Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall,
original battery 6yrs old

the thing is i ride in warm weather for a few days, then the next day it hits 30's degrees, and its dead the next day?

then i use a battery tender for 15m and starts up, drive it for 20mins, then shut it off, it starts up. so its a cold temp overnite issue ib elieve.

would this happen with a new battery, and do you think I should get a new agm?
any suggestions much appreciated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It sounds like the charging system is working ok, so I would say yes. At 6 years old it probably does need a new battery. Most car batteries don't last that long.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Disconnect the leads off the battery, charge it overnight, then test it after a couple of days. If the voltage is down below 12 volts, it's definitely the battery. If it's above 12 volts, hook up the battery cables, connect the voltmeter and see how it cranks. If it cranks and starts, check the voltage while it's running (should be between 14.2-15.2). Should increase with engine speed. If it doesn't crank, check the voltage. If it's below 12 volts, it's the battery. If the voltage readings look good, it could be a parasitic draw in the bike.

·
Registered
768 Posts
One its old
Two a short ride will not charge it up fully
Three its old - get a new one
And no you wont have this problem with new -BUT if you dont go for a longer ride once in awhile your battery will be constantly run down. Maybe put the tender on it every night and problem solved!

·
Registered
118 Posts
It sounds like it's your battery. Like the others have said, 6 years is about the most you can expect from one. If you want to make sure, any parts store should load test it free of charge if you take it in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
the resting voltage of a healthy agm battery should be around 12.8Volts.
my suggestion is to fully charge it, let it rest for at least 12hrs (they discharge faster in warmer temps) and then measure the voltage.
if it reads above 12.6V, power a light bulb (5-10Watts) for a minute and see how low the voltage drops while the bulb is connected. it shouldn't get below 12V.
If the initial voltage is lower than 12.6V after resting, the battery does not hold enough charge to turn over the engine. in fact the starter relay does not engage.

autoshops may be able to test your battery for free. a big load is the only reliable way to tell if your battery is healthy. it's 6yrs age is kind of impressive for a motorcycle battery.

!!! i forgot to add that i've noticed a few times the bolts that hold the battery terminals being lose. that can be a cause of poor charging while the engine is running and also a poor contact when you want to start the bike. i'm now using sockets for those bolts since a screw driver doesn't offer enough torque. also split washers are a great idea if the length or your bots permit it. blue thread lock is also welcomed.

*you really don't want your battery dead anyplace with your vulcan. the fuel pump does not prime with a dead battery so trying to push-start the bike is not going to work...
**try to calibrate your multimeter if necessary by measuring some DC voltages that are standard. Energizer AA sould be 1.6V (use 8x for 12.8V, the closer you are to the voltage you want to measure the better), the 9V energizer should be 9.4V...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys very helpful, also that screwdriver vs socket poiint.....* totally forgot*** when i did oil change last month, i saw that the bike has a strobe light kit!!! omg....the remote batteries r dead, so i cant even use it, its blue lite, heard the police will not like the color of blue riding........anyway, it draws a bit of juice.........you think thats it?
more IMPORTANTLY
can i pull the fuse for that lighting kit? so i dont have to worry about that? thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
?? can i remove a wire or disconnect a fuse on the lighting engine kit to decrease the battery draining?....thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
i'm not sure i understand the question.. if you find the fuse used by the lighting kit, of course you can disconnect it in order to open the circuit and have no power going to that kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just dont know where i would find the fuse by the lighting kit, and even if it would have one?
also, when i get that week start, i hear' static clicking' b4 it turns over, weak albeit...but u hear this staticy electric sound, then it turns over or it doesn't unless i use a tender for a while....hope this helps.

thanks for replying guys!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys, wierd thing happened. is this common:

i drove it today, after having the tender on for 20m, she started up, drove 30m, left the keys accidently with low beams on, as i ran to the store, 15m later, i found her dead again? i am pretty much over it, getting a amg tonite. but my question, is would this happen even with a new battery? leavin gthe lights on for 10m or so, drain it?.........also still looking for the fuse to disconnect the strobe enginge lights.thanks!

·
Registered
768 Posts
You just proved you have a bad/old/not holding charge battery.
A new fully charged battery should be able to have the lights on for 15 minutes and be fine - BUT why risk it!
AND YES it will drain it and and if you dont charge it you'll have a battery that isnt at its full strength!

Question - WHY were the lights on if the key wasnt on/left on bike?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the key was in there, i left the key in, and the lights dont have an off button, the key was in the on position, does that make sense?
so your saying a new battery , that wouldn't of happened, well ok? order chrome agm 40$ on amazon with voltage meter, had good reviews.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You left the key in the bike and it was on and you went into a store and left it there for anyone to take ?????
AND the lights DONT turn off ????
All bikes in the US dont turn on the headlight until the engine starts and when the bike engine turns off the light goes out.

You modded it wrongly - or bought it that way ????

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe it is the case, at least in Canada, that once the bike is running...the headlight is on (obviously), but if you use the kill switch to kill the engine, the headlight says on...as the key is still in the "run" position. I'm going by memory here, so don't shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Shadow01, I think you are right. I killed my engine before and the lights stayed on. You have to turn the key off to kill the lights.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quick question, i got a deal for 2 new agm batteries at a discounted price.....the one that is new that i am going to shelf, how long will that last if i dont use it, how do i keep it from going bad, should i take turns every 3mos and swap them out? thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You say they are new, so the electrolyte should be in a sealed container.
Just don't add it to the battery and it should last indefinitely.

If the dealer added the electrolyte ,which they don't normally do unless requested and the item paid for, then the battery is no longer "new" and the warranty is ticking away!(as is the shelf life) I would suggest that you put it on a battery maintainer until you need it (5 years+?)
I

·
Registered
768 Posts
Better yet get the two and give or sell the other.
After the first is used up the second wont be in great shape.
You want a great battery not a so so battery.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys, its a sealed agm iGel battery CHROME. so your saying, if i shelf and don't use it, it will just die, doesnt make sense? thinking about swapping them out from time to time? no

1 - 20 of 41 Posts