Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vulcan 900 Classic LT is my first street bike, and I'm practicing low speed skills from coaches like Moto Jitsu, MCRider, and Jerry Paladino. My riding boots barely fit between the heel and toe portions of the shifter.

Sometimes during figure 8s in first gear my left boot moves a little and inadvertently bumps the shifter, placing the bike into neutral. When I try to use the friction zone to speed up the bike I discover I'm in neutral, and the > 600 lbs machine almost falls over. I have crash bars but obviously I have no interest in dropping the bike.

Has anyone replaced their heel toe shifter with just a heel shifter?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't see how it would be possible to shift using only a heel to shift. But on my bike I converted the toe-heel shifter into a toe-only shifter as on my previous road bikes by loosening the bolt which holds the shifter onto the spline shaft and moving the shifter on the shaft so that the heel part is below the level of the foot board and only the toe part is operable. Also gives more clearance for my riding boot between the footboard and the toe part of the shifter.

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
150 Posts
I had some fun times with the heel toe shift when I first started riding the Vulcan.

I've ridden heel/toe bikes in the past,,, But this was the first bike I ever rode with the foot positions so far forward. When I first started riding it, when I took off, my feet were instinctively going for where normal foot pegs or floorboards would have been. When I did this, the sole of my foot would often tap the back of the shifter and I'd wind up in neutral. But this is something I got used to and it doesn't happen now.

I mostly wear shoes when riding, but I do have a set of good riding boots that I wear occasionally for longer trips. I'm size 12, but the soles of the boot extend forward a bit and the heels extend backward. One time when I came to a stop, the bike started to lean left. I went to lift my foot off the floorboard and the heel and sole of the boot got wedged between the front and rear parts of the shifter. I did manage to yank it free and get my foot down in time to prevent a spill. Fortunately that only happened once. Now that I'm aware that it can happen, I look out for it.

All in all, I'm not a fan of the heel-toe. I use the front for up/down shifting through the gears.. But for some reason I always use my heel when shifting from first to neutral.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's feedback! I apologize for an error in the OP, I want to eliminate the heel portion of the shifter and just use the toe portion. (My size 11 riding boot actually touches both toe and heel portions while resting on the footboard.)

Sounds like I'm not the only one who doesn't like the heel shifter. Good to know I have options here!

·
Registered
703 Posts
It seems that the heel toe shifter is one of those things you either love or hate.
On the 900 there must be a short distance between the heel and toe.

On my Nomad there is plenty of room. I wear a size 10 boot and I have to slide my foot back to catch the heel shifter which is comfortable to me

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 13 boot and I cut the heel portion of the shifter off my 900. It actually made shifting easier because the toe portion feels lighter as there is less steel to move around

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Vulcan 900 Classic LT is my first street bike, and I'm practicing low speed skills from coaches like Moto Jitsu, MCRider, and Jerry Paladino. My riding boots barely fit between the heel and toe portions of the shifter.

Sometimes during figure 8s in first gear my left boot moves a little and inadvertently bumps the shifter, placing the bike into neutral. When I try to use the friction zone to speed up the bike I discover I'm in neutral, and the > 600 lbs machine almost falls over. I have crash bars but obviously I have no interest in dropping the bike.

Don't replace .... remove. I cut the heel portion off with a grinder. Problem solved. Nary an issue. good luck on whatever you do.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Before you start cutting parts, be as sure as you can that you'll be happy with the results. My Vaquero is my first bike with floorboards and a heel'n'toe. I didn't like the shifter so I figured I'd just use the toe shifter. But it doesn't work the same on a board as it does on a peg. On a peg you rotate your foot to upshift, but on a board that doesn't work, you actually have to lift your foot up, pivoting on the heal instead of the arch. This causes strain in your shin. I'm sure it works for some, but I found that after an hour on the bike my left shin was so sore it was painful to upshift and I was limping when I got off the bike. I just learned to use the heel shifter. Took about a week to get used to it, but personally, I'd rather have the peg setup that was on my 900 Custom.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a size 13 and this has never happened, and I would hate to have to go back to shoving my big boot under the toe shifter since with the heel shifter you never go “up” with the toe. I probably avoid the issue due to having my toes point out at 45 degrees (roughly) so my toe is not in line with the toe shifter while riding, until I want to downshift and then just pop down on top of the toe shifter. Ditto for upshifts, I usually just kick back and hit the heel shifter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could ride with your toes pointed out - how tall are you? I'm only 5'8'' with size 9 feet and I wouldn't like to squeeze bigger boots than as I have currently. My sneakers work better than MC boots but not as safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts