Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a questions for you different year vn2000 owners, cause I need your input.
first a bit of background. I have 2 2005 VNs with mods, intake, exhaust and 5th gear resistor mods. I have a 2008 with intake and exhaust mods only.
There seems to be a big difference in the way the 05s accelerate, sound and run vs. the 08 which seems doggy compared to the others. Were the 08s detuned? Or is there something I am missing that I need to do to get the same response? Does the 5th gear resistor mod create that much difference?

Actually thinking of selling the 08 and just stick with the 05s, maybe I am spoiled with the difference. The 08 is pristine visually but man i like the acceleration I get out of the 05s.
Dogg :confused:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You are dead on about the resistor mod. 08 and up can't do it. The gear position sensor is different or something of that nature. Kaw did change the timing between the models a bit. If I am not mistaken. They are all timed a little retarded but in different degrees. I believe 04 05 was the wost and 08-10 was better than 04-05 but worse than 06-07. But on 04-07 you could do the resistor mod to help out. There is some specs on the degree of timing here on the form somewhere. I just can't remember.

The only other difference I can think of is the rear hub. But I think that was fixed in 05 or half of the 05 were fixed.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
yeppers, that's the reason.

Stock 04 are actually the "worst" of the years, due to the timing being retarded by the ECU. However, they also have the most "potential". Meaning if you do the 5th gear mod, the 04's then become the best of the bunch.

Next in line is the 05's. A lot of benefit from the 5th gear mod.

Mine is an 04. I'd love to compare it to a later year (course, I also have the aftermarket front pulley, which changes things).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an 05. I replaced the rear tire before I found out about the hub issues. Without taking it apart again, is there any way too determine which style hub mine has?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hub visual

I don't think that there is any outside visual difference between the two styles of hub. It has been a while since I put the dual bearing hub in but I think that I only changed the inner spacer, not either of the outer ones.

·
Registered
148 Posts
04 05 is the fastest of all years the ECU advances the ignition 51 degrees 06 07 is the the slowest of all years 26 degrees 08 plus advances 43 degrees with a built in resister mod stock.
The rear hub is smaller (one bearing) 04 05 starting with the 06 + double bearing hub and the kick stand mounted lower starting 05 Limited.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm going to have to revisit the resistor mod. Reading other threads I thought it was basically only for the 04's and 05's. Mine is an '06 and if it will benefit from it then I will do it. Smed, your front pulley, did you replace it with fewer or more teeth? And by how many?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
go visit it. I am not 100% but I am like 95% sure you can from 04-07.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts