Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I took the plunge and got myself my very first vn900 custom se.Outstanding bike.Thing is I've listened to all the exhaust sound clips on here but can not find any with a deep burble noise to them,they all sound well loud.Living in UK we have strict sound levels.
Can anyone in Uk or anywhere else suggest an exhaust.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You might consider using some Harley Sportster mufflers as slip - ons for your factory exhaust.

Most of the aftermarket pipes are probabley going to be louder than your laws allow.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ok I took the plunge and got myself my very first vn900 custom se.Outstanding bike.Thing is I've listened to all the exhaust sound clips on here but can not find any with a deep burble noise to them,they all sound well loud.Living in UK we have strict sound levels.
Many thanks.
most best sounding pipes, slip ons have found are these 1.75" cherry bombs w/integral glass packs. $25 each at autozone.
these are not too loud at all. at idle they are equal to or maybe even quieter than stock. roll up ez and they have a nice deep bass. I dont spank my motor (anymore) but they dont bark either.
they work great, sound, feel, power, back pressure, gas mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poncho they look good,do you have a sound clip and did you have to mod any kind of brackets to make them fit?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Poncho they look good,do you have a sound clip and did you have to mod any kind of brackets to make them fit?
its on Utoob. will find the link and post it soon. No brackets necessary. these babies 1.75" are snugg! had to beat them on with a rubber mallett. been running them 8k miles sofar and dont even have a bolt holding them on. theyr not goin nowhere I dont take em. Yellerstones NP July-Aug.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Sounds good

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
A combination of engine size, and stroke give the deep sound, all after market pipes can be loud, none give a good tone IMHO ... the 900 just does not have the displacement. Im sure there will be many with aftermarket pipes who disagree, then again , i probably woulld if a had dropped $500 on a set of pipes.

Big jugs get the looks in real life, i suspect it is the same with aftermarket pipes.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think my 800 sounds pretty good and a few have mentioned that it does also.

I have V&H cruzers , they are actually designed for smaller displacement engines. I would imagine smaller diameter pipes than many of the others use. They have a nice low tone to them , but may be on the loud side. I'm sure they would sound good on a 900 but may be too loud for your noise ordinance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Many thanks.
I just went through this myself. A long and annoying process but its really rewarding when they've arrived.

I have no technical knowledge whatsoever and i fitted my exhaust plus homemade O2 eliminators which you will need to do (as pipes don't have fittings for O2 sensors) in probably 1h30mins. I bought the freedom performance sharp curve radius exhausts and wow they are loud. When people say videos don't do exhausts justice believe them then X10. Im not sure if its the same by you but in Berkshire i don't see many cruisers with custom exhausts so never really knew how loud they were.

A friend of mine has a 2 into 1 on his Yamaha 1300 midnight star which is way beyond legal and now he cant hear his when im around. Don't worry about the noise levels police don't care for cruisers and a garage will always get around it. None of them are really deep but they do make awesome noise. I prefer a curved pipe as i have the 2011 Custom SE.

Just reply or PM if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A combination of engine size, and stroke give the deep sound, all after market pipes can be loud, none give a good tone IMHO ... the 900 just does not have the displacement. Im sure there will be many with aftermarket pipes who disagree, then again , i probably woulld if a had dropped $500 on a set of pipes.

Big jugs get the looks in real life, i suspect it is the same with aftermarket pipes.
I don't have them, but L had Cobra Dragsters - they're pretty deep and rumbling at idle - and he got them for less than $200, too. LOL. And they have a helluva bark when he cracks them. I have Cobra Swepts, and they're not even near as deep - nothing close. I know a chick with Cobra longs, and they're nice and deep as well. IN addition, I was in a local shop a while back, and a guy had a 900 Custom with Hard Krome pipes, and they were pretty damn deep, too.

So, yeah - the sound is out there!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got the V&H twin staggered on my bike, a Vulcan Custom 900 and they sound awesome! Took months to get them in black but would not have been happy w any other pipes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Need more info

You might consider using some Harley Sportster mufflers as slip - ons for your factory exhaust.

Most of the aftermarket pipes are probabley going to be louder than your laws allow.
Could you please explain how to do this?
I'm thinking of cutthing off the thick part of the pipes, but if left just like that the bike will sound like a can, so i was considering to use slip ons or somethimg like you suggested.
Any ideas abouthow it will sound?
I really appreciate anyones input on this, buying new pipes are not prioritary right now, maybe in a year or two.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm working on a custom insert for my cobra 2-into-1 pipes. Don't ask :)

I did find some fiberglass pipe insulation (just playing around I stuck a 3' length of it in there minus the "paper" wrapping) really quiets it down! I'm sure cut it short enough it doesn't hang a foot out the end of the pipe though!

More development in terms of making it a bit more robust and such will be the step after that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts