Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, My bike ticks...fine....always did, always will. I don't care anymore.
First thing in the morning, no tick....ride, shut down, start back up...ticks. Happens EVERY time. Bike needs to get warm first, never happens till I shut it down....then restart while it's warm. WHY? ANYONE have an answer? Only EVER happens when the bike gets warm....and I shut it off (to get gas etc...)...then restart. I could ride it for ten hours...no tick. Soon as I restart...tick. I see videos posted, forum postings, talk about it....but never, NEVER, A MECHANICAL answer.
Thanks and best regards...SH.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm not a mechanic... I'm guessing!

The engine is running splashing oil all over the place like it is supposed to. You turn it off and oil settles. Makes sense that when you restart, you are hearing metal on metal. Not a bad thing, but a likely cause of tick. I always ignore it. It is a machine. If I want quiet, I'll buy one those electric bikes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I feel you... noises from motors drive me insane....! :skeleton:

I don't think you are going to get closure on here as to what it is but I am curious to see what folks say...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Are we still doing this thread? They tick its kawi. Regardless they all tick. No one has ever had a mechanical fail because of it. Enjoy it. I love the sound of a motor.

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd like to know as well. TONS of engines have failed with what started as a "tick", I wish my bike didn't have what sounds like the first symtom of a dying engine.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd like to know as well. TONS of engines have failed with what started as a "tick", I wish my bike didn't have what sounds like the first symtom of a dying engine.
Motorcycle engines crank harder then car motors. Car tick is different then cycle tick.

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
987 Posts
Stethescope

Ok, My bike ticks...fine....always did, always will. I don't care anymore.
First thing in the morning, no tick....ride, shut down, start back up...ticks. Happens EVERY time. Bike needs to get warm first, never happens till I shut it down....then restart while it's warm. WHY? ANYONE have an answer? Only EVER happens when the bike gets warm....and I shut it off (to get gas etc...)...then restart. I could ride it for ten hours...no tick. Soon as I restart...tick. I see videos posted, forum postings, talk about it....but never, NEVER, A MECHANICAL answer.
Thanks and best regards...SH.
Run down to Canadian Tire and pick up a cheap stethescope from the auto department. Make sure it has a long probe attachement for the receiver. Only way to absolutely pinpoint the source. You will likely find out that the annoying little noises are from solenoids or injectors. I have a little valve noise too, but dealer says it is normal for the 9 to click, tick, and snick...:cool:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We all know Kawi's tick guys...and no, it's not the fi.....it's the upper cylinder tick....after it warms up, gets shut off...and restarts. I guess the oil runs back to the pan...and the pump is weak...to get it back up.....
Maybe I'll try 20-50 for the heck of it.....next year...lol.

·
Banned
148 Posts
We all know Kawi's tick guys...and no, it's not the fi.....it's the upper cylinder tick....
I think it is more likely that it is a hydralic valve lifter that "drains down" when it is hot....and then pumps back up as the engine runs a bit.

Of course, if the engine in question has solid lifters, then........?????

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I think it is more likely that it is a hydralic valve lifter that "drains down" when it is hot....and then pumps back up as the engine runs a bit.

Of course, if the engine in question has solid lifters, then........?????
No such animal on a Vulcan 900 unfortunately. My CB750 has hydraulic lifters and it's great never having to take the cam cover off for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have always been bothered by what I define as unusual engine noise. That being said the Kawa tick is not one of them. What I believe I am hearing is a tick from the fuel injectors. I've heard valve noise (ticking) in cars, and this isn't it (IMO). I get bothered by rubbing, scraping, and grinding noises as I know there is damage bring done.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Boy, if someone sold you a 900 with hydraulic lifters, then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya!

Just kiddin'! But yes, sounds like a "I'll tell you whatever I need to tell you to sell you" kinda dealer. Or just a "I don't know, but I'm gonna tell you anyway". Same issue with most of the places out here too, unfortunately. I just do my research beforehand and treat them like the local wal-mart. They've got what I need in stock, not expecting any help picking it out! No this bad boy has Overhead cams, with bucket/shim type valves that must be adjusted periodically.

·
Registered
399 Posts
just to further comment on the issue. i was riding with a harley guy the other day when he wanted to go to the harley dealership. i say ok. so we go. we get there and tells me he wants to have a tech ride his bike cause he keeps hearing a tick. i say well thats valve train noise its normal. he goes yea but its driving me nuts!! i say well if you laid under the hood of my car you would prolly goes nuts too, lol i say you are sitting on a motor just to mess with him. anyways tech rides it and says the same thing sounds like normal valve train noise and the harley guy just wanted to slap me cause im a kid and hes like 50 (no offense). not to put anyone down but he prolly doesnt do his own work on the bike and just limited experience leads people to believe there is something wrong cause it doesnt run as smooth as a car. remember TWO big pistons putting out not to bad horsepower. now i definitely dont know everything about bikes or cars but im not too bad. for future reference to the next person that reads this, if theres something wrong youll know it, and if you dont it will be too late to fix it anyways.

·
Banned
148 Posts
But yes, sounds like a "I'll tell you whatever I need to tell you to sell you" kinda dealer.
I think he honestly didn't know.

The thing that is kind of unsettling is that he went to ask the service manager and got the same (wrong) answer. That doesn't surprise me though as I haven't had much faith in the service manager for a LONG time now.
It's good that the rest of the service staff seems to be competent.

Bottom line:
Like chain vs shaft vs belt.....and some other minor differences, I have never rejected a bike that I like to RIDE because of considerations like that. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts