Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at how I might be able to get the same deep sound out of my stock pipes without the volume that comes from a stage 3 debaffle. I want to stay within the local laws as much as possible and a stage 3 debaffle will definitely put me over the limit and there's no way I know to reverse the process and pass a noise test.

Is there some way to get that nice deep rumble without a total debaffle?

OR

Is there some way to temporarily re-baffle a stage 3 debaffled pipe?

· Registered
3,894 Posts
One way of rebaffelling, at least somewhat, is to find the depth of the pipe for the 1st baffle and insert a soft plug/freeze plug of the proper size to fit snug. Basically you are replacing the baffle plate that you drilled out. You can tap it into the pipe in small increments and start the bike until you get to the sound you need to pass a test but still be able to operate the bike at least for a short while.I have never done this, but its an idea. This will only work if the baffles are still there but drilled out.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have a stage 1 debaffle done at the moment and have a couple of ideas for passing a noise test. Hopefully it won't come to that.

The real question is what can I do if I remove the baffle entirely. Is there some sort of baffle that I can bolt in temporarily that will make it pass the test?

· Registered
179 Posts
Read "punching holes in back wall of baffles" posted by Romper and you will see what I did. It works for me and I am happy with the sound. I suggest punching out the center screen/plug as a first step and you may decide you don't need to do anything else.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read "punching holes in back wall of baffles" posted by Romper and you will see what I did. It works for me and I am happy with the sound. I suggest punching out the center screen/plug as a first step and you may decide you don't need to do anything else.
Ha ha ha... yeah I've been watching that one as well. Romper doesn't live far from me. I'll get him to ride up this way when he is done so I can hear what it sounds like... :)

It's all about having a cool sounding bike but passing the noise test if I have to...

· Registered
765 Posts
As long as you are not removing anything, could you just fill in the holes? When needed?

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you are not removing anything, could you just fill in the holes? When needed?
Yeah that will be the idea if I stay with the current stage 1 debaffle (8 holes per pipe) or go to a stage 2 debaffle (rebar punch).

I'm trying to come up with a way to give it the stage 3 debaffle (total baffle removal) and not get busted!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.