks from cruzer customizing) and a can of fix-a-flat when I'm on the road out of town. Don't take up no room at all in the bags. Also got road service coverage (300 bucks worth) thru my insurance co. for about 6 bucks a month for all three of my vehicles. Had a front flat last September in Left-nut, Wy and had everything to take care of it onboard my scoot. Much cheaper than calling Ernie's Towing and Bait Shop for a service call. Local Hardly dealer wouldn't touch it cause it weren't a HD but that's another tale.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a touratech plug kit and the Slime compressor. Less that $60 for both. I have used them 3 or 4 times on friends bikes and they work great. Also had to install a 15 amp power port to handle the compressor. The one on by Goldwing only handles 5 amps. the Touratech kit is fast and easy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just ordered new rear tire and the Ride On product that balances and seals punctures. What could be better? :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
On my bicycle I have a little pouch that hangs from the saddle that's got spare tubes, tire levers and a CO2 inflator.

On the motorcycle, which is considerably harder to access the tubes on the side of the road, I carry roadside insurance :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts