Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the Vance and Hines exhaust for my 1700 classic, but there are two problems. VH doesn't make a fuel pack for that exhaust/bike, and Power Commander doesn't have a map for it either. I would have to dyno map it which is 200+ bucks. Out the door price with air filter also would be around 1500 with parts and labor and custom map. If I do Cobra Slashdowns and the Fi2000r and a filter I'm looking at about 1000 even with parts and labor. I need input on exhaust sound and performance. Is there that big of a difference between the two? Is VH and a custom PC map worth the extra 500+ dollars?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I want the Vance and Hines exhaust for my 1700 classic, but there are two problems. VH doesn't make a fuel pack for that exhaust/bike, and Power Commander doesn't have a map for it either. I would have to dyno map it which is 200+ bucks. Out the door price with air filter also would be around 1500 with parts and labor and custom map. If I do Cobra Slashdowns and the Fi2000r and a filter I'm looking at about 1000 even with parts and labor. I need input on exhaust sound and performance. Is there that big of a difference between the two? Is VH and a custom PC map worth the extra 500+ dollars?
Exhaust sound is going to be subjective. IMO, I doubt there is $500+ worth of performance difference, but that's a bit subjective too in the "what's it worth to you" category.

I have V&H PowerShots on my VN2K and really like the sound of them. Get plenty of compliments on the more throaty, "strong" sound rather than the somewhat tinny rap some pipes (not insinuating that of Cobra) have.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The advantage with the FI2000R is you don't have to worry about any maps. The other thing you can do is install it all (Pipes, Fuel Processor, Air Kit) yourself and save some green. If I can do it, anyone can. You'll be happy with either set of pipes.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The Powercommander is a lot more adjustable than the Cobra unit. A lot of us have maps already using the Dyno AutoTune module. I'm sure you could get your hands on them. All you have to do is ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet good advice! I found out the cobra module will actually work ok with the Vance pipes. Apparently this guy did it with his m109r and is happy. I have a mechanic that will throw it all on for 100 bucks or so. I may go that direction. Good to know about the maps from other people on the forum, didn't know that was een possible!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
644 Posts
Either fuel control will work. I just know the PC has a bunch more adjustment. My Voyager runs like a dream with the map I have. I have V&H Twin Slash and stock air filter right now. Gonna get an air kit later. The AutoTune will adjust for it too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I w... and Power Commander doesn't have a map for it either. I would have....[/QUOTE

I have a PCV and it came with maps for 09-10 1700 Classic, Voyager, and Nomad

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I w... and Power Commander doesn't have a map for it either. I would have....[/QUOTE

I have a PCV and it came with maps for 09-10 1700 Classic, Voyager, and Nomad
I heard the map that came with it is for the stock setup, not aftermarket air filter and pipes. Seems kinda strange they would do that but oh well. I decided to go the simple route and do the VH pipes, KN air filter, and Fi2000R from Cobra. I'll let you know how it turns out. Pipes should be in by tomorrow, but I'm out of town so looks like install is gonna have to wait until Monday or Tuesday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts