Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun to get a significant decrease in mpgs the last few times i have ridden. I usually get between 55-60 mpgs, but am now getting between 44-49 mpgs. The bike has about 5100 miles on it. I have never had the valves checked/adjusted. Do you think this sudden decrease in mpgs could be due to the valves getting too tight? The bike seems to run as good as ever and to have plenty of power, just is eating much more gas. Please advise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the air filter today. A little dirty, but not excessively. Smelled strongly of gas. Had plenty of oil on it.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
See post #4. Plugs are a good indicator of many things and to not take a look could set your wheels to spinning. (That means going in circles.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, with no further interference from me, my milage on last couple of tanks has shot back up to 55-56 mpg. I am now thinking the decrease was a result of riding in high winds, and maybe some substandard gas. Do you get this kind of drastic reduction from winds? Some of them were strong headwinds.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Riding into headwinds does knock down the mileage a bit. I find my 500 drops 3-5 mpg driving into a 20 mph headwind. The 500 has to work hard in these conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts