Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a nice leather motorcycle jacket, but I'm considering buying something a little lighter in weight for warm weather riding.

Here is one of the jackets I'm considering. http://www.jaminleather.com/Lightweight-Nylon-and-Leather-Motorcycle-Jacket-with-Vents-P909.aspx

I just wonder if this nylon would "flap" in the wind when riding? I hate the sound of a thin jacket flapping in the breeze when I get above 35 mph or thereabouts.

So, what do you say? I've never owned a nylon motorcycle jacket before. Just owned those flimsy nylon wind breakers which I hate as far as riding is concerned. Do you think this jacket would "flap" in the breeze or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My leather jacket was poorly ventilated and it would always catch the wind and flap around. I bought a mesh/textile jacket which "breathes" much better and let's the air pass through. It does not flap at all.

Sent from my Tricorder using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I wear a Scorpion mesh jacket with real CE-approved armor guards, comes with a waterproof liner and a thermal liner. For me, it is pretty much a year-round jacket. I think it looks good, it's very comfortable, and I have that protection. No, it doesn't flap.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Look around, some jackets have fasteners to prevent that.

My jacket, for example, is lightweight but it has straps along the bottom (where it sits around your waist) and on the arms. You sinch them tight, and it doesn't flap around at all. Basically makes the jacket 'custom fit'.

From the looks of it, looks like that jacket has the same thing, so it should sinch tight and not flap. It's not like you have to cut off circulation either, just get it snug.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Romans, my favorite touring jacket is a textile with a zip out bodice, sleeves and back down to mesh while still retaining a full textile shoulder and elbow ... all with 3ce body armor...

It does not flap, is a quarter of the weight of leather and cost under $70 at leatherup.com.

If it starts raining, i just zip the panels back in, its waterproof.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Romans, my favorite touring jacket is a textile with a zip out bodice, sleeves and back down to mesh while still retaining a full textile shoulder and elbow ... all with 3ce body armor...

-snip-

It does not flap, is a quarter of the weight of leather and cost under $70 at leatherup.com.

If it starts raining, i just zip the panels back in, its waterproof.
That's a pretty sharp lookin' jacket!

I like mine alot, but I have been looking for a lighter mesh jacket for the summer. Although mine isn't too bad in the summer, but it doesn't have any vents (the material breathes decently though).

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have found that any jacket, regardless of style, fabric, leather or nylon, that has vents, when opened, balloons up and make me look like the michelin man.

There are several manufactures that do an all mesh jacket with body armor, i have a couple of different brands myself. These come with removable rain liners. My fav is the above one though, it will do 3 seasons and comes with a quilted liner as well as the zip out panels.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The jacket from Jamin Leathers looks nice and from the design, should not flap. Could wear it late Fall, Winter, and early Spring in these mild temperatures we usually have here in the Texas Hill Country, those times of the year.

May give it a try and price seems right, too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The jacket from Jamin Leathers looks nice and from the design, should not flap. Could wear it late Fall, Winter, and early Spring in these mild temperatures we usually have here in the Texas Hill Country, those times of the year.

May give it a try and price seems right, too.
I ordered that jacket from Jamin today. When I called to inquire about the jacket, the lady said that they had the exact same jacket with removable armor in the shoulder, elbow, and the back. I asked how much extra it cost for the one with armor. She said that it was the same price $99.99 So I ordered the one with armor. If I don't like the armor, I can take it out.

She was very helpful with info on jacket size, weight of the nylon material, cuff size, etc. In fact, she personally picked out the jacket in my size and measured it and said she would take it over to the shipping department to send to me as soon as we finished talking. It isn't often that you can talk with someone who will personally pick out the item you're inquiring about, take measurements that you ask about, and then agree to send you THAT EXACT item. I hope I like it. I think I will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts