Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few of you have taken the Vulcan emblem off the tank. Whats the best way to do it without messing up the paint on the tank or is that even a concern?? I am thinking I would like to remove it but am afraid I might mess up the paint job and have a crappy looking tank with chips in it..

·
Registered
156 Posts
warm it up with a hairdrier. then take fishline and use a sawing motion to cut thru the sticky holding the badge on. once off, use goo-gone or something similar to remove excess gunk.
once off, if you decide you want them back on (like I did) 3M 2sided tape(the grey thicker stuff) works wonders. its pretty much the same as whats on there now.

I think de-badged looks great on two-tone like the LT's. it just didnt work for me on my Titanium Classic. tank was to plain, even with my tank bib on.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Take your time, and heat the emblems for 1-2 minutes. They'll practically peel off on their own. Then you can just roll off the remaining adhesive and/or use Goo Gone on it.

After warming up the emblems and the sticky, you can run fishing line or floss behind the emblem too. Just be patient and don't scrape! OR, if you're impatient and DO scrape, be prepared to use some polishing compound to get the scratches out of your paint. ;) They do come out, but it's annoying... if you google debadging your vulcan, quite a few threads with ideas pop up.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Take your time, and heat the emblems for 1-2 minutes. They'll practically peel off on their own. Then you can just roll off the remaining adhesive and/or use Goo Gone on it.

After warming up the emblems and the sticky, you can run fishing line or floss behind the emblem too. Just be patient and don't scrape! OR, if you're impatient and DO scrape, be prepared to use some polishing compound to get the scratches out of your paint. ;) They do come out, but it's annoying... if you google debadging your vulcan, quite a few threads with ideas pop up.
I got to thinking about this post and cringed... LOL.

IF you scrape, use one of those soft nylon scrapers like my wife uses on her non-stick pans NOT a razor blade or similar scraper, or anything with a metal blade for that matter!!! The recommendation is not to scrape at all unless you're comfortable removing a few minors scratches!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I gotcha.. We have a heat sink heater at work, I wonder if that would work or would that be too much heat??? I am really weary of messing up a nice paint job..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Couldn't answer that one. I just used a hair dryer, and as cautious as I am, probably didn't heat up the emblems as much as I could/should have.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
No I gotcha.. We have a heat sink heater at work, I wonder if that would work or would that be too much heat??? I am really weary of messing up a nice paint job..
Sounds like too much potential for damage to me, I'd stick with a plain ol hair dryer or let it sit in the sun for an hour.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used dental floss it is waxy and does not scratch, then to take the glue off turtle wax bug and tar remover it is a wax so you get the polish with taking it off, take you time and do not rush it, the embelmes and the reflectors all come off the same way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you don't really need a heat gun if it's hot outside. When I did mine I let it sit in the sun for a little while and used the fishing line and goof off method. I did it on a black bike and got no scratches.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ditto to that. I only removed the Kawasaki badge on the side cover (not there yet with the rest of them as I like the Vulan badges and a little extra protection doesn't hurt). When it's over 100 here in the Big Tomato, I just park whatever it is outside and after about 30-40 minutes, efverything is pretty much toasty warm and easily removable. I would also add I highly suggest you wax your tank withat least 2 coats after debadging. I use that Magura stuff in a blue bottle. It's quick, easy and leaves one hella shine.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Speaking of badges... I *LOVE* the one that comes behind the backrest on the LT's. Anyone removed that one and would like to get rid of it? :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts