Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

What's the year of your bike and does the sw mercilessly chirp at you?

• 2006: no chirping

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 2006: chirping and squeaking

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 2007: no chirping

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 2007: chirping and squeaking

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 2008: no chirping

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 2008: chirping and squeaking

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 2009: no chirpring

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 2009: chirping and squeaking

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • 2010: no chirping

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 2010: chirping and squeaking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
do not vote if you are running stock pulleys

I've been watching a number of threads on the sw pulley; some bikes are fine with them, and some chrip their owners into misery.

I also read somewhere that Kawasaki changed something in the machining specs of the pulleys or the shaft, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with all of the scootworks chirping, and maybe we can notice a pattern here.

So- for those of you who run the sw FRONT pulley with the stock rear pulley, do you have a chronic chirp/squeak, even after weeks of adjustment, alignment, and re adjustment? Cleaning the belt of any dust, applying wax, mc belt spray, etc.? For those of you who found a cure for it, please post that as well. Spray/wax only works for a little while, and any length of highway ride wears it off really bad (and makes the chirping in town nearly unbearable).

Also, please note the model year of your 900
thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just my thoughts, but i don't believe the year of the bike is relevant. I think the pulley is the same for all the 900s and certainly the manufacturing process for them all would be identical.

If i'm not mistaken, they've included a heat-treatment process in the new ones that eliminate the squeeking.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good thread. I've been thinking about getting the front pulley, this will help me decide.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good thread. I've been thinking about getting the front pulley, this will help me decide.
I have a chronic chirping issue with the one on my '09. I've heard that some guys have sent their pulleys back and they do something to them that solves the issue... I wonder if that's an 'older series' of pulleys.

I have heard the earliest ones were one piece, and newer ones are 2 piece, the center being black, and this is the version I'm running.

I've emailed scootworks and I'll post back how they are about this issue. If they're good with me I'll let you guys know.

If SW doesn't work with me on this I'll let you guys know and then may go for a different pulley. There's a guy on here somewhere that knows a guy who sells rear pulleys that a few members who run them have had no issues with.

(I've thought about getting a taller tire, but don't like the idea of raising my seat height any further than the Mustang 2-up seat has me already. Short legged folks like me appreciate having both feet on the ground.)

EDIT: I just checked my email. I got a reply. Here it is...
Hi Matt,

We designed the pulley to work with the 3 different suppliers of belts we've found ont he VN900. The newest revision is H2 and is a dark brown in color. We will update your pulley to the newest version, you only pay shipping, if you like. Your bike may be one with one of the other belts that were giving a bit of problem with noise in some installations.

Sincerely,
Dave Hockaday
Scootworks

now it makes me wonder who supplied the belts when. I'll have to check my belt and see what the part number/lettering on it says and post it here, hopefully others will as well, and maybe we can connect the dots on the cause of the chronic belt squeaking with SW pulleys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't noticed any unusual sounds with mine, and it required no adjustments after I installed it...I've got an '07 custom and used a SW pulley purchased early this spring...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought Skootworks front pulley in 2009 and had it up until this spring. That whole time, there was some chirping on deceleration. At that time I heard about a new version of this pulley that was available. I contacted Skootworks to see if this was true and if there was any type of trade in deal for the new version. They went above and beyond the call of duty on this for me.

First, they told me that Big-K had used 2-3 different suppliers for both the stock pulley and the belt over the years. This was what caused the original chirping issue with the Skootworks pulley. They did not realize that some bikes had stock pulleys or belts with slightly varying lobe dimensions. Then they told me that they had done quite a bit of testing to come up with the new version of their pulley. And that the new pulley had eliminated the chirping issue altogether. They told me that if I would send back my pulley, they would either re-machine it to the new design, or trade me out to a complete new pulley. All I had to pay was shipping cost both ways. I sent the pulley in and within about 10 days, I got the new one back. From what I can tell, this is a totally new pulley, not my old one re-made. The new one did not have any of the wear marks that mine had when it went back. Also, the new one was a different color. I think they are hard coating the new pulleys. Anyway, all pulleys from Skootworks are now this new design. As for performance, it is great. I gives the same lower RPM as the original and there is absolutely no chirping at any speed. Again, I could not be happier and Skootworks went out of their way on this. I honestly was expecting to pay some type of re-work fee or something.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Pirate I'm glad you got a good response from Scootworks because I haven't. I returned both Pulleys to them and a destroyed Kawi belt in the end of june and I haven't gotten a response from them since. I was heading home from a day trip to Vermont and the belt began squealing more than I was used to and by the time I got home about 4 or 5 cogs were missing from the belt. Numerous e-mails to them have gone unanswered and I have been nothing but pleasant with those people. Honestly don't you think they could have responded to my e-mails since June? Here it is half way through August. I have not resorted to bashing them on the net as I don't believe in that behavior I think my next move will be to send them a registered letter asking for an explanation. The belt cost $400 and the Pulleys cost a bit over $400 and the speedohealer cost $115 and 40 bucks for a belt tension gauge So I have almost $1000.00 into this Mod and nothing to show for it and the summer is rapidly drawing to a close. I only had put about 1800 miles on the bike with the SW pulleys when the belt came apart. I am a bit disappointed with their service they took my money quickly but are slow to resolve my problem. I am going to South Carolina in the end of September maybe I will take a detour to Zebulon,NC and pay Mister Hockaday a personal visit.
I bought Skootworks front pulley in 2009 and had it up until this spring. That whole time, there was some chirping on deceleration. At that time I heard about a new version of this pulley that was available. I contacted Skootworks to see if this was true and if there was any type of trade in deal for the new version. They went above and beyond the call of duty on this for me.

First, they told me that Big-K had used 2-3 different suppliers for both the stock pulley and the belt over the years. This was what caused the original chirping issue with the Skootworks pulley. They did not realize that some bikes had stock pulleys or belts with slightly varying lobe dimensions. Then they told me that they had done quite a bit of testing to come up with the new version of their pulley. And that the new pulley had eliminated the chirping issue altogether. They told me that if I would send back my pulley, they would either re-machine it to the new design, or trade me out to a complete new pulley. All I had to pay was shipping cost both ways. I sent the pulley in and within about 10 days, I got the new one back. From what I can tell, this is a totally new pulley, not my old one re-made. The new one did not have any of the wear marks that mine had when it went back. Also, the new one was a different color. I think they are hard coating the new pulleys. Anyway, all pulleys from Skootworks are now this new design. As for performance, it is great. I gives the same lower RPM as the original and there is absolutely no chirping at any speed. Again, I could not be happier and Skootworks went out of their way on this. I honestly was expecting to pay some type of re-work fee or something.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just a thought, but have you tried calling them? I called them about a week after I sent my pulley in and spoke with a lady there. She said that she had received it, but that it had been busy and she still had it on her desk. She was real apologetic on the phone and promised to ship it out ASAP. I got it the next day. UPS only takes 1 day from Zebulon to Charlotte. Anyway, I'm thinking that these folks may not be all that internet savy and a nice phone call may work better. Of course, if you have tried that already, I would definitely start getting more adamant with them at this point. I agree that 2 months seems a bit overdue.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No email telling me where to send the pulley and such... decided to call them. I'm guessing they're better at making stuff than they are dealing with the internet.

Guy on the phone was nice enough, and told me where to send it and put a little note in there outlining the situation and with my contact info. I did all that. Lady at the post office said it'd be there on Thursday this week via Priority mail (I think, it's one up from the cheapest, which would get the pulley there on Monday. I'll call them on my lunch to see if they got it. Keep in mind this is from Michigan.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Due to a couple of people that I have heard complain about Scootworks and their follow-up policies, I would recommend sending pulleys via a ship method that can be tracked. UPS, FedEx ground and some US postal methods offer tracking numbers to prove when an item was delivered and who signed for it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called SW today on lunch... said they'll have my remanufactured pulley out today or monday.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any one got a spare OEM front pulley for sale? Kept my old one but can't find it.(think my wife threw it away when cleaning out the garage). Need to put it on while I send this POS back to scootworks. It's worn and sqeeling like crazy after 6000 miles. Affaid of ruining the belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the problem more with the front pulley, the back pulley or both? This thread really has my attention because the SW pulley mod was the reason I bought this bike. I wanted a light-weight economical bike that could do the highway at a semi-relaxed rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Is the problem more with the front pulley, the back pulley or both? This thread really has my attention because the SW pulley mod was the reason I bought this bike. I wanted a light-weight economical bike that could do the highway at a semi-relaxed rpm.
The RPM drop isn't that much, about 240 RPM reduction at 70 MPH.
Spend the money on a 200 rear tire and get about half of that 240 RPM drop, and lessen your speedo error all at the same time.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I doubt that the pulley is the cause of the belt failure. Yours is the first to be recorded in any conversations that I have viewed on the pulley, so it may well have picked up a stone on the trip which disintegrated the belt. It is not unusual for this to happen. I can't say anything as to why SW has not responded, however; I have been the recipient of a returned pulley to the newer version and have over 18,000 miles on the new one with no issues what so ever. I couldn't be happier with the service from SW..... having purchased pulleys for both my Honda 750 and now my 900 Kow....

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just wrote a long dissertation about rpm/speed/true speed, missing options on this bike and the wished for 6th gear but lost my connection before I could post. So I'm not doing it over again. HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE IT. The SW front pulley that I bought is a POS. iT WORE OUT BECAUSE THE METAL IS TOO SOFT. I am putting the OEM back on and going to try to deal with scoot works.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Going to bed now

·
Registered
10 Posts
front pulleys

gidday from Oz.
I put front and rear overdrive pulleys on my 2010 VN900 Custom to get lower cruising revs. I have had no trouble at all with noises but have noticed a drop in economy. Contacted my dyno tune bloke and he told me the bike is labouring and the 11% reduction ratio was too much and so I am about to remove the larger front pulley(larger by 2 teeth) and put standard one back on and I can expect my 500k`s per 20 litres again. I also have a Baron Big Air kit and Cobra speedster shorts and a Power Commander V fitted.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a 2010 Classic LT that squealed loudly, all of the time, with the stock pulleys and which ate the drive belt within about 2k miles. The Kawi dealer had worked on the issue a couple of times and finally replaced the belt, under warranty. The belt would not run in the center of the pulley, when the squealing was happening. It still chirped, squealed once in a while, so I resigned myself to using belt dressing when needed.

At around 3k, I installed a 200 Night Dragon rear tire and the Scoot rear pulley. No more squeals or chirps and the belt ran true, in the center of the pulley. No more belt dressing needed. Now, with over 8k on the bike, I love the silent belt and love the lower RPMs from the gear reduction from the combined taller tire and Scoot pulley. :D

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
gidday from Oz.
I put front and rear overdrive pulleys on my 2010 VN900 Custom to get lower cruising revs. I have had no trouble at all with noises but have noticed a drop in economy. Contacted my dyno tune bloke and he told me the bike is labouring and the 11% reduction ratio was too much and so I am about to remove the larger front pulley(larger by 2 teeth) and put standard one back on and I can expect my 500k`s per 20 litres again. I also have a Baron Big Air kit and Cobra speedster shorts and a Power Commander V fitted.
Wow! that computes to 58 MPG here in the states. I've had a high of 57 MPG on my bone stock 900 Classic. I don't know if your gas contains alcohol like ours usually does, but that lowers the mileage you can expect.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts