Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a big ride coming up (1600 miles in 3 days) and don't have the cash for a new seat right now. I was thinking of cheap solutions to the stock seat problem and this is what I came up with. Good ole Wally-World sells little gel seat cushions that you can put in the seat of your car, they also sell memory foam mattresses. I was thinking you could buy both of these then remove the cover off your stock seat. Mold the foam of the seat, the memory foam (after you have cut it down to fit of course) and the cut the gel insert to fit. Lay the memory foam on top of the stock foam, then lay the gel insert on top of that. Do any minor tweeks to make sure it's good. As in put the seat back on the bike and make sure it's nice and comfy. Then just recover it using a staple gun. This also allows you to customize your seat/seat cover if you feel like it. I'm not sure if anyone has done this but I figured it might be a cheaper solution than spending 300-700 bucks on a new seat that might be good enough. This way, if it's not good enough your only out maybe 70 bucks and you could redo it to make it better. I plan on doing this next week or the week after. I'll post an update if I get it done it time for the big trip (15th to the 18th). Any suggestions are always welcome!

·
Registered
59 Posts
looking forward to seeing pictures

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually I think that's an extremely sensible solution. I am an avid fix the problem myself-er. Too many times when I was younger did I trust my money and satisfaction to the hands of an unqualified craftsman, at least to me it seemed so. When I first purchased my en500 a few months ago I thought the seat seemed just right, didn't understand what people didn't like about it. But now after months of riding for many times 6 or so hours a day regularly I'm beginning to understand the shortcomings that others may see in it. I'm about to have mine recovered or rather a new cover resewn for me, only because I don't own a sewing machine and have no clue how to run one, but I'll definitely be making some personal adjustments to the stiffness and shape of my seat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have heard you should put the gel under the foam, that way your butt can sorta breath and not be right over/on the gel. Just a thought.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this goes well I think we should make it a sticky, save some people some money.

*Disclaimer* I'm not trying to give any Companys a bad rep or anything, I'm just a do-it-yourself kind of guy and like saving money, like most peopl.
*Disclaimer*

·
Registered
343 Posts
I did mine but found a good deal on a mustang seat like the next day so I only tested it one short ride.It was way better than stock but not as nice as the mustang.If I would have used the seat I would have but more foam in the [email protected] 1st was trying to get more leg room but you need allot of foam to get rid of the vibes.

What I used was 1/4 inch foam(for boats) & 3m spray adhesive after applying each layer with the spray I would take a makita hand grinder to it to smooth it off on the side.My goal was to get the curve out & make it more like the mustang(more of a angle).First I ground allot of the curve out of the stock seat,then applied like seven layers with 2 going up the back(should of been more)

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hi, What kind of a staple gun did you use to re-attach the seat cover ? I have a good quality hand staple-gun, and I was wondering if it would drive staples into the plastic base, or if I would have to use an air-stapler ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
273 Posts
redo seat

I am extremely interested in the results. I'm on the bubble too, trying to decide whether to bit the bullet and spend the big bucks on the mustang. I took my bike to the seat guy and for $135 he would take all the foam out and replace it with memory foam but I still don't know if that would be a good result? This sounds better even if it isn't good, I could still go the mustang route afterwards. The stock seat isn't flat enough for me, my butt lines up on the back vertical part as I'm 6'2". Some told me the mustang isn't good for my height and other said it is?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Used a regular stable gun but you really have to push on it.Some didn't go all the way in so I would take them out & try again

The mustang seat will push you forward about a inch but its either that or you have to live with the curve.The seat I did is perfect tall guy set up but there is not enough foam in the back part.To make my other seat comfy it would be almost the same as the mustang but maybe not as much straight up in the back.I had that seat apart a few times but it needs at least one more & it would be good if not better than the mustang

1 - 11 of 11 Posts