·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
26 Posts
maybe

Personally I would invest in other accessories. Unless remembering what gear your in is a huge problem for you. The gear indicator is just something else with wiring to clutter up your bike, just my opinon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd be happy if I could get fifth gear to light the neutral light like some Harleys I've seen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys. As i said, it wasnt something i was hard pressed to make a decision on.

I think I'll go without it for now and pay moore attention to the tach and speedo to let me know what gear i'm in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i dont think i would ever buy one either. Although i do really like having one when im on my sportbike. Its just a convenience thing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I like the idea of having a light so I know I am in 5th. I am always trying to kick it up another gear, to only find I am already in 5th. Those gear indicator displays would look horrible on our bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
gear indicator

I was thinking of buying one too, as I'm always pulling in clutch and trying to shift to 6th, finding there isn't one. I have a hard time paying that kind of $ though as there are other accesories I need more. It would be a convienience factor though, especially when coming to stop signs.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had thought about one of those myself, but couldn't bring myself to spend $150-220 on a convenience — and just for one that I SHOULD be able to remember... hehe

If they were considerably less coin, then perhaps...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone other than me noticed the difference in feel of the shift lever when the bike is in 5th? A gentle nudge in the upshift direction feels solid as opposed to the more "loose" feel when in 4th or any other gear. I only use "loose" as a descriptor for a very subtle yet distinguishable feel...there is no looseness in my shifter otherwise.

Also, after 28k miles on the bike, I've gotten quite accustomed to the feel...at least I try a phantom 6th gear shift a LOT less than I previously did.

That said, a 5th gear light sounds like a good idea though, with a FF helmet, seeing any of the current indicators takes a bit of a nod. A heads up display on the visor would be REALLY cool!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can tell by the sound when its in 5th, it don't have as high of pitch rev.Do still try for another gear @ times when I even no better its not like its hurting anything.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like the Dakota digital unit... but holy crap $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm not the monopoly man. If I were, I'd be riding an Indian.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally I would spend money on other accessories. Knowing what gear you are in is relatively easy to know if you are comfortable with the bike.... Sometimes I forget, but judging from my speed and the feel of the engine, I am always able to tell what gear I am in. As far as wanting a light to go on when you hit 5th gear........what I do if i cant remember if I am in fifth, simply apply upwards pressure to your shifter. If the shifter doesnt move...your in fifth. The gear indicator would be convenient, however I would rather spend money on other things, and I could think of other more useful electronics to wire onto my bike. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just to add my viewpoint here:

Since I'm totally new to riding, I bought the gear indicator simply so I could scratch that off the list of things to think about. The first couple of times I took the bike out, I found myself "checking" to make sure I was in 5th (this was obviously before the gear indicator came). After installation, I've found that I don't really use it very much, now that I've gotten to know my bike a little and have a better feel for what gear I'm in.

In case you're interested, here's a pic I snapped tonight of the gear indicator (sorry I was in a hurry so it's not as clear as I'd hoped):

1 - 16 of 16 Posts