Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy at work has a 750 V-Star, and he lowered his rear end himself without a kit.

I was wondering if it was possible to do the same on our bikes?
He said that he just drilled holes and mounted the rear shocks in a new location and it lowered it...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
149 Posts
The"'Three Position (1", 2", or 3") Adjustable LoRidr Kit" from Scootworks for the Vulcan 900 is $139.99. What do you think you would be saving by trying to drill the OEM trailing arm? That said, from what I remember, the width of the OEM trailing arm will not allow for drilling additional holes to lower the bike. Maybe somebody else can comment further and shed more light on the subject.

·
Registered
208 Posts
No you can not do that to a 900. I know exactly what you are talking about and have done it to my wifes VStar. So, the VStar frame is different than the Kawi frame, to where the shock head on the Yami sits just behind / below the tank. The shock head on our Kawis faces more to the rear under the seat area.

The only thing you have to do to lower the Yami is what is called the J-Slam, consists of drilling new shock head mounting bolt holes an inch forward into the frame. If the new hole is an inch forward the swing arm drops 4 inches, go with a 1/2 inch forward, you only get 2 inches. So you have to make sure how low you want to go because you only get to do it once. It's is an easy, free way to lower the Yami and makes it easy to put back to stock height. We were able to get a 3 inch drop on my wifes Classic Yami, and it made it to where she has no problems flat footing and backing up.

Unfortunatly we can not get so lucky with our 900's. The lowering kit is the only option we have to get lower. It actually isn't that hard to change the bracket out and it has adjustable heights. The Yami doesnt. And its also easy to put it back to stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts