Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a lot of mods on my bike this season, including adding some speakers so I can listen to tunes.

I bought the Boss 600B system. Looks good, gets decent reviews.

So to install it, how mandatory is it to remove the gas tank? Can I easily run wires under the tank WITHOUT removing it?

Not looking to cut corners, but I don't want to do the work unless its absolutely necessary. Thoughts? I'm also running an Eklipse charging station with it so I can stay charged up while I'm riding and listening to some Spotify.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You may not have to; but if you think you might; just do it! It's a piece of cake, really. Run the tank low, take off two bolts, and it slides right off. Honestly, if you can mount the speakers; you can take the tank off.

Lots of people make a big deal about the tank but once you do it, you realize there's seriously nothing to it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I would, and have, just so I can zip tie the wires to the frame to keep them off the motor. Tank removal isnt hard to do.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can do it without removing the gas tank, but the wire routing will be much neater if you do, with less chance of wires dropping down onto the top of the engine. As stated previously, it's no big deal to remove the tank. Two bolts and the fuel line and overflow vent and it's off.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
I did this on a couple of bikes without removing the tank. Get a wire runner from a hardware store...its basically a plastic rod with various hook ends and it allows you to run the wire up under between the tank and the frame.

I just secured it on both ends and it stayed nice and tight.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I have done it both ways. You will get much satisfaction if you take the tank off and do it proper. Believe me, I have wired in probably 5 different configurations of tunes with radio and without etc on my 900. Finally got it rocking with 4 speakers and a 2000w (4) channel - 500w per channel) amp. Eliminated the radio and just crank mp3's all day long. My library is huge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts