Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any ideas on how to get a silver dollar size dent out of a tank?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, I've tried crying, but it didn't help one darn bit. I'm gonna go by the local Dent's R Us shop and see if they can offer suggestions.

And if you're going to work on the handlebars, take the dang tank off!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tank dents

For those little to mid size dents without a crease in the metal try Dry Ice. You should be able to look in the Yellow pages and find out where you can buy some. It's not expensive.
That's what the pro's use on hail damage.
Stop at a local body shop and let them look at it, They may know something better.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If there is no crease in the metal and the paint hasn't been damaged, most of it can be gotten out by one of the paintless dent repair guys like Dent Wizard. If, that is, the dent is in a position where they can get their tool in the gas filler opening and reach it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
does anybody have any ideas on how to get a silver dollar size dent out of a tank?
If there is no crease, you may be able to get it out with a small toilet plunger. You just need to find one that is small enough to fit around the dent and maintain a tight seal to the tank.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have owned and operated a Paintless Dent Repair shop since 1991. And I have only been able to get one small dent out of a gas tank. The metal is just entirely to heavy. The dents are usually in a terrible spot. And there is a huge risk of mangling the filler opening.

And no, dry ice won't work and no, a plunger won't work. :)

Was wondering why gas tanks aren't just made utilitarian and then a fancy painted stylish cover added to it. Then if damaged it would be fairly simple to unbolt a cover and replace it. And much cheaper to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree, dry ice will not work and a toilet plunger will not work. This is a good oppurtunity to have a new tank added without the seams around the bottom.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have owned and operated a Paintless Dent Repair shop since 1991. And I have only been able to get one small dent out of a gas tank. The metal is just entirely to heavy. The dents are usually in a terrible spot. And there is a huge risk of mangling the filler opening.

And no, dry ice won't work and no, a plunger won't work. :)

Was wondering why gas tanks aren't just made utilitarian and then a fancy painted stylish cover added to it. Then if damaged it would be fairly simple to unbolt a cover and replace it. And much cheaper to.
What you say about the tank being a facade is what they do with sport bikes now. When I had my 02 Ninja ZX6R it was a metal tank and of course it had a dent in it. Fortunately a tank bra covered it, but the new ones are plastic tanks with a plastic cover over it that looks like a tank.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dry ice worked fine on the side of my ZL600 tank. Don't know what caused the dent since the po put it there - about 4" diameter. Agree the metal is thick and I had to do it twice but the end result although not perfect beat $500 for a new tank on a 20yo bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How heavy of a metal is on the ZL600 tank? Dry ice will sometimes work on lighter metal. The problem is with high heat the dent usually comes back. Also there is a huge risk of "burning" the clear coat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts