Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you can all see I'm new here, just bought my 900 on Thursday and am ready to order my pipes but am having a hard time deciding. I had started out with just expecting to buy the Cobra dragsters, I liked the way they sounded on another 900 and figured that would work. Well after hearing everyone else talk about Vance and Hines and Hard Krome I'm having a hard time deciding. Price is a bit of a factor, for the pipes really don't want to spend more than $500 and really the lower the better(I have bike payments to make). What's your all's take on after market exhausts, shed some light on this issue for me please, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I liked the look of stock so I gutted them and run them. They are not as loud as straight aftermarket pipes, not even close. But they were loud enough for PGR runs. For optimum power I'm told Roadburners 2n1, a High flow intake and fuel modulator will get the last bit out of your bike. You can do them one at a time as long as the fuel modulator is the 2nd thing. Finding the right pipes for you is a personal thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the cobra dragsters, they sound good but sometimes i wish I had something a little less loud. They are good quality and the chrome finish is holding up well for setting outside much of the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the cobra dragsters, they sound good but sometimes i wish I had something a little less loud. They are good quality and the chrome finish is holding up well for setting outside much of the time.
How many Vulcan 900's have you heard that sounded louder?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hoping not to hijack the thread. I can create a new one.

Related question. I also find the stock a bit too quiet. Feel like I hear drive train noise over the exhaust.

I start my bike in the morning before work in an apartment complex and really don't want to become "That guy"

Are there aftermarket exhausts that aren't obnoxiously loud or should I just de-baffle the stockers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Virginia, why the hell not be "that guy" I'd be willing to bet there are people there that do stuff to aggravate you, besides, live for you not "them"!!

As far as pipes go, Cobra's are loud and one of the least expensive. After working in a stealership for 6 years(not anymore) I have almost all pipes on almost all bikes, that being said the rest of this is my opinion. Cobra's have a tone to them that I don't care for (had em on my 900) Vance and Hines are one of the best sounding on any bike only reason they are not on mine--they don't make a longshot for the 900 and after talking to a V&H tech was told not to expect them. I run 3" black Roadburner's. If you are looking for the ultimate performance you have to run a 2 into 1 and yea they are loud.

·
Registered
23 Posts
exhaust

i have vance and hines staggerds on my 900, but i took out the vance and hines baffles and put in big city thunder baffles. the bike is plenty loud. i get people coming up to me all the time asking what kind of harley do i have

·
Registered
976 Posts
Worked for me and the price was right. If you're worried about not having the OEMs though, you can usually find them on Ebay for around 100-150.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just debaffled my stock pipes and am really happy with the sound. You can debaffle your stock pipes in stages until you are happy with the sound. I like mine with 4-3/8" holes in them. Best part is, it's dirt cheap! I suggest you go to youtube and check out a bunch of vids before you decide what to do.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just put on Vance & Hines & like the sound .I don,t think I would want anything louder.Also put the Power Comander on & think it smooths it all out but not any faster.I get less poping with this than with the debaffled stockers.

·
Registered
987 Posts
900 pipes

I put a Cobra Boulevard HP 2into1 on my 900. It is a little louder than I expected from a 2 into 1, but it has this incredible howl at high speed, kind of like the V-Max. Horsepower gain was noticeable as well. Seems to help get rid of the high rpm shake the 900 comes stock with.:cool:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I don't own these but like their double wall construction, they have been tested and they were rated very good as far as workmanship and quality of the chrome finish:

http://www.hardkrome.com/pages/products.asp?AppID=193

I looked at the "Res Tech" model, it has a reduced sound technology.

You should call any manufacturer you are considering for a purchase, and ask them if they can email you a sound file to hear how the exhaust system sounds on your bike or at least on some other twin. They may be able to do that for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I highly recommend drilling out the center plug with the 7/8" hole saw first and you will be very surprised of the difference.If you like that and want just a little bit deeper then drill 8 5/16 holes around the end of the baffles.This way you can keep those awesome stock pipes that make the 900 a sweet looking bike and best of all keep the 500.00 bucks for a nice trip....

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm a little curious about this. Is there a desired sound level for PGR runs, or is it just because you're riding with mostly Harlys & trying to "keep up"?

First, there's no problem keeping up with all but the V2K's, Hardly's are just another bike nothing more special than that.

No, when you've got some self ordained idiot that wants to spew hate and stomp on the already broken hearts of a fallen soldiers family, drowning em out why you go by is as nice as showing em your backsides during the service.

Running by with my out of oil sewing machine just didn't have the same affect. And the parades I've been in were probably the only time folks have looked for a little noise. The crowd chearing on while a bunch of em are mimicking gassin the handlebars. The most fun I've had since marching band.

Besides, gutted stockers are not nearly loud. I've sat next to many and really didn't know I was running. The loudest I've sat next to by the way was a Honda 700 with HK's on it. OUCH!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey All,
I'm in the same boat, thinkin about either the HK American Classic's or the Britt Hot Rod's. Anybody out there hear either of these pipes on the 900. The HK's sound incredible on my son's Raider, but hey he's got a 1000cc's over me. One thing I do like about his Raider and those pipes is that when you are off the throat and just cruisin or idling they are quiet as hell. But when you get on them, oh hell. Let loose the dogs of war.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
First, there's no problem keeping up with all but the V2K's, Hardly's are just another bike nothing more special than that.

No, when you've got some self ordained idiot that wants to spew hate and stomp on the already broken hearts of a fallen soldiers family, drowning em out why you go by is as nice as showing em your backsides during the service.

Running by with my out of oil sewing machine just didn't have the same affect. And the parades I've been in were probably the only time folks have looked for a little noise. The crowd chearing on while a bunch of em are mimicking gassin the handlebars. The most fun I've had since marching band.

Besides, gutted stockers are not nearly loud. I've sat next to many and really didn't know I was running. The loudest I've sat next to by the way was a Honda 700 with HK's on it. OUCH!!!
I gotcha.

I didn't mean "keep up" as in speed, but sound level. I didn't know the protestors were still showing up (I'm brand new to the PGR), but if they do, that is how they need to be dealt with.

I have no interest in being the loudest guy in a group ("that guy"), but I wouldn't mind a little more volume. I'm at stage 1 of debaffling so far. Actually, if I could just get the sound deeper I'd be happy with the volume.

Hey Mr. Clean, are you gonna be in Eureka Springs next week?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So as you can all see I'm new here, just bought my 900 on Thursday and am ready to order my pipes but am having a hard time deciding. I had started out with just expecting to buy the Cobra dragsters, I liked the way they sounded on another 900 and figured that would work. Well after hearing everyone else talk about Vance and Hines and Hard Krome I'm having a hard time deciding. Price is a bit of a factor, for the pipes really don't want to spend more than $500 and really the lower the better(I have bike payments to make). What's your all's take on after market exhausts, shed some light on this issue for me please, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I have the HK 2.5 Strippers on mine, they were on the bike when I bought it. They were way too loud for me, but to others they sound really great. I did put the Smart Partz baffles in and that deepened it up alot, and I like them a little more now. They do appear to be a high quality part. I personally like the look of the V&H Staggerds the best, at least on the Custom. Been thinking about selling my HK's, but would like to hear the V&H's in person first. Most sound clips just don't do aftermarket pipes justice. Just my opinion, hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts