Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 07 Vulan 900 custom since April.I'm really starting to wonder if something is wrong with it.

Today was the first time I really opened it up and the fastest I could get it going was around 90mph(100mph on the odometer, but it is off by around 10%). I rode it like this for about 30 miles and when I finnaly got off the highway to a traffic light it was like the bike was begging for mercy.It wouldnt hold an idle and stalled a few times.

I have been nothing but dissapointed with this bike performance wise since I have owned it. Its my 3rd bike,1st being a 1981 Kawasaki csr 650, and my last one a 1996 Yanaha Virago 750.Both of those have outperformed my 900 vulcan,especially the Virago,it pisses on it.I expected it to at least be on par with the virago.

I really like the bike cosmetically and its really comfortable.I just cant deal with the performance.Its covered for another 1 1/2 years under the good times protection program. What do you guys think ? I just find it hard to believe the 900 custom is this slow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have owned my 07 Vulan 900 custom since April.I'm really starting to wonder if something is wrong with it.

Today was the first time I really opened it up and the fastest I could get it going was around 90mph(100mph on the odometer, but it is off by around 10%). I rode it like this for about 30 miles and when I finnaly got off the highway to a traffic light it was like the bike was begging for mercy.It wouldnt hold an idle and stalled a few times.

I have been nothing but dissapointed with this bike performance wise since I have owned it. Its my 3rd bike,1st being a 1981 Kawasaki csr 650, and my last one a 1996 Yanaha Virago 750.Both of those have outperformed my 900 vulcan,especially the Virago,it pisses on it.I expected it to at least be on par with the virago.

I really like the bike cosmetically and its really comfortable.I just cant deal with the performance.Its covered for another 1 1/2 years under the good times protection program. What do you guys think ? I just find it hard to believe the 900 custom is this slow.
its hard to reply to this. everyone of these 900s ride different it seems. i have yet taken my bike over 90 mph. evertime i bring it up to that speed it starts to shake and it sounds like its going to blow up ,the rpms sound like their higher than hell. that is wierd it stalls on you though. that sound like somthing could be wrong. i would have it takin in to a reputable place to have it looked at.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I had an 1100 Virago before my 1500FI and performance wise...no comparison. Even with giving up 400cc's, the Virago would absolutely "smoke" the Vulcan. But, they are two different kinds of bikes, weight, style, etc. It really is unfair to compare.
If you are having a driveability problem with your bike, post back.
By the way, all of those Virago's were bullet proof and stand the test of time well!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the Viragos' were great,I had my 750 for 9 years before I got the Vulcan this past Spring.The last 2 years I owned it I got pipes,jetted the carbs,and K&N air filter.That thing was like a rocket.

Its running fine I guess.Its probably just not the bike for me.I should of done more research on it before I bought it.It just seems weird how some people say the can do 115 with more juice left in it, and some people like me struggle to do 90. Thats a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I had mine for 10 years and did ZERO repairs on it. Just regular maintenance. I would still have it except I do 99% of my riding two-up and the Virago was a little cramped in that regard. The Vulcan fills that bill a lot better.
Reminds me of a fellow that I knew a few years ago. He bought himself a new Road King, took it out and at about 85 to 90, she was all done. He was some ticked! Took it back to the dealer and they said that for about $4000, they could bolt on a little more top end. He sold it.

PS. Top speed is usually over rated by most and the speedo's are out by about 20% anyways.

·
Registered
295 Posts
its hard to reply to this. everyone of these 900s ride different it seems. i have yet taken my bike over 90 mph. evertime i bring it up to that speed it starts to shake and it sounds like its going to blow up ,the rpms sound like their higher than hell. that is wierd it stalls on you though. that sound like somthing could be wrong. i would have it takin in to a reputable place to have it looked at.
Same here with mine. Up to 70-75 it's fine, but when you get to 80 it doesn't like it very well. I don't worry about it though 'cause I didn't buy it for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '03 1600 Classic topped out at an indicated 108 mph. I ran it up there once just to see what it had. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 900LT with it's big windscreen and saddlebags hanging out there would be hard pressed to reach 95. To me the top speed of my 900 is irrelevant, the bike will run 75 - 80 mph on the freeway if I need it to and that's fine. If I needed more speed I'd have kept my '03 Concours. The Concours cost me about $1000 less (both used) than the Vulcan but the Vulcan is more fun for cruising around town and the back roads where I live.

Doug

·
Registered
782 Posts
There is a guy on the forum here from South Africa (SLASH is his username). He claims to regularly run his 900 custom at 110+mph. Of course he states it in kph(180). He has not been complaining of issues with his 900. However I do not know what bolt on power parts he has added. He does complain of the lack of availabilty of parts when you live in Africa. Also, I agree with one of the other folks to reply. If it is stalling out, that doesn't sound right. Topping out the speed should not be causing stalls. I would take it to a service center to see if something is really wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The bike shouldn't stall after running 90. Sounds like you may need to get the computer checked out. My 07 Custom has run at 85 all day long (Syracuse NY to Baltimore) with no problems and still had plenty of gitty-up, but I've tinkered with the intake and have an Fi-2000. Top end is right around 120 with the larger diameter Avon tire.

The 900 has a mild tune and isn't a speed demon. A little more cam would have been nice but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had mine up over 90 on a regular basis on the morning comute to work.

Mine is an 08 though. Never have had a single issue with my bike yet.

I would have it checked out if I was you!

·
Registered
167 Posts
My VN900 is silky smooth all the way up to 120mph...yes the engine is at its top but it does not feel like the bike is about to come apart at 80mph like some say....

Have some of you thought that maybe your roads suck where you try to go faster than usual :) just a thought

·
Registered
782 Posts
My VN900 is silky smooth all the way up to 120mph...yes the engine is at its top but it does not feel like the bike is about to come apart at 80mph like some say....

Have some of you thought that maybe your roads suck where you try to go faster than usual :) just a thought
What? You mean that I can't run 100+mph on some Virginia rural road that hasn't been re-tarred in 30 years?! Maybe I need to try it on I-85 between Oxford, NC and the Virginia line where they haven't re-paved the cement interstate since Eisenhower built the damned thing. Hell, when it was new it was rough... tha-dump, tha-dump, tha-dump, tha-dump. :D
Anyone out there know what I mean?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The previous owner purchased the extended warrenty so its covered under the good times protection plan til march 2011.I'm definately gonna take it to one of the Kawasaki dealers to get checked out.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I'm curious to know what the dealers find. Please post back to let us know what you find out. I'm really pleased with my 09 900, only have a little over 1,000 miles on it, so I haven't had any problems yet. Did do the gas gauge fix, and bought the hex bolts to fix the zerks, but no problems, just all smiles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased a 2009 900 classic. I had it up to 105 the other day. I think I could have got a little more out of it but I backed off. Thats just way to fast for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a guy on the forum here from South Africa (SLASH is his username). He claims to regularly run his 900 custom at 110+mph. Of course he states it in kph(180). He has not been complaining of issues with his 900. However I do not know what bolt on power parts he has added. He does complain of the lack of availabilty of parts when you live in Africa. Also, I agree with one of the other folks to reply. If it is stalling out, that doesn't sound right. Topping out the speed should not be causing stalls. I would take it to a service center to see if something is really wrong. Good luck.
Not sure about 110 but I was playing around with a couple of guys on harleys the other day and I reached 100 before I let off, it felt like it still had some more left in it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Something must not be right as some have said only had mine a week.I twist the grip @ 55 & it zips to 90 then I let off,but was saprised how fast it got there.This is all stock

1 - 20 of 30 Posts