Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I replaced the rear tire on my 900LT with another OEM Dunlop 404 and after 14,000 km (8700 miles) It looks like I need to replace it again. I just had a new Dunlop 404 put on the front this year.

Do the tires have to match? Can I have a Dunlop up front and put a Metzeler or a Pirelli on the rear?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Is not as important as it once was..........Lots mix and match....Myself included.......I would think u would not want 2 use a Bias and a radial.....As long as is 2 bias or 2 radial u r good.......:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mixing brands doesn't matter. High performance tires are meant to work together, but unless you're running your 900 in a supermoto I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Should be no problem; I've been running a Metzeler 880 on the rear and the OEM Dunlop on the front for the last year with no problems.

I was totally disappointed with the stock Dunlop as it only lasted about 6000 miles; the Metzeler rides better and is wearing much better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ditto. When my rear Dunlop wore out, I went with the Metzler 880. I rode that with the Dunlop up front for about a year until the front needed replacing. Now I am on 2 Metzlers because they are such a better tire. I never had a problem riding 2 different tires. Although, when I finally got the front changed, the difference in the ride was huge. I think this is partially due to the construction of the Metzler and partially due to the fact I had worn a flat spot all the way around at just left of center on the Dunlop. Just getting a round tire up there a huge improvement.

·
Registered
711 Posts
No they dont. If you look around some brands like Avon Venum the rear and the front have a different pattern. And even if they come with the same design the rear is usually wider than the front so again I don't believe it makes any difference. On a vehicle with all 4 then yes it matters.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Should be no problem; I've been running a Metzeler 880 on the rear and the OEM Dunlop on the front for the last year with no problems.

I was totally disappointed with the stock Dunlop as it only lasted about 6000 miles; the Metzeler rides better and is wearing much better.
-you are disappointed that your stock Dunlop lasted 6000 miles , i have reached 6000 miles and my stock tires are still brand new so i don't know if i should be happy or not ? it may sound weird but i love replacing tires !!! i love the felling of having new tires ??? now i try to burn the stock just to replace them !! the ruber is still good no sllipping , good handling , braking .
most of my riding 60-70 mph , maybe i need to do a burnout .

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
As long as they are both black or both white, it won't look too funny. As for handling the likelyhood of you ever noticing a difference is highly improbable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts