Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to increase the MPG on this bike so I can ride it further than 100 miles before I look to fill up. I decided to install the Hydrogen on Demand system I build for the Ultra Classic I had (2007), sold it thinking I was going to retire. Anyway, I took for a test drive today. I definitely felt the difference on the bike, about 35 miles into the test. The bike died , as suspect the hydrogen system was probably using more amps that this bike can produce. hence it ran the battery dead and it was not charging.

What kind of voltage should I read when the bike is idling and the stator is charging? Does the stator on this bike acts the alternator on a car? The old test to see it the alternator is charging, by removing the Neg terminal. The engine should stay running since it should be using power from the alternator.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Voltage at the engine speed that it turns when you are doing 30mph should be in the 14v range.
If you are getting poor mileage, that is what should be addressed.
The alternator "acts" like an automotive one, but its operating principles are different.

I do not recommend the old "remove the cables test".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltage at the engine speed that it turns when you are doing 30mph should be in the 14v range.
If you are getting poor mileage, that is what should be addressed.
The alternator "acts" like an automotive one, but its operating principles are different.

I do not recommend the old "remove the cables test".
Are you saying, since I am not getting that good mpg. I should address the alternator, meaning replace it.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Are you saying, since I am not getting that good mpg. I should address the alternator, meaning replace it.
"Poor mileage" is subjective. A 1500 Classic will get 47-52 MPG stock, ridden at 60 MPH, on flat land with a steady throttle hand.

Have you done other mods to the bike? New pipes, jets/ processor, and air kit will reduce mileage as a rule by an average of 10 MPG.

Is the 100 miles to a tank on a 4.2 tank, or a 5 gallon tank?
Do you ride on mountainous terrain at altitudes, or flat land at sea level? Do you ride at 60-65 MPH or 75-80? Do you make jackrabbit starts or slow easy accelerations? The way you ride and where you ride will affect your mileage :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Poor mileage" is subjective. A 1500 Classic will get 47-52 MPG stock, ridden at 60 MPH, on flat land with a steady throttle hand.

Have you done other mods to the bike? New pipes, jets/ processor, and air kit will reduce mileage as a rule by an average of 10 MPG.

Is the 100 miles to a tank on a 4.2 tank, or a 5 gallon tank?
Do you ride on mountainous terrain at altitudes, or flat land at sea level? Do you ride at 60-65 MPH or 75-80? Do you make jackrabbit starts or slow easy accelerations? The way you ride and where you ride will affect your mileage :)
The bike does not have a processor. As far as the Jets, I am not sure what was done to it before me. The exhaust, I did removed the "kidney" looking thing where the two pipes meet and ran a straight pipe to the muffler.

No hills during any of my rides and cruise the speed limit and 5-10 mph over. Starting of, just slow and easy. I have the 4 plus gal. tank. I got so used to my Harley, the first time I took this out I happen to look at the gas gauge and it was almost on empty. filled up and put in 3.5 gal and only went 110 miles.

I want to take this to the Tails of the Dragon, like most of my previous bike. But with low mpg, the ride will be a challenge. So I think I will trailer it there and ride that way.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Your bike probably needs to be tuned. Some guys tune them for maximum horsepower, which usually means lower mileage, and some tune for mileage. Unfortunately, with these 1500s you don't often get both. I had mine tunes for 42 MPG but it was a bit lean on the top end. Now it accelerates faster at speed but gets 34-38 MPG.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your bike probably needs to be tuned. Some guys tune them for maximum horsepower, which usually means lower mileage, and some tune for mileage. Unfortunately, with these 1500s you don't often get both. I had mine tunes for 42 MPG but it was a bit lean on the top end. Now it accelerates faster at speed but gets 34-38 MPG.
The mpg I am getting, I am certain the previous owner had it tuned for max power. I say that becuase of the RICH exhaust. What can I do to tune it for mileage? As I shared I like to ride long and not worry about needing gas where there's none around to get.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
What size are the main and pilot jets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts