Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike it had the Cobra drag pipes and air cleaner on it. I've looked at all the obvious places on the bike and it doesn't look like the PO had put any kind of Tuner on it. I've been riding since October and it seems to run pretty good, I get the occasional popping. So what would benefit me if I get one. That's a good chunk of change for some of the ones I've seen.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
General consensus is that if you change in and out from the engine, then you need a tuner. As far as WIIFM (what's in it for me)? It will make more power, smooth out delivery and make the bike more ride-able overall. I highly recommend a tuner. It can make a world of difference.

As far as tuners go, when I had my 900, I was rocking the Power Commander III. It's a good unit, and I only had the base map for pipes and intake. If you invest the money in a proper tune, you can't go wrong.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
yes you will, can run lean as it's pumping in more air and dispensing out more, but not any more fuel.. Lean conditions are not good

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I had a cobra on the 900 custom... wasn't thrilled at all with it, but dealt with it, on the vaquero first thing I did was remove the cobra and went with the power commander. more tuning capability, Just had it dyno tuned yesterday.. very very pleased with the outcome

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
also that's my opinion... we all have them

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I had a cobra on the 900 custom... wasn't thrilled at all with it, but dealt with it, on the vaquero first thing I did was remove the cobra and went with the power commander. more tuning capability, Just had it dyno tuned yesterday.. very very pleased with the outcome
Which cobra model did you have and what didn't you like about it?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
wow, I don't remember. I put it on in 2008 and tinkered with it a couple times, and just left it alone... it seem to run very rich, didn't effect throttle response much, but friends hated riding behind me..I think I adjusted it as lean as possible too..a friend had the same bike with power commander and it just seemed to be better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just put a Vance & Hines FuelPak on my 2012 with the intake and exhaust upgrades. Figured I'd avoid the trouble to begin with. Overall you're better off with a tuner as these things are setup to run lean from the factory and moving more air doesn't do much without extra fuel. Was like $260 at Dennis Kirk, took an hour to install, piece of cake. Sits between the injectors and the factory harness, only two T-splices, real clean setup and easy to program.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts