Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, the front wheel/tire looks too heavy/fat on the VN1600. It looks better with wide whitewall tires because it visually lightens up the heavy looking front end. I'd like a larger diameter wheel with a lower sidewall tire, while maintaining the correct overall diameter of the front tire. Kind of like the front wheel/tire combo on a Victory Kingpin. One option would be to use the front wheel from a VN900 Custom, with a wider tire, but that only has one disc brake on the front.

I actually like the classic HD-Sporty look of the front end on the mid-90s VN1500, but since it only has a single disc brake on the front it can't be applied to the VN1600.

Anyone ever use a 17", 18" or 19" front wheel on a VN1600? Are there decent looking oversize aftermarket front wheels for the VN1600, but not going to the stupid large diameter skinny tire custom wheels used on the front of custom baggers. Don't like that look one bit.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I may just go the route of mounting the Mean Streak wheels on my VN1600, as they are a direct fit up, however i assume the brake discs from the stock VN1600 wheels do not mount to the Mean Streak wheels. The Mean Streak brake rotors are full floating style and the VN1600 Classic has solid mounted rotors which mount on a larger bolt diameter than does the rotor on the Mean Streak rotor mount. I like the slightly larger diameter of the Mean Streak wheels, and that it gives me the option for lighter 17" radial tires instead of the heavier/higher sidewall 16" cruiser tires common to the VN1600. Has anyone mounted Mean Streak wheels on their VN1500 or VN1600, assuming you used the rotors from the Mean Streak wheels with the VN1600 Classic claipers.

My only concern with the front Mean Streak wheel is that I have found a lot of them on ebay that have a bend in the rim, or are slightly out of round/wobble. Not sure if that indicates the wheels are easily deformed. My guess is that most of the bent wheels are the result of misuse by the original owner and that person did not keep up proper air pressure in the tires. My 94 BMW R1100RS also has three spoke 17" wheels that were reported to bend easily. Yet, my 94 BMW has nearly 190,000 miles on the rough roads of Wisconsin and they still spin true. I monitor the tire air pressure and run at least 38 psi on the front, more often 40 psi in the front tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts