Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started debaffling my 2009 SE. Already removed the rivets and end plate, also finished cutting open the plate that holds the baffle with a 1/2" drillbit, the baffle is moving, yestreday I move it up and down and side to side for like an hour and it did'nt come out, and this was only the upper muffler, have'nt started with the lower one. This mufflers loock a lot like the ones on a 2000 that i saw on a video, and this guybremoved the baffles on a very different way, he took the pipes off the bike. I also tried to do that but it is not that easy, both pipes are connected bogether by another pipe.
Please someone tell me what to do. Worst than not being able to do this is mywife's " I told you to call a professional"

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
Agreed. Mine were a pain but they'll eventually pop free

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
If i remember correctly i didnt have much luck getting them to pop free until i started turning them in a circular motion, instead of just up and down and side to side

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debaffled the pipes stage 3 this afternoon.
Not so easy, i had to take the pipes off, the inner plate, the one in the center of the pipe has welded all around to the baffle, and afger i got the firs baffle out of the plate, it still had a ring keeping it behind the plate. To make a long story sjort, iwent to the hardware store and bought a 24' jackhammer chiesel, and chieseled the heck out of that frigging middle plate. This is why i asked abot the baffles on a 2009 SE.
Well, the important this is that the baffles are out, and my bike now is loud, my twin girls heard me comming 4 blocks away
It was worth the effort

·
Registered
950 Posts
Debaffled the pipes stage 3 this afternoon.
Not so easy, i had to take the pipes off, the inner plate, the one in the center of the pipe has welded all around to the baffle, and afger i got the firs baffle out of the plate, it still had a ring keeping it behind the plate. To make a long story sjort, iwent to the hardware store and bought a 24' jackhammer chiesel, and chieseled the heck out of that frigging middle plate. This is why i asked abot the baffles on a 2009 SE.
Well, the important this is that the baffles are out, and my bike now is loud, my twin girls heard me comming 4 blocks away
It was worth the effort
I took my plates out with a hole saw. Big pain in the ars, but in the end it is a cool sound. Better than my Cobra HP PowerPro 2-1.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just work it out. I found it better to take a long broom handle, and occasionally pound it with a mallet, and work in circles (as mentioned above) and side to side. Also, work QUICKLY, slam it back and forth as fast as you can for a minute.

Most of the time when you debaffle, you're cutting the baffles free and just pulling them out. On the 900 however, they are WELDED on the back end, so we literally have to break and rip them out.

It'll come out, just work it out! Make sure there is enough clearance in the plate you drilled to move the baffles COMPLETELY (like, to the walls of the pipe). I was banging those suckers one side of the pipe to the other for 30 minutes a pop before they came out.

It's a pain, but in the end you get a nice sound and don't spend any money!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts