Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd been hearing about blind spot mirrors for while but didn't think they'd make much of a difference. Yesterday I did my own test on my Vulcan S. Do any of you use them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPym1VnVQFk

Quality bikes come stock with convex mirrors(ala Harley-Davidson).

I ditched the stock mirrors for a pair of Russ wernimont contour (convex) mirrors when I had my S.

Edit: I do head checks as well
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I guess I'm blessed that I can still find a way to look back over both shoulders, and see the "blind spots" at 65 years old and with a modular helmet. I have severe arthritis in my left shoulder, so I have to tilt my head forward then turn back to see, but it still works. I set my mirrors so that, with head movement, I can see all the way around. Doing this on the bike has gotten me into the habit in my autos, too. Because I do that, the "blind spot" mirrors would likely be more of a distraction than aid to me, especially on the bike.

It constantly surprises me how many bikers do not turn their heads to see more of what's around them, especially when changing lanes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I guess I'm blessed that I can still find a way to look back over both shoulders, and see the "blind spots" at 65 years old and with a modular helmet. I have severe arthritis in my left shoulder, so I have to tilt my head forward then turn back to see, but it still works. I set my mirrors so that, with head movement, I can see all the way around. Doing this on the bike has gotten me into the habit in my autos, too. Because I do that, the "blind spot" mirrors would likely be more of a distraction than aid to me, especially on the bike.

It constantly surprises me how many bikers do not turn their heads to see more of what's around them, especially when changing lanes.
Agree 100% Sabre-t. You’d have to be nuts not to be doing head checks on a motorcycle. I have no use for blind spot mirrors. I only ever use the mirrors to see what’s coming up behind me, while riding. I certainly wouldn’t be changing lanes without turning my head to look first. If you think you have no time to turn your head and look, you’re following the vehicle in front of you too closely. A lot of people have no clue as to how to adjust their mirrors correctly either. They don’t call head checks “lifesavers” for no reason! It’s one of the first things they teach you to do at any MSF course.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I do head checks as well but my head doesn't turn as far as it should any more. All things considered I'm careful when changing lanes but nonetheless I should start looking into alternatives before something bad happens.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do head checks. If I used the extra little mirror it would be as addition to head checks.

I also think that doing a head check creates movement that others may see, and that's another bonus of a head check.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I do head checks. If I used the extra little mirror it would be as addition to head checks.

I also think that doing a head check creates movement that others may see, and that's another bonus of a head check.

Gerry
good point. many are more likely to see the movement than to notice turn signals.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Never used them as I trust the head check, even when the road is wide open. Funny story though, I was driving in my car yesterday when I saw a Suzuki sport bike weaving in and out of traffic. I was in the left lane with moderately heavy traffic and once in front of me I noticed the sport bike rider with the left hand hanging down as they often do and I saw a very extended head check (to the left) but he had no lane to go into. I thought this unusual (my nine year old daughter thought it was odd too). I then saw him do it (again to the left) 3 more times before our turn so I started counting one one thousand, two one thousand....each time no less than 7 seconds and in the extremely comfortable riding position. Don't know if we were witnessing his awesome riding prowess or what but nonetheless, I wouldn't consider that a safe head turn!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
....each time no less than 7 seconds and in the extremely comfortable riding position. Don't know if we were witnessing his awesome riding prowess or what but nonetheless, I wouldn't consider that a safe head turn!
Sounds like he was looking for his pals trying to catch up to him. Anyway, when I learned how to drive, I was taught to "Check the mirrors but trust your eyes. Turn your head and look." I've had a couple of instances in my car where I had to quickly re-think a lane change, but never on my bike. I think I'm more conscious of safety when I'm wide open like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a cyclist out on the roads, I had a helmet mounted mirror and loved that thing. Now it has me thinking, why not something like that on a motorcycle?

On the bicycle, I had more than 180° field of view behind and beside me in the mirror with turning my head.

I was never good at turning enough to do a head check behind me either on the motorcycle for 4 years back then (returning rider since this weekend) or on the bicycle (4 years of week+ long bicycle touring.)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
As a cyclist out on the roads, I had a helmet mounted mirror and loved that thing. Now it has me thinking, why not something like that on a motorcycle?

On the bicycle, I had more than 180° field of view behind and beside me in the mirror with turning my head.

I was never good at turning enough to do a head check behind me either on the motorcycle for 4 years back then (returning rider since this weekend) or on the bicycle (4 years of week+ long bicycle touring.)

Things happen a lot faster on a motorcycle, not only that the buffeting and head strain from a helmet mounted mirror would give you one tremendous headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts