Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
OPening the air intake is something else I want to do. Is putting an K&N in there good enough? 2 dog bowls tho.... twice the cost...
Go to Gadget's Nomad page and he will give easy step by step instructions on how to open your intake. It's a very inexpensive approach using K&N filters and Spectre chrome covers. It's called the Caddmann intake. I've done it on both sides cause I like the symmetry. But you can leave the left side as is if you prefer. Another option is to use Chuckster's intake for around $170 on one side. That uses a 7" round cover instead of the 9" stock dog bowls. Here's a link to Gadget's page and also a photo of my intakes. BTW Gadget's page is THE definitive Nomad modification source. Tons of useful info.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can anybody tell me if I remove the fibreglass wrap from my V&H mufflers if this will damage the motor in any way. I really like the sound but just a little concerned.:confused:
No it won't damage your motor. I've run it that way for awhile without issue. In fact, I've run it by removing the V&H baffles all together and using ultimate baffles which are just short stubs at the end of the pipes. It gives enough back pressure so that I don't have popping deceleration. But I find the ultimate baffles too loud for my taste. Same with running the V&H baffles without the fiberglass wrap. I find the fiberglass adds a deeper sound than without them. But that's just me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know this thread is 8 years old but maybe my input will help someone.
Just debaffled an '08 Nomad
Here is the result:
It is at least a 2 hours job hours.
Lesson 1:
Use at least a 9-amp drill
Lesson 2:
Pulling the baffles out was EXTREMELY difficult and took 30 minutes of wiggling it per sides, then you can turn it and pull it out (if you're lucky) using the "2 pliers and a crew driver" method (mentioned in this thread)
Lesson 3:
The new sound is a must!
Lesson 4:
My advice is: Go to a muffler shop (or independent bike shop)and let them do it.....even if they charge 100 bucks it is definitely better than doing it yourself.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Gee, that is really something....I had an 07 Nomad years ago and used a Milwaukee circular saw also along with a plug-in electric drill and recall that it took me about two hours to do the whole job on both pipes..I recall using a plug of wood (shaped like a cork in a thermos) in the original exhaust hole into which to center the drill. I also used WD40.
I tell you this just to say it worked for me, even though I hae no idea why you are having so much trouble..

It really resulted in a pleasant sound once I was done.

Hope you get a break through soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Gee, that is really something....I had an 07 Nomad years ago and used a Milwaukee circular saw also along with a plug-in electric drill and recall that it took me about two hours to do the whole job on both pipes..I recall using a plug of wood (shaped like a cork in a thermos) in the original exhaust hole into which to center the drill. I also used WD40.
I tell you this just to say it worked for me, even though I hae no idea why you are having so much trouble..

It really resulted in a pleasant sound once I was done.

Hope you get a break through soon.
I did same on my 05 1600 nomad took about 30min. And sounds and runs great. Do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
I may go the route of the Caddman stock system mods. The 03 VN1600 I bought has a Baron intake system on it but when I sit on the bike my right leg is pressed against the outer cover of the Baron system. If I go back to a modded-stock setup does it move the air filter back in closer under the fuel tank?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts