Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New member from Toronto, Canada. Trading in my 03 Vstar1100 for an '11 Nomad 1700. Gave me $3000cdn. for the trade-in. Sale price was $9995cdn., Nomad has less than 7,000km. Now my thoughts a bit going wandering since I'll be lugging an 830lbs. beast compared to 600. I'm only about 160lbs. and only 5'6'' tall. Sat on the Nomad at the showroom and my heel about an inch from the ground while flat to the ground on the Vstar. I know the Nomad is a better, more powerful bike but I can't help but worry that I might have difficulty on maneuvers with the Nomad. I'm sure some of you (who has the same build as I am) had the same anxiety when first owning this bike.
Anyway, any input you can tell me would be appreciated. Did I get a good deal on the price? Also anything I have to know about the Nomad, problems especially. I've already researched some but I would love to hear more what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Just take it to a large parking lot and practice a lot to get your confidence up and better control of the new bike.

Nice job and rise safe!

·
Registered
213 Posts
You got a great deal on a great bike!!!

You will love it!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm only about an inch taller than you and handle the Voyager without a hitch.

Figuring out how she acts during a stop is the biggest worry. It could take a couple of months to really get the feel of her weight characteristics.

Take your time in parking lots; especially gas stations, so that you can get the front wheel straight and be sure of the surface that you are going to be putting a foot down on. Avoid quick reactionary stops if at all possible.

There are a couple of things to help with the reach.
Set your shocks to the 1 position for preload. You can add more preload when you are more comfortable on the bike. You can lower the PSI of the shocks too.
Get a pair of boots with a very thick sole. If you've had your boots for a while, check to see how worn they are.

You're gonna love all the extras, so don't second guess your choice.

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot you guys. Took a bit off my worries. Hope I get a break from this wintry weather so I can test it around the block. I guess this weather helped a lot in my negotiating the sale. Nobody there in the showroom that day except me. Now I have to find a manual. Looks like Haynes and Clymer hasn't published one yet specifically for the 2011 Nomad. I found some for the Vaquero. I always do my own basic maintenance: fluid change, brakes, etc.. Any suggestions where I can find one cheaper? The dealer's cost large. Thanks again for all your replies. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I couldn't flatfoot my '84 voyager, but learned to make a habit of stopping on the left foot only, with the transmission in bottom gear. After more than 50,000 miles, I couldn't remember it ever being a problem, and my only regret is that I ever let that half-ton beast get away from me. Now that my wife is not able to ride with me, the little 900 Classic suits me fine, but I still miss the silky-smooth old six-banger.

Just remembering,
Grandpa

·
BOTM Winner, December 2014
52 Posts
Parking lots were my best friend when learning to control my ride. I practiced a lot before I took it out on the road. Fun stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts