Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
99% of the time "I" use regular. Once a month, I throw Premium in, just for the additional chemicals

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
MOM says to use the premium, so that's what I use... Plus, we've got a little shop here that sells it pure, NO ETHANOL!!!

I did put about 1/2 a tank of regular unleaded in yesterday though, as where we stopped to fill up, there was no premium choice. I didn't notice much of a change in performance, but I topped it off with premium again when I got home, just the same.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I go with premium. Why wouldn't you? If I had a huge gas tank I wouldn't but with a 5 gallon tank, not much price difference and my 900 runs great. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Premium, most of the time, but never regular. I guess that I buy into the fact that someone on TV says that it is better, I have no other proof. My car gets regular.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Both my previous bikes ran better on regular. The Chicago area has the crappiest gas in the country and the most expensive. I ran Premium for the first few tanks and am going to try regular for a couple tanks to compare. I will post my results.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, I didn't think I'd be the only one running regular. Mine runs fine on it. Maybe I'll put a tank of premium in there next time and see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The extra octane in premium fuel helps the engine run cooler and help prevent knock and ping. That said, I run regular in the winter when my engines need the extra heat and premium in the summer when they need to run cooler.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Manual says regular--I say regular. Mine runs like a scalded cat on 87 octane pump gas. No knocks, pings or hesitations. Spend the buck I save on a beer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Manual says regular--I say regular. Mine runs like a scalded cat on 87 octane pump gas. No knocks, pings or hesitations. Spend the buck I save on a beer.
The manual says premium. Well actually it says a RON of 91.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use premium unless there is only regular but at about four and a half gallons per fill up I don't see the 20 since a gallon difference making it about an 80 cent difference per tank. Its worth the 80 cents.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Regular or Unleaded?

In Minnesota all gas is normally unleaded. You can find a couple loading depots that might have regular on hand if you buy bulk for a farm.
Here is something I tested on my 2009 LT:

Running 87 octane fuel (10% ethanol) reduces my fuel mileage to around 38 mpg and the engine has a acceleration valve ping and de-acceleration vale ping.

Running 89 octane fuel (10% ethanol) increases my mileage to about 42 mpg and lessens the value ping.

Running 92 octane. fuel (10% ethanol) my mileage is at around 50+ mpg and the valve ping on both acceleration and de-acceleration is almost not noticeable.

According to the owners manual, you can run 87 octane fuel. Well this is true you can run 87 octane fuel, you just suffer annoying pinging noise from the valves and poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good points khgiese.

I average 43 MPG on regular. 50 MPG sounds goal-worthy. The next 10 gallons I put in it will be the high test stuff. If I can get 50 MPG my wife will probably kick the shinola out of me for getting better mileage than her Burgman.

Good thread. It got me to peruse the manual again. What the hell is this RON/MON thing? Just print the octane rating already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use premium. I did the full debaffle on my stock pipes last week along with marbling the reed valves and have noticed my gas mileage is now risen to 55 MPG.

I use to have a Vulcan 500 and could only get 58 MPG with that!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Man. I can't see the debaffle doing that much, even with marbling. I have after market pipes. Maybe I will marble. But I like the pop. I have to play with the computer that I have and see what it can do for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I started out with regular, but have been using the mid-grade stuff. It runs better all around on the midgrade stuff. I might try a couple of tanks of the primo, but I'm probably stay with the mid-range (89).

1 - 20 of 99 Posts