Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pair of throw over bags from willie and max and measured them to fit over the bike. While I have2 inch clearance over the pipes I am wondering if they will move around and somwhow get trapped in the rear wheel or interefere with the brakes.
Anyone have any ideas on this as I would prefer not to hard mount them as it appears there is a rather large bracket that hangs over the side that it is to attach to

·
Banned
593 Posts
I just bought a pair of throw over bags from willie and max and measured them to fit over the bike. While I have2 inch clearance over the pipes I am wondering if they will move around and somwhow get trapped in the rear wheel or interefere with the brakes.
Anyone have any ideas on this as I would prefer not to hard mount them as it appears there is a rather large bracket that hangs over the side that it is to attach to
Tiefighter speaks the truth. A lot of people go immediately for the cheapest option, but it's not always the best option.

I went for option 3 (Edge Brackets, as they are now called). Fu%$*ng awesome product. Yea, a little pricey at about $145 for the set. But, let me tell you - secure, looks good, and strong. And, no ugly crap hanging off the bike on the days that you decide to ditch the bags. Here's what my bike looks like without the bags on.

I've had those bags loaded the hell down and ridden a 700+ mile trip with beer, liquor, guns, wine . . . all kinds of crap in there. No problems whatsoever. The brackets have a lock with a key, so it's hard for somebody to just take them off the bike - but it's easy for you to take them off when you want. I can literally have each bag off in about 15 seconds.

I would definitely look into them!!

Somebody recently posted in the forum about

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
with beer, liquor, guns, wine . . .
ah .... a man with priorities.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I know of 3 options:

1. No bracket-risk bag rubbing against wheel or other moving parts.
2. Square wire type bracket-cheapest bracket to get.
3. Quick release bracket that only shows two bolts, when bag is removed. I have this, and its very nice: http://www.ghostbrackets.com/
+1 on #3. Love my Easy Brackets. A little pricey but easy on and off for cleaning, traveling, or just when you want that "stripped down look".

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I bought Saddlemen throwovers for mine. I tried leaving them as throwovers for a while, but with the yokes over the back fender and the ties holding the bags to the supports, I was a long way from the clean, permanent look I wanted. And since I use the bags every time I ride, or near enough, I didn't really see the point in being able to take them off.

So I got a couple fender washers, grabbed the ol' C3, and hardmounted 'em. I don't regret it. While it's true you can't just pack stuff in the bags then take 'em off the bike while traveling, they do make zippered inserts for them. I haven't tried them, but they're on my list of potential purchases.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you dont have to solid mount them, but at the very least do have some saddlebag supports behind them. i only put mine on for a trip or something, but the brackets stay on permantly. seeing the brackets on there without the bags covering them doesnt bother me like it does some poeple i guess.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ghost Brackets are another option. Same price as the Edge, but several inches wider. If you have standard size bags, the Edge Brackets will be fine. But I agree, go with option 3. I can remove my bags (with Ghost Brackets) in about 10 seconds, and with no brackets hanging there, cleaning the wheel is a lot easier.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Ghost Brackets are another option. Same price as the Edge, but several inches wider.
:confused: Ummmm . . . huh? They're the exact same thing. They used to be called "Ghost" brackets, but they're now called "Edge" brackets. They're available in several different widths, but they're the exact same product.;)

From the website:

·
Registered
735 Posts
:confused: Ummmm . . . huh? They're the exact same thing. They used to be called "Ghost" brackets, but they're now called "Edge" brackets. They're available in several different widths, but they're the exact same product.;)

From the website:
I was thinking of the "Easy Brackets." When I bought my Ghost Brackets, the alternative was the Easy Brackets. The Ghost Brackets were wider, otherwise, they were pretty much the same. Sounds like Ghost has changed its name to Edge. Why'd they do that? :confused:

·
Banned
593 Posts
I was thinking of the "Easy Brackets." When I bought my Ghost Brackets, the alternative was the Easy Brackets. The Ghost Brackets were wider, otherwise, they were pretty much the same. Sounds like Ghost has changed its name to Edge. Why'd they do that? :confused:

If you look at the Edge website, you'll see that the company that distributes the Ghost Brackets, you'll see that it's "CAO Distributing". However, they have a "new name and new home" - Edge Brackets, a part of Edge Leather.

I'm betting that they eaither partnered to help each other our, or that Edge Leather bought CAO Distributing, to make their company a one-stop shop.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I'm betting that they eaither partnered to help each other our, or that Edge Leather bought CAO Distributing, to make their company a one-stop shop.
Actually, they were both bought out by Kuryakyn.

I had Edge model 102 bags on Easy Brackets on my 900 Classic and was very happy with both items. Both were very well-made products.

Joe

·
Banned
593 Posts
Actually, they were both bought out by Kuryakyn.

I had Edge model 102 bags on Easy Brackets on my 900 Classic and was very happy with both items. Both were very well-made products.

Joe
Very cool. That was pretty smart on the part of Kuryakyn. Thank you for that update!

I've wondered about their bags - they look pretty cool. But the brackets are just amazing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts