Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Look after your bike & it will look after you. i would change it at least every 6 months regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If your oil is a nice golden amber; like in the above pic; you don't need to change it because you don't ever ride the bike anyway. :)

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I change mine every six months. For 45 bucks it's worth it. Just like my truck, 10 years old with only 65k on it. I change the oil every three months. I take it to a shop by my house, 26 bucks. Peace of mind........Priceless.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I change mine every six months. For 45 bucks it's worth it. Just like my truck, 10 years old with only 65k on it. I change the oil every three months. I take it to a shop by my house, 26 bucks. Peace of mind........Priceless.
10 years old and "only" 65K miles onit? Pfffttt... I got a 30 year old truck with 94K on it. It runs like it has half that mileage. :grin2:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I can do mine for about $15, with good old fashioned dino oil.

94k miles - Phhhhtt!
My car has 175,000 miles at 12 years old - runs like new - change oil between 5000 and 10,000 miles.
Plan to keep it another 2-4 years! Put about 11,000 miles a year on it now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Changing oil once a year shouldn't be a problem as long as most of your rides are long enough to get the engine up to normal operating temperature for at least 30 minutes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Even dinosaur oil is of far higher quality than the oil of 25 years ago. Oils have various detergents and other additives that give far longer protection against acids and other harmful pollutants produced by internal combustion. Therefore, it is my opinion that too frequent oil changes do not accomplish anything to extend engine life. Having said that, I change the oil in all of my internal combustion engines more frequently than recommended by the manufacturer. The days of the 3,000 mile oil change are long gone, although my observation is that many people who say they change oil that often, don't. My 12 year old VW Jetta diesel gets oil changes at 5 to 6,000 miles, religiously, instead of the 10k recommended by VW. At 224,000, it is going strong. My Vulcan gets a lot less miles on it and once a year is quite fine, especially since I use the Kawasaki full synthetic in it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I can do mine for about $15, with good old fashioned dino oil.

94k miles - Phhhhtt!
My car has 175,000 miles at 12 years old - runs like new - change oil between 5000 and 10,000 miles.
Plan to keep it another 2-4 years! Put about 11,000 miles a year on it now.
12 years old with 175k isn't much to brag about. My Chevy is over twice the age with less miles. Your driving about 14.5k miles a year. My truck has a little over 3100 miles a year on average. And I plan to keep it till it dies.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I thought you were bragging about your high mileage at 94k, so I stated I had 175,000.

Hey, I'll keep this car until the repair cost out-ways the cost of a different one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I chane my oil every spring and then in another 3000 miles probably in august.Cheap piece of mind.As long as we are talking mileage,I have 340,000 on my 08 GMC Sierra.Miles not kilometers.Still goes great,burns about a quart of oil every 1500 miles.Everything still is nice and tight on it,drives like my son in laws 2012.Still gets about 19 miles a gallon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Burning a qt in 1500 sounds like you're adding too much oil & blowing it out thru your motor. I change 10w 40 in my '12 Nomad every 5k, about twice a year as I ride daily all year. Full synthetic. Good idea to read the manual on how to check oil. Warm up & level first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Burning a qt in 1500 sounds like you're adding too much oil & blowing it out thru your motor. I change 10w 40 in my '12 Nomad every 5k, about twice a year as I ride daily all year. Full synthetic. Good idea to read the manual on how to check oil. Warm up & level first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Think 4b316 was talkn about his gmc,340k wow impressive,had 170k on my sierra when frame broke,ny for ya,,,,thought this was a bike forum:smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ford taurus 285000 miles barely changed oil, started up every day, ran a bit bit rough near the end but got the job done, had to get rid of it because the floor was rusting out and it needed a heater core. Oh wait bike forum, I love my vulcan, change oil every 3500 miles, BUT my buddy who like you only put on a 1000 miles a year, changed his every 2 years, still running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, change every year, but more often? maybe

A good reason to change your oil every year is because combustion byproducts find their way into the oil, and it is not good to have oil with contaminants running through your engine and sitting in it over the winter. The mileage recommended by manufacturers includes a consideration for how "loosely" built an engine is, heat the oil will experience and how much oil the pan holds relative to the size of the engine, among other things. An engine built to higher tolerances does not contaminate the oil as quickly, hence it can be used longer.

Here's a comparison story: In the late '80s I had a Chevy 2.8L V6 that from new, would start using oil within 1,500 miles after an oil change. I checked with GM and they said it was still considered within specification. Oil capacity was 5 quarts. The recommended oil changes interval was 3,000 miles. In contrast, I've owned a 1986 Porsche for 17 years and have driven it an average of 8,000 miles per year. The factory recommended oil change interval is 15,000 miles. The oil capacity is 6 quarts for a 2.5L engine, and the engine has a dedicated oil cooler. I have not babied this engine and always change the oil just once a year before storing it for winter. It has about 180k miles on the clock, runs like new, and doesn't even need to be topped off between oil changes.

Motorcycle engines, especially if not water cooled, can be tough on oil. Also, don't forget your engine oil is also lubricating your transmission. My advice: Use top quality oil. Follow the manufacturer recommendation on mileage and time. Change the oil and filter at least once a year if you don't reach manufacturer limits. Change the oil before you store for the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
one vote for at least once a year regardless of mileage. the temp changes where most people store a motorcycle will have moisture accumulate in the oil or crankcase starting it periodically will help evaporate it and stir it up but still needs to be flushed out.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
one vote for at least once a year regardless of mileage. the temp changes where most people store a motorcycle will have moisture accumulate in the oil or crankcase starting it periodically will help evaporate it and stir it up but still needs to be flushed out.
Haven't seen it on the Voyager, but the oil in my Honda Sabre would get a milky emulsion when it cooled after a ride during the winter. Warm to operating temp, check the oil and it was milky. Not unusual for a Sabre. Ride for 10 minutes and the emulsion was gone. I always changed the oil early spring because the water was probably interfering with the acid reducers in the oil.

I change the oil twice a year for the Voyager. 10W-40 for winter and 20W-50 for summer. It gets hot enough for long enough in Georgia that I feel 20W-50 is appropriate, plus I always seem to find myself in creeping traffic. The hotter the day, the longer and slower that creeping is, it seems.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I’ve put over 5000 miles on my bike since October and I live in Seattle. You need to ride more man! But oil is the life blood of your engine. If you’re not gonna ride it, at least treat it well. Now get out there and RIDE!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts