Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I installed a HardKrome Sideburner pipe early in the spring.
On a cold start the bike did pop a little during fast idle, and would pop on decel, but i could live with it for a bit.
Now the bike is put up for the winter and i recently installed Baron's big air kit, along with the wire marrett(marble trick).
When i started the bike , i noticed that it seemed to sound smoother, no steady popping as it was before.
So now i have a few questions:
1.Do i really need a fuel management system?
2.Is the marble trick neccessary if i do get a fuel management system?
3.Is the throttle plate mod truly worth its time and effort?
Thanks in advance for any input!.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Where abouts in Ontario are you? I'm in downtown Toronto. There's quite a few threads in this forum on fuel management and worth the search if you are considering buying one. The general concensus is that you need one if you add an aftermarket air intake but not necessarily if you just change the exhaust. I found when I switched to V&H staggered slashcuts that I had considerable popping on decel. A Power Comander III cut the popping down about 50%. Marbling cut it back again significantly but I still get a little. I've got the Cobra PowerFlo air intake and the Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro on my wish list.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Dyno run with an exhaust gas analyzer is the only way to see where your present state of tune is sitting. No guesswork involved.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hello all,
I installed a HardKrome Sideburner pipe early in the spring.
On a cold start the bike did pop a little during fast idle, and would pop on decel, but i could live with it for a bit.
Now the bike is put up for the winter and i recently installed Baron's big air kit, along with the wire marrett(marble trick).
When i started the bike , i noticed that it seemed to sound smoother, no steady popping as it was before.
So now i have a few questions:
1.Do i really need a fuel management system?
2.Is the marble trick neccessary if i do get a fuel management system?
3.Is the throttle plate mod truly worth its time and effort?
Thanks in advance for any input!.
You have to answer the question, did you install the pipes and air kit for looks or for performance? If performance is one of the answers then a quality fuel processor is the logical next step. If you go with the PCV alone, then as sfair posts, dyno the bike at a shop that has top flight equipment and qualified technicians. If that's not possible then go with the Autotune from Dynojet on top of your PCV or buy the Cobra Powrpro 2000. Both setups adjust the fuel on the fly. If you remove the secondary throttle plates, I guarantee you will want a fuel processor. I run the PCV with Autotune on my Vulcan and the Cobra Powrpro on my VTX1800. I'm quite satisfied with both. The Powrpro is definitely easier to install.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Collinba, i am north of Kingston.

Sojourner,i installed the pipes for sound first,looks second, but i installed the Barons air kit purely for looks.
What makes you so sure that i will definatley want a fuel management system if i remove the throttle plate?, please explain.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Collinba, i am north of Kingston.

Sojourner,i installed the pipes for sound first,looks second, but i installed the Barons air kit purely for looks.
What makes you so sure that i will definatley want a fuel management system if i remove the throttle plate?, please explain.
The secondary throttle plates are motor driven. They are designed to act like a CV carburetor operates which is, even though you crank open the primary throttle quickly it's vacuum that operates the diaphragm which opens the way for air and fuel to enter the engine. It smooths out the operation of the street engine at the cost of instant performance. Great for the street but not for quick acceleration. In our case the ECU controls the motor that opens the secondary throttle plates and does so more slowly than your right wrist. By removing the plates the additional air to the engine is immediate but the ECU is controlling the fuel to the injector body (map) and still thinks the secondary throttle plates are there restricting the air. As a result the engine will go flat until the ECU allows the injectors to catch up with the primary throttle position. With a fuel manager, you can map your way around the flat spot, or simply let the Autotune or Powrpro do the adjusting on the fly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for breaking that down for me , but will it still be necessary to use the marble trick or should I take it out when I do install a programmer?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for breaking that down for me , but will it still be necessary to use the marble trick or should I take it out when I do install a programmer?
Do the marble regardless. unless you're a tree hugger and can't stand the thought of sending a trace of unburned gas out the pipes. To me it's a trade off because noise pollution is being eliminated at the cost of a few fumes finding their way out of your engine. You'll also find that when you let off the throttle, by going to full zero throttle and not trailing your throttle, a lot of the decel popping is eliminated. The fuel manager can be adjusted to richen the lower throttle position range, from 1500 RPM up to redline to eliminate the decel popping too. A richer zero throttle will cause the unburned gasses to be too cool to reignite when coming in contact with fresh air. Keep in mind your new pipes are sucking fresh air back up the pipe after every exhaust pulse from the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
+1 on all the great info. I have all the listed mods, and all I can say is wow, I am so pleased with all the mods. I was out today and snapping open the throttle the bike just takes off down the highway. I highly recommend for performance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like im gonna have to start collecting bottles along the road side for cash, cause its hard to find a good deal on an auto-tune unit. LOL

Thats for all the input, its certainly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Sounds like im gonna have to start collecting bottles along the road side for cash, cause its hard to find a good deal on an auto-tune unit. LOL

Thats for all the input, its certainly appreciated.
Take a look here for price. Phat Performance Parts, phatperformanceparts.com. I would put the Cobra Powrpro 2000 above the PCV with Autotune for your application simply because you aren't racing the bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
BTW the Baron website says u do not need a tuner with the bak.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, i pulled the trigger and ordered the Cobra powerpro auto tune, but my next question is, is there any indicator of whether or not that the unit is actually working?, i mean power wise, and will it fatten it up too much and choke out everyone riding behind me?,lol

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well, i pulled the trigger and ordered the Cobra powerpro auto tune, but my next question is, is there any indicator of whether or not that the unit is actually working?, i mean power wise, and will it fatten it up too much and choke out everyone riding behind me?,lol
IMHO you will get the performance you are looking for with the Powrpro. I am delighted with the unit on my VTX and that was replacing my aging PCIII. If the unit is working as advertised, it is adjusting your fuel on the run for best performance. Too rich a mixture would hurt power output so no need to worry about your fellow riders getting choked out as the Powrpro will constantly be trimming the a/f.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
There is a light indicator to let you know the unit is working. As for the power, oh yeah, have had mine now for 6+ months, and it's great. Noticed a change right away. You'll like it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I might be putting the cart before the horse here , but those with the autotune, is it time consuming doing the install, do you have to run/hide any wiring ?, is it piggybacked on to the injector harness?, i would just like to know what i'm getting into for the install, before it arrives.

P.S. i just downloaded the instructions from Cobra, looks pretty straight forward

1 - 20 of 21 Posts