Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First of all, I'm new to your forum. I have been a Honda Shadow 1100 rider for the last 5 years and just sold my bike.

Now the search begins.......... What to buy????

I'm 6'2" and 250lbs so I find many bikes to be too small and uncomfortable.

A buddy of mine has a Vulcan 1500 classic which is extremely comfortable.

I recently saw a 2004 Vulcan 2000 for sale with very low km's on it and thinking maybe I will buy that???

I have been reading many posts here about them and so far so good?

PLEASE EXPRESS YOUR OPINION ON YOUR VULCAN 2000

what you don't like
what you do like,

any problems you have had

IF I LOOKING AT THIS BIKE, WHAT SHOULD I LOOK AT THAT MAY BE A COMMON PROBLEM?

cheers and thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
First things first...welcome to the forum
In regards to the v2k? I have had mine for a year now, and haven't had any trouble with it, and haven't found anything I don't like about it. it is a heavy bike, but once it's in motion I find it to be very well balanced and easy to move around. The ONLY complaint for me so far is the speed at which it devours rear tires. I think I have the solution for that to though....darkside. Other than that I love my 2k!!! Go for it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too ride a Shadow (in addition to other bikes) and am considering the V2K . I don't have any concerns about reliability , but am wondering if I'll be bored with its performance . I want an exciting cruiser with some attitude that is actually a little difficult to ride , but am not sure if the big Kawy is this kind of bike . The Suzuki M109R , which I rode briefly , was fun and would threaten to go sideways if you weren't careful with the throttle , but the bike requires too much maintenance . Back to your query ; I've only read good things about the VN2000 . The engines/transmissons are noisy , and pre-2006 models may have issues with rear wheel bearings , but other than this , they seem to be high quality machines .

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I too have a 1100 Sabre and can't advise on the 2000 but I added a Nomad to the stable and love the bike. I keep the Sabre for running with the kid on his rocket. ;) :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a VN 2000, and I think it is a great ride. I am 196 cm. tall, and with 108 kg`s, a big bike is needed. I went from an older Electra Glide to this one, and it IS bigger. And what a difference in power.
If you like the 1500, you will love the 2000.
And they are not noisier than many other bikes.
A noisy belt can be cured, don`t worry about that. It happens now and then, but far from all has this problem. Did not stop me from buying.
But you will almost certainly need a better seat, for longer runs.
Gas mileage! I am from Scandinavia, so you will get it in km/l.
292 km`s on 14,46 l. = 20,19 km/l. As my best result. On a one day trip.
I did not think, it was possible. But with some town riding, I get around
15-16 km/l.
You WILL need to adjust rear shock spring tension to maximum, and rebound dampening too.
Have fun!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Prior to 2006, the rear belt pulley was a single bearing that caused some problems. See if it's been upgraded to the double bearing. The V2K's a great bike, and it does have it's little quirks, just like all makes and models. But, brother, when you twist the throttle, there's not many stock cruisers that can equal it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do I or Don't I

I've had my 2007 VN2000 since last August. I've put 11,000 miles on it and ride it almost daily. The only thing I don't like is that the front end is a bit heavy and dives into turns a bit hard when going slowly. At speed, this is a fantastic bike whether your alone or 2 up. My wife and I have been exploring Arizona on it and love it on the road. Just a bit cumbersome around town, but all in all....great bike.

·
Registered
538 Posts
csrMark.........Welcome to the Forum!

I have owned my V2K LT Classic for 3 years now and I have logged about 7K miles on her. I am 200 lbs. with a 32" inseam and have a 70" reach. When I first brough the bike home I almost thought is was too big for me, but I have since grown to love her.

The pros:

-Massive torque and raw power. No one that I ride with in our group can beat me. That includes Goldwings and Electro Glides.
-Good handling when properly maintained (as in TIRE PRESSURE).
-VERY dependable.
-Pretty! (I DID call it a "HER")
-Someone mentioned it eats back tires?? Mine is the original factory tire with 7K miles on it and I have no qualms about putting on another several thousand.
-Belt drive......I love it.
-Good fuel mileage for such a large engine (41MPG at hwy speeds)

The Cons:

-It's HEAVY at slow speeds.
-When the summer temps go up, the engine puts out a lot of heat on the right side.
-It's not the easiest bike on the planet to work on in your garage. Oil changes are difficult due to the low ground clearance.
-Taking the tank off requires some time and patience (and a manual!)

To some up my feelings.....I'd buy it again in a New York Minute.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Absolutely, buy it! ! !

I was very reluctant to get this big of a bike when I first looked early this year.
I'm not a big guy, (5'9" 180lbs) though I am strong for my size.
It takes some getting used to, but; it is only a problem when doing really slow manuvering. On the road, it's GREAT! I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Did someone say TORQUE ? :eek:

The wife and I ride 2 up most of the time. I did adjust the rear shock a bunch stiffer than stock. It handles good. I have been in the mountains and even deals gap with it.:cool: No problemo!

We both love it and are glad we decided to get it.

Now folks say that I've got the "Big One" :D

To sum up your questions. . .
What I don't like:Not much.
HOt on right side as mentioned above.
Heavy in slow conditions.
That's about it.
What I do like:Great Power and Torque.
I get 43MPG at cruising speeds.
Comfortable for me and the wife.
Looks Great.
Torque. . . Did I say that already?

No Problems in 3400 miles.
Great Bike! Buy it. You'll never have to "Upgrade".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys! I've had my 05 vn2000 for years, she's been the ride of my life! I wouldn't trade her for anything. I've made a lot of others fall in love with her too! Don't pass her up, they are getting more and more scarce..... She's amazing

·
Registered
150 Posts
The current bike I have now would burn circles around my v2k, but I still miss it all the time. I say go for it! It's a bike you won't regret owning, even if you don't keep it forever. If I could do it all over again, I would have kept mine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The current bike I have now would burn circles around my v2k, but I still miss it all the time. I say go for it! It's a bike you won't regret owning, even if you don't keep it forever. If I could do it all over again, I would have kept mine.[/QUOT

I am curious to know what it is you have that will burn circles around the V2K.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is the GREATEST V Twin bike ever made by anyone. The 04 model with that headlight IS going to be a collectors piece. Mine is 06, but will take it to grave.
Hardleys look like sissy bikes beside this beast. Wait till you park beside one, they look like mini bikes for ya kids to ride. It demands attention and gets it, everywhere I go, everyone I ride with, cannot believe how this bike goes and handles. One guy sold is High a busa and bought one like mine, he was so impressed with it.
This bike has a magic something about it that just spellbinds people into staring at it.
The M109 does not compare to this beast. Wimpy tork, drive train snatch, etc etc, get sick of it in no time type of bike, IMO. :)

OLD BIKE GUY and others here have summed it up well with their opinions of the bike.
Its only HEAVY for a couple of weeks, then it feels LIGHT.
Its only BIG for a couple of weeks, then it feels RIGHT.
Just buy the mother and lets us know when you are totally in love and under the influence of the most powerful drug in the world, that's legal.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Well this tread is now revived with new posts so here is mine. I have cash in the bank just sitting waiting for the right deal on a 2K. I have ridden one a couple years ago on a test ride. It is a lot heavier then almost every other bike out on the strip but it handles good and once your over the fear factor of dropping it on its side it will be a good one to keep. I've been upgrading slowly on bikes over the last 2 years I have had 6 different bikes that I traded up to or sold one off and bought another. I am ahead of the game now on cash in the trading so next stop will be the 2K when and if one comes available in my price range. They are one hell of a monster of a bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The current bike I have now would burn circles around my v2k, but I still miss it all the time. I say go for it! It's a bike you won't regret owning, even if you don't keep it forever. If I could do it all over again, I would have kept mine.[/QUOT

I am curious to know what it is you have that will burn circles around the V2K.

Ride Safe!
Read my SIG. It's putting out roughly the same HP numbers as a v2k and weighs a couple hundred pounds less. Toe to toe, my v2k wouldn't even come close to the current bike I have. Doesn't mean I don't miss it.

I'm going to be acquiring my dad's 1700 Vaquero in a couple few weeks to replace my old evo... but man, there is nothing like my evo or a v2k. Gotta make sure the wife stays comfy.

OP, have you figured it out yet? GET THE v2k!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Read my SIG. It's putting out roughly the same HP numbers as a v2k and weighs a couple hundred pounds less. Toe to toe, my v2k wouldn't even come close to the current bike I have. Doesn't mean I don't miss it.

I'm going to be acquiring my dad's 1700 Vaquero in a couple few weeks to replace my old evo... but man, there is nothing like my evo or a v2k. Gotta make sure the wife stays comfy.

OP, have you figured it out yet? GET THE v2k!

If you want your wife comfy put her on a Goldwing instead of a two banger. I guess I need to figure out what exactly "burns circles" mean. I do know that none of the local Hardlys will burn circles around my V2K.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you want your wife comfy put her on a Goldwing instead of a two banger. I guess I need to figure out what exactly "burns circles" mean. I do know that none of the local Hardlys will burn circles around my V2K.
Then they are stock, heavy sloptail or geezer glide twin cams.

I can guarantee you that your v2k, nor my old one would NOT be able to hold it's own against my 80" evo with cam and head work.
The only place a V2k might get the jump on my evo is off the start, because I have to get up around 2500 before I start making most of my power... after that though, bye bye. If I put 89" stroker flywheels in it, I'd be well over the 100/100 hp/tq mark. Power to weight ratio my friend.

Goldwings are for old people who should have bought a 4 door sedan.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts