Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen this asked over the past few years but never a clear and concise answer, other than full customer gauge installs.
I have a 2008 900 Classic that I changed the turn signals to LED's. Doing this involved a lot of issues with lights on the dash. As my first bike, I also find it troubling that there is no Tacho on the bike. I planned to add one but then though about digital gauges. After doing some research, I still have questions.

Questions: How easy is it to install a custom digital gauge? I have basic electrical experience so I have no problem cutting or splicing wires. But what options are we able to do, or not do, without major modifications involved? Can we have a gear gauge? (A visual of what gear you are in). How easy is a tacho install without a current tacho setup? Is there an electrical manual around that shows what wires are what for an easier splicing job? Is switching to a digital gauge with LED's going to mess with other electrical systems? I hit this a lot during the turn signal install
Thanks for any and all help

·
Registered
314 Posts
Most aftermarket gauges are pretty straight forward. A tach is just a frequency counter, they all work on the same principal. I have a basic aftermarket tach on mine, and all you really need to an extra wire to one of the coils for the signal. Since the Vulcan is a single fire as opposed to waste spark like what you might find in an inline 4 engine, there was an adapter I had to install but still easy to install and didn't require any splicing.

I have not installed a gear indicator, I don't see much need on a cruiser, but they cannot be too difficult. I believe there was someone on here that installed one.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Someone on this forum did a really nice single digit LED shift indicator install on a VN900. He also made a small cutout in the speedo faceplate and installed it there. It looked really nice, and it worked. He posted a link to the maker of the device, etc. You'll probably need to search for it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Someone on this forum did a really nice single digit LED shift indicator install on a VN900. He also made a small cutout in the speedo faceplate and installed it there. It looked really nice, and it worked. He posted a link to the maker of the device, etc. You'll probably need to search for it.
I ran across it the other day, I should have saved the link. It was plugged straight into the diagnostic port. Real clean install.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an electronic rpm & voltage indicator installed, looks very cool. Installation is easy though mine needed two diodes and 2 resistors in the circuit due to the firing timing of the engine. See diagram below.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts