Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ok, here is the longer story.

Instead of using the 1 3/4 hole saw, I had a 2 1/8 and went with that. The issue is that that size hole saw cuts outside the weld and the part that has to come out did NOT get free. So I went and got a 1 3/4, cut again. Now it became free, twisted, but not pulling out. So after a lot of convincing, pulling, twisting, etc it took about 2 hrs to get it out. Then I took a dremel and cleaned up the mess.

That was muffler #1. Now I have to do #2. To make sure they look the same, I will probably cut it the same way. The 1 3/4 ended up with no teeth, so I need another one of those.

Also, my mufflers are off the bike, which actually makes them harder to hold in place and work on.

But here are the lessons learned :

- If you cut with a bigger hole saw than 1 3/4, you will be outside the weld and you will have a lot of extra work.

- Cutting on the weld is tough so lubricate the hole saw.

- A dremel with the right tips can do wonders to clean up for you. ;-)

I hope the second one goes better.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ok, I got it done.

On #2 I did the exact same cuts (so they look the same). I did the outer cut 2 1/8, then the inside cut at 1 3/4. I then opened the split between the outer case and the silencer.

And, behold, this one just slid out no hassle at all. Go figure. I guess some of them go in there tight and some go in kind of loose.

So I cleaned up the work and painted the inside flat black (hi temp). Now they are hanging on the bike and I am fabricating the hanger brackets for the mufflers.

Perseverance. Patience. And a dremel, and a cold chisel... :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
Debaffled

I recently purchased an '08 red/black Nomad which came already debaffled (the previous owner even included the removed baffles in the right hardbag). I love the sound but didn't like the small 'lip' inside the pipe left after they were cut out, so this what I did:

I made a wooden plug the size of the 'new' opening and using the next size up holesaw and carefully cut through the weld and successfully removed the lip. It came out as a small ring of metal. I then cleaned up the edge with a half-round file and a bit of epoxy 'metal' and some black high temp paint. It gives a better look, with the pipe opening now being a bit larger plus nice and smooth. Will post some pics of the end result soon.

ride safe :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Let me start by saying I just finished this mod. I love the sound. Just right. Not too loud. Now with that said let me share how I got the baffles out. After I did the drilling neither one of them would budge.

The solution. I took two locking needle nose pliers. Clamped one on one side and the other on the opposite side. Inserted a long flat blade screw driver in between them and turned. Once it moved it then slid right out. No hammering and no straining trying to pull
them out.

Easy way to get a better sound. Thanks for all of the advice I've read here and I hope my little nugget helps the next guy out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you guys rate it on the highway? I mean with no earplugs.
I still run stock on my Nad 2008 because I had V&H on my 2006 and could not handle the noise over 55mph.
It was driving me nuts...
I know everybody here loved the results so far but I am afraid to do the mod and not being able to revert it in case I dont like it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're quite welcome Hawk. I think you'll like the sound it produces. It's a deeper sound at low rpms but it does not get overwhelming at high rpms. Just follow the video on how to remove the baffles. Then if yours are stuck like mine were then use my advice. It worked like a charm for me. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Jhow34, one word only...amazing!!
Thank you and everyone that contributed to this post including Pingramnet with his youtube video!
Bike sounds way better after debaffled with a deeper low rumble that is not annoying on high revs.
It is exactly what i was looking for and the best part is no waist of money and time on an aftermarket pipe.
Now my next project is to try quiet a bit the claket and piff piff noise from the engine air intake! It is so loud that is covering the pipes mellow sound :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Newly Debaffled 2007 Nomad - Lessons and Questions.

I read every single post on this thread and took the plunge.

Lesson 1. Don't let your small children help... they get mad if they can't play with the power tools.

Lesson 2. Buy QUALITY bi-metal 1 3/4 saws. I burned the first good one up (From a Big Hardware/Home improvement Store) on the first baffle, but it came right out one it was through.

Lesson 3. DO NOT USE A CORDLESS DRILL. I burned it up. To much draw overheated the battery which is now toast. $75 later a new Mekita plug in drill worked wonders and finished the 1st baffle in 3 minutes flat. Slid right out after I tapped it a couple times with a ball-peen hammer.

Lesson 4. USE QUALITY Saws... I know, I posted it twice, but the second one was from a "local" Hardware store and branded with their name.. Mistake. The saw wasn't straight, it was more expensive than the big name store's version, and required purchasing a special mandrel/drill bit thingy (technical term) to use. SUCKED! Never again.

Results. Nice sound. I'd like just a weeeee bit more sound, but the note is nice and low. A bit more ooomph on the highway came with the mod.

I don't want to kibitz the mileage too much or the FI system So... questions.

1. Does bypassing the Goatbladder increase volume? I believe someone said it increased power a bit.
2. Are there aftermarket pipes that give a bit more volume without getting too bad? I rode a Bouldevard 1800 on V&H shotguns and it was so loud as to be painful.
3. Results from tweaking the inner baffle a bit? Anyone done this one?
4. Will my wife ever understand why I like motorcycles?

Thanks
Crusty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I debaffled my stock Nomad 1600 mufflers this weekend. Just used a 2" hole saw (1 3/4" or 1 7/8" probably would have worked great, 2" may be a little big), and it was extremely simple. One cut, the baffles slid right out using some needle-nose pliers to pull them out. It took a little bit of time to cut through the welds, but with some patience, it wasn't all that hard to do. This was my first major mod to the bike and I didn't think it was all that hard to perform.

I love the way it sounds!! I don't think I'll do anything else to the exhaust after this. Maybe some intake and computer mods, but as for the sound, I love it. No backfiring or "popping" after this either, but it's only been about 15 miles since I did it.
Never say never. I did exactly the same thing and felt the same way for a long time, couple of years. Then, I felt, well, maybe just a little more sound. It kept nagging me until finally I changed out the stocks and went with the V&H pipes. Oh, that's better. Goat belly is gone, better sound and performance. Then I thought, well, what about removing the baffle insulation. Did that for a while. Then wanted more. So I bought a pair of ultimate baffles. Too loud. So now I'm back to V&H with baffles and insulation. That's were I'll probably stay.........until I change it again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh yes... I'm there... I think a have a couple pin holes in the Goat Belly as I'm getting some additional ticking that doesn't appear to be coming from the engine. The Goat Belly is probably going to be more expensive then new pipes which will last longer anyway. I need to start padding the slush fund for better pipes now....

Crusty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh yes... I'm there... I think a have a couple pin holes in the Goat Belly as I'm getting some additional ticking that doesn't appear to be coming from the engine. The Goat Belly is probably going to be more expensive then new pipes which will last longer anyway. I need to start padding the slush fund for better pipes now....
I never had ticking in the goat belly, but I can say that I love the V&H pipes. The looks, the sound. After hearing how difficult changing the pipes can be, I bit the bullet and had the dealer do it, they removed the goat belly at the same time. But some folks have had problems with V&H cracked pipes after around 20k miles. I haven't had problems yet after 4000 miles. Cobra is the only other real choice for bagger duals on the Nomad. Good comments about them.

My recommendation is that when you decide to get the pipes, that you open your air intake and get a fuel processor at the same time. It make a big difference in performance. It's something you really notice when you roll on the throttle.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts