Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Those of you who have gutted your stock pipes, running 65-70 how's it sound? Do the high revv's make it really buzzy and annoying or does it still have a nice rumble?

I've been searching for a youtube video of it running at higher RPM's but they are all of the bike idling, or revving up to maybe 1500rpms.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I know this is all personal perference, but I have had mine debaffled (full) for 9 months now. I think they sound really good (even at freeway speeds). They do get a bit higher pitched, but I would not call it buzzy (with that I will state I only ride 65-70mph). My son follows behind me 99% of the time and he says it does not bother him, or is too loud. He says the Harleys that go by are far more loud. Now with the SW pulleys I am installing I would expect with the RPM drop, that it will be more of the rumble sound say at 55-60mph (with stock pulleys).

Okay, now I don't know if the exhausts on the 900s sold in California are different than those sold in the 49 other States. I ask this because, when I removed the baffles and looked down the exhaust it runs through a honeycombed catalytic converter. So, even with the baffles removed, the stock exhausts are not entirely open straight pipes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I debaffled mine and thought they sounded great all around...idle,low and high speeds. had it that way for about 1 year,But wanted a louder exhaust with a good rumble so went with the hard krome classics and couldn't be happier. I have heard that certain inspections stations will not pass it with a debaffled exhaust.That may depend on where you live or your where you take it.... but it helps to have a place that"overlooks" that kinda thing

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know of a video of them on the highway or at highway rev's?

Still on the fence... hmm...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Its louder, but not too loud.

I had mine inspected last week. The guy ahead of me had an RC 1 with aftermarket pipes. He passed by one db. When it was my turn with my fully debaffled stock exhaust, the inspector didn't even bother getting out the meter.

As far as highway driving goes, I think its nice to hear the bike to know when to shift instead of guessing by how much my seat is vibrating.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine is not buzzy or tinny; just a deep throated sound which sounds better than stock but not as intrusive as other bikes with aftermarket pipes. When twisting at speed in 5th gear the sound hardens up quite a bit but is mellow without intrusive to me at 70 mph.

I have a clip I did yesterday from takeoff to 70 mph, but I do not have a YouTube account and the clip is 38 meg in size making emailing a problem. I've not found a way to upload that clip here. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not get a youtube account? It's free and takes like 30 seconds. If you have a google account (like for Gmail) that works as a YouTube account as well.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, here is what my bike sounds like at speed with the debaffled stock pipes - http://youtu.be/BCc_8JtQGBU
Doesn't sound half bad! I'm gonna call the local shop and see if they would hypothetically pass a debaffled bike. If I get the green light there, I'm cuttin' them tomorrow since I've got other work I need to be doing with it anyway!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think you're gonna like it Mr. Romans... IMO, it gives the bike the growl it needs without being obnoxious. I'll tell ya this, too, with the memory FRESH in my mind from the morning ride into work: The 9'er purr with debaffled pipes at 60mph or so is just pure bliss! ;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Doesn't sound half bad! I'm gonna call the local shop and see if they would hypothetically pass a debaffled bike. If I get the green light there, I'm cuttin' them tomorrow since I've got other work I need to be doing with it anyway!
Would you consider a trade? I have a set of debaffled pipes that I didn't like and wouldn't mind a good set of stockers to reduce noise occasionally.;)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dangit Ken,

Couldn't you have posted that 5 minutes ago? I JUST started lol. Unless you want pipes with one baffle cap missing :p

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I pulled the trigger!

First on a drill, then a reciprocating saw, then a drill again :D

Sounds great. Didn't bother with so called 'stages' I just took the baffle all the way out. It's not too loud at all, especially with a full face on. I couldn't cut the pipe close enough and didn't have a hole saw deep enough so I just drilled holes around the pipe (1/2") then used a good sized chisel and a hammer and punched out the rest. Then a broom handle to rack it back and forth for a while. First one popped in like 5 minutes, second one I went back and forth on for almost 20 MINUTES!! Then it finally popped.

No decel pop at all and I haven't marbled it yet... but I'm getting absolutely none. All stock, 87 octane. FWIW. I think severe decel pop may be attributed to running higher octane fuel that doesn't finish burning in the low compression 900 engine. My thoughts anyway (it was a concern, but again, fully debaffled, un-marbled, and NO decel pop). Just a theory.

Well thanks for that last bit of push to be a hypocrite guys :D (A while back I started a thread asking who else was perfectly fine with stock pipes. Well take me off that list now LOL). Sounds great. On the highway the wind noise drowns it out anyway.

-John

Edit: A couple 'if I did it agains':

1) A die grinder or angle grinder with a small or worn down wheel is a much better tool for the job. The reciprocating saw, even with the shortest blade they make, had a habit of banging up against the walls of the pipe. Also, if you cut most of the way through the pipe like I did then mess up or have the tool 'jump' on you, it's near impossible to cut it back the other way. Happened to me on the second pipe, I just bent it off (not an option if your only doing a partial debaffle as it leaves the pipe partially closed and really ugly. A dremel with a metal cutting blade would probably work too.

2) The drill bit and chisel method works but if I had to do it again I'd get a hole saw (or, better yet, had used a die grinder or dremel and been able to cut almost to the baffle itself and been able to use my existing hole saws). It'll save you alot of time and frustration.

3) I had a weird thought about taking an electric mixer, pointing the mixer arm straight up, and securing it to the broom handle and turning it on. If I ever do this again, I'm definitely doing it that way. Just for the cool factor :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Been at stage 2 debaffle for over a year and have been fighting the urge to fully debaffle. You are not helping!:D

The link to the sound clip on youtube has pretty much pushed me over the edge.

I think I'll be doing this soon. I just can't fight the urge any longer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ghost, you won't regret it; sounds nice to me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ghost,

Just do it man. It sounds way better. I fully intended on completely debaffling but while doing it, I played around with drilling holes and stuff just to get a feel for how it sounded. It's not much quieter, it is, a little, but not much. But, it's WAY higher and tinnier. Once you get the baffle out, you have a nice, rich, low tone that sounds great. In my opinion, compared to a full debaffle, partial debaffle pipes sound awful!

Quick update:

After riding a few times on the highway, a couple times for a few hours, I can definitely say it's not bad. It's still low and throaty even at 4k RPMs on the highway, it's louder, but barely noticeably louder. The wind noise still seems louder than the pipes. So yeah, I definitely recommend the full debaffle. It sounds great, gives you a bit more notice-ability, and it drowns out the whiney Vulcan noises of the transmission and such and replaces them with a pleasant throaty rumble. I'm extremely glad I did it.

Oh, and Ghost...

DO IT!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the debaffled stocker from the previous owner. Ill tell you around town sure. But for me Highway speeds... I couldent hear my music. My brain started getting rattled at some RPMs. Just couldent take it anymore.

I know the saying is "loud pipes save lives" but I call BS on that cause I still had stupid drivers pullin stupid crap around me loud or not.

I ended up takin the plung on some Cobra Speedster Swept pipes and couldent be more happy. The tone at all RPM's as well as first start up in the mornin is 110% better IMO over stockers debaffled. Plus the added look of the swepts just do it for me.

But hell for a no cost mod, debaffles are a good route. If ur not planning on doing any real long trips you should be fine. OR invest in some ear plugs, ur going to want them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey all,

Those of you who have gutted your stock pipes, running 65-70 how's it sound? Do the high revv's make it really buzzy and annoying or does it still have a nice rumble?

I've been searching for a youtube video of it running at higher RPM's but they are all of the bike idling, or revving up to maybe 1500rpms.
OK.....I highly reccomend that you DON'T
debaffle a aftermarket pipe. Whe you eliminate backpreasure you also reduce your torque quite a bit. Racing engines that breathe exceptionally well can run straight pipes but they also run at a much higher rpm than a street bike.
Also when you replace your stock pipes you are going from about a 1" pipe (catalytic converter) to about a 2"
' pipe so you are already opening up your system quite a bit. That is why you have to rejet your carb or remap your FI.
I run Samson slashers with 10" baffles and they will hang with ANY Harley sound wise and the bike breathes great with a ton more torque. They are nasty......so some back preasure = more torque.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts