Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all members of this forum ,have recently discoverd that kawasaki is discontinuing some parts .To be specific primary chain guide upper . Is this a high wear item and if so what do we do for replacements.

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
Hi stanski. Are you speaking about the chain number 92057 in this illustration? You didn’t mention your model year so I went with 2004. This chain is the same from 2004 to 2010. Shows it is still available. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
133 Posts
To all members of this forum ,have recently discoverd that kawasaki is discontinuing some parts .To be specific primary chain guide upper . Is this a high wear item and if so what do we do for replacements.
So by high wear, how often does it have to be replaced? First I’ve read about that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes and thank you to Tourer and whoaru99 for their explanation of the primary chain and its function . I currently find that i need to replace this chain and will also replace the oil and water pump chain behind it along with the upper and lower guides which are stationary , none adjustable like in my 67 triumph bonnie which i replaced a lot due to broken spring plates. Our 06 limited is always ridden 2 up always long distances, with tour bags on back , my 340 lbs butt in the saddle ,the chain is deffinitly stretched and clattering. Have contacted every parts supplier of Kawasaki I know in U.S. and some in Japan , all have informed me that the upper guide has been disscontinued and no longer produced . However I will be ok ,found a new lower and low milage pair , my question to you all . How many owners of the v2k have done this repair, but most important how much wear did the guides show and did they require replacing?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I can't speak to any possible occurrence that may have happened, nor can I say I've caught every VN2K post here. But, I've read quite a lot of them over the years and do not recall any other mention of primary chain issues/wear. Maybe I missed it, but... 🤷‍♂️

There is a wear/stretch spec in the service manual. How does yours compare to that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never said the v2k had primary chain issues . was only refering to my particular bike.I can actually hear the chain clatter in neutral , more than likley due to my 52,000miles of abuse wear and tear, or just the stupid in me still coming out after 70 years.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
133 Posts
Never said the v2k had primary chain issues . was only refering to my particular bike.I can actually hear the chain clatter in neutral , more than likley due to my 52,000miles of abuse wear and tear, or just the stupid in me still coming out after 70 years.
So, I got to ask, if your primary drive chain has been so stretched through, as you say, abuse, how has your final drive belt fared? Are you still running your original?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the members of this forum,an apology if my first post was unclear. To Kachow my final drive belt is fine ,no issues other than the occasional chirp. To whoru99 primary chain stretched due to normal engine heat and pressure from pulling a load such as 2up and 100lbs of whatever in saddle and tour bags .down a highway at between 70 and 80 mph for 4 to 5 hr intervals. the chain did what it was designed to just not as long as I had hoped. My original post was to draw attention to the unavailability of specific parts such as the upper chain guide and our options in this case , yes there are numerous dismantlers but condition of these parts should be consdiderd .OK kinda long winded sorry but to all who have replaced their primary chain what was the condition of your guides did they show wear ? how much? Did they need to be replaced ? If recently where did you obtain? Anyone wants to talk call me at 610-292-0702 cuz I type like crap and it is painfull. Thank you ALL.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
The point of my previous post was not to question how the chain became the way it is.

I was, I thought, simply saying I don't recall any other VN2K owner mentioning they had a stretched/worn chain and having to replace it. Then, asked how much your chain is stretched compared to what the service manual says for service limit.

Far as discontinued parts, yeah, I'm not surprised things are becoming unavailable. I don't think there were too many made to begin with, and they've been out of production for ~11 years now.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
133 Posts
Hey, no apology needed. The thing that caught my attention was that you can hear it inside the clutch cover, so that’s almost like a timing chain when the tensioner is worn out. That’s a little disconcerting to me, because I used to have European dirt bikes that had chain drive for the primary, and they were bulletproof, they never wore out. And there was no tensioner for them they just came from the factory and there was no expectation that they would stretch, So I was I guess surprised that there is a guide or tensioner of sorts and that it can get worn out and need replaced, along with the chain itself.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Doesn't look like a tensioner to me, only guides. Any yes, the service manual does give service limit for stretch and wear. But, there is no replacement interval, only the stretch measurement. Also, when you replace the chain you're supposed to replace the crankshaft since it looks like that drive gear may be integral. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
133 Posts
Doesn't look like a tensioner to me, only guides. Any yes, the service manual does give service limit for stretch and wear. But, there is no replacement interval, only the stretch measurement. Also, when you replace the chain you're supposed to replace the crankshaft since it looks like that drive gear may be integral. Good luck with that.
Oh well, that sucks. Basically you rebuild the bottom end if your primary chain stretches past the limit. I think that’s when I sell the bike LOL

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Well, I didn't buy mine with the notion of it being indefinitely repairable. That's not typically how it goes with "metric" bikes. You buy a Harley if you want parts support forever sort of thing. IMO, and I'm sure some will disagree, these brands you run the wheels off and normally that's a very long time under normal circumstances and reasonable maintenance. But, some find the high end or the low end of the bell curve with how they run it, and those shouldn't be looked at as signs of great or weak designs. They're outliers. Sucks for sure when you end up on the low end of the bell curve but high duty cycle takes its toll.

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
133 Posts
Well, I didn't buy mine with the notion of it being indefinitely repairable. That's not typically how it goes with "metric" bikes. You buy a Harley if you want parts support forever sort of thing. IMO, and I'm sure some will disagree, these brands you run the wheels off and normally that's a very long time under normal circumstances and reasonable maintenance. But, some find the high end or the low end of the bell curve with how they run it, and those shouldn't be looked at as signs of great or weak designs. They're outliers. Sucks for sure when you end up on the low end of the bell curve but high duty cycle takes its toll.
Yeah well in my experience with metric bikes, especially made in Japan, they really tend to outlive their owner in a manner of speaking. I’m trying to think if over 50 years I have actually blown up a jap bike and I think the answer is maybe my 1969 Yamaha 125 met its demise on my watch, but after that none comes to mind. Bullet proof is the best description I have for Japanese motorcycles, and I was hoping this V2K would merit that same rating…TBD. I have yet to own a Harley Davidson, in part because of the price.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
and I was hoping this V2K would merit that same rating…TBD.
And by most accounts they generally are. But, there are always outliers. I've noted a strange occurrence on internet forums, and not just with motorcycles. One oddball occurrence is mentioned and all of a sudden it doesn't matter if 99 people have a good experience. All the focus goes on the 1 and people forget that 1 is the exception, not the norm.

And, far as Harley; yeah, part of that higher cost is keeping parts on the shelf. Costs lots of money to keep inventory and production. The company and dealers aren't just sucking all the up out of the kindness of their heart.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Try contacting Kawasaki directly, to see if they can provide the chain guides you need.

Don't bother with a -arts house, go right to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Try contacting Kawasaki directly, to see if they can provide the chain guides you need.

Don't bother with a -arts house, go right to the manufacturer.
FWIW, the big online parts house OEM parts status typically reflects availability from the mfg. If the part is listed as Not Available, that's not available from the mfg, not from the parts house.

Certainly it can't hurt to ask, but I'd expect the answer will be the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts