Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang...I have the screens knocked out on my stock exhaust and was wondering. How much of a difference did drilling 4 holes in the baffle versus just knocking out the screens make sound wise? Is there any difference with performance?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I knocked out the screen at first too. It wasn't quite loud enough so i went ahead and drilled the four holes. I'm happy with the volume of my exhaust now, so i won't be punching any more holes or going with the complete debaffle process.

You'll still have to remove the backplate to get to where you drill the holes and cut off the end of the small pipe, you know.

I haven't noticed any significant power change or mileage difference.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The difference from the screens to 4-holes is subtle. At 8-holes it starts getting noticeable when you open the throttle. I progressed from the screens through debaffle in a day, but I spend a lot of time at the dragstip so loud is a matter of perspective/preference. Unlike installing different types of headers on cars don't expect noticeable performance gains. Even after playing with the intake the gains are modest at best, it's still a 900 cruiser.

·
Registered
711 Posts
About two years ago I debaffle all the way. I started with four holes, then eight and just debaffle completely. Now from 4-8 there was some diff, eight gave me a deeper tone and from 8 to all off it made a huge difference too. Be aware that once you debaffle at certain speeds the exhaust will sound untuned. Performance wise I didn't noticed any. If you open up the intake then yes you will see a increase in power.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did the stage 2 modification with four 3/8 holes. I did not paint the inside of the pipes like most people do. I liked the way they looked unpainted. I ride in a club and found this be a good modification for rideing in groups.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, is it worth going from screens out to 4 holes...or just go with 8?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tryed the screen put first but did not like it. I then moved on to the four 3/8 holes and like the sound and will keep it that way. I ride in a club and it is about as loud as the other bikes which are mostly HD's.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well, it's easier to change from 4 to 8 holes than it is to go from 8 to 4. But it's your bike and your choice.

My suggestion is to try the four first.

Like floridaboy, i left mine unpainted. I don't think it looks bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With the inside painted black it looked to much like the stock pipes. Unpainted it makes it look different much better i think. To each his own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Gang...I have the screens knocked out on my stock exhaust and was wondering. How much of a difference did drilling 4 holes in the baffle versus just knocking out the screens make sound wise? Is there any difference with performance?
Do you have any pictures or explaination how td do this??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to knock the screens out I took a solid rod about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch kind of rounded on one end and about 2 to 3 feet long and a big hammer. slid the rod in the exhaust pipe until it stopped. got a friend to hold the bike took the hammer and gave it about 3 good knocks. you will feel it give way. only knock the first screen out. When you start it give it a few good twist of the wrist and the screens will fly out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
to knock the screens out I took a solid rod about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch kind of rounded on one end and about 2 to 3 feet long and a big hammer. slid the rod in the exhaust pipe until it stopped. got a friend to hold the bike took the hammer and gave it about 3 good knocks. you will feel it give way. only knock the first screen out. When you start it give it a few good twist of the wrist and the screens will fly out.
Thanks, to easy !! what about the 2nd screen??

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did the stage 2 modification with four 3/8 holes. I did not paint the inside of the pipes like most people do. I liked the way they looked unpainted. I ride in a club and found this be a good modification for rideing in groups.
Hi Floridaboy-Where did you get your stage 2 kit and what are you driving for a bike..Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You can also use a 1" bi-metal hole saw with an extension to drill out both screens.
When you say both screens, do you mean 1 screen in each pipe? From what I can see, the next thing down the line is the catalytic converter. You're not talking about putting holes in that are you?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts