Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here is the step-by-step process when I debaffled my 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom.

Debaffling Stock Pipes On '09 Vulcan Custom
This is a continual discussion here online. What you did was step one. If you're happy with the sound that's great. I never removed my pipes from the bike and I removed the complete baffle pipe as well as enlarging the flow to just about the whole inside diameter of the pipes. Search discussions on de-baffling and you'll see tons of advice. I did like the clear pictures though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a continual discussion here online. What you did was step one. If you're happy with the sound that's great. I never removed my pipes from the bike and I removed the complete baffle pipe as well as enlarging the flow to just about the whole inside diameter of the pipes. Search discussions on de-baffling and you'll see tons of advice. I did like the clear pictures though
Thanks for your post. I didn't want my exhaust extremely loud thats why i didnt completly remove the muffler. This is for people like myself who want a good sound but not something too loud. Doing mine, I used a recipricating saw and did not want to damage anything on the bike, plus I got the pipes up off the ground to work with them easier. I'll check the other posts on here but I'm loving the way mine looks and sounds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd do some hi temp flat black in the pipe to hide it a bit.

How does it sound compared to stock?
Any sound bites?

Mike.
Its give it a beefier sound... a nice rumble when you rev the engine and when idling you know the bike is there without it being too loud. It rarely has sound bites but when it does it's not bad at all.

Since I did this while my bike was winterized I am going to wait until the spring before I decide if I want to black out the inside where it's not chromed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did this mod last night on my '09 SE. I had to black out the inside, w/o it looked real bad with the matte black exhaust. I didn't have a reciprocating saw so I knocked it out with a Dremel tool. We started with the re-enforced cutting wheel... It was too big, and didn't cut very fast so the first baffle ended up as shrapnel. About half way through the first pipe we switched to the smaller heavy duty cutting wheel. SOOOO glad we switched. The heavy duty went through the pipe like a knife through butter, and it fit inside so we were able to cut from the inside out. 1st pipe took two hours, second pipe took 45min.

I was kind of expecting it to be louder, but I do love the look and the throaty bark.

Thanks for the thread crawfordjm. :D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Heh, it's actually step 2. ;) Just knocking out the plug that's in the central pipe itself is step 1.

I'm fully debaffled now, but did my in stages. Just knocking out the plug/screen wasn't enough, so I went to the 4 holes you show in your album. About 2 weeks later, I went to 8 holes, then after about 6 weeks, I went ahead and jumped in to the full process. I couldn't be happier now!

I've even got a friend with some aftermarkets on his 900 custom, but I can't really say that a 400.00 set of pipes sounds any better. :D

Glad you're enjoying the sound! Hope there are MANY early warm days for you coming soon!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Sketso,

8+k miles on the 900 custom debaffled.
I just purchased a used 2008 900 custom with 650 miles. the previous owner started to drill the 8 holes on the top exhaust and stopped. I was thinking about taking the baffles completely out. have you noticed that your bike is running too lean or is the stock ECU handling it fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2003 1600 Custom and I am thinking about doing this mod. The only thing is that people I know say this throws off the fuel/air mix and makes the bike run too lean. I can't afford to wreck my baby but I want some sound out of my monster 1600. Any advice gentlemen?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have a 2003 1600 Custom and I am thinking about doing this mod. The only thing is that people I know say this throws off the fuel/air mix and makes the bike run too lean. I can't afford to wreck my baby but I want some sound out of my monster 1600. Any advice gentlemen?
Unless you take out EVERYTHING (catalytic converter included), you won't need any kind of mix adjustment 99% of the time. Even then, with just a pipe change, even going straight pipes, most folks say a mix change isn't needed.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Thanks Sketso, is the process the same as the other bikes listed here? Drill rivets and take vice grip and pull?
That one I couldn't answer, but ask in the 1600 section and I'd bet those guys could tell ya for sure. Or, one of 'em will probably spot this post and let ya know soon too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i must say, i drilled my baffles out this weekend, and i am very impressed, i would still like it to be a little louder tho..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That may depend on your relationship with your servicing dealer. While Kawi warranty admin still has the final say, how a dealer handles things (talks to the rep, writes the claim, etc.) can have a big influence on what gets covered or not.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts