Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing "step 1" and maybe "step 2" of the debaffle process on my 2010 900 custom. My understanding of step one is that I'm removing the plug looking piece that I can see if I shine a light about 6-8 inches down the pipe. I've seen some people mentioning using rebar to punch it out, but mine doesn't exactly look like a screen. It looks more like a plug. Anyone have any tips for this? I'd like to just do this before I start drilling holes into the back of the exhaust.

I see a lot of old threads redirecting to what was supposedly a great tutorial post, but it's all going to a license plate relocation tutorial now.

Any how, thanks in advance for the help.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
all I did was step 1 then decides to go with after market pipes. Very happy I did. Here's what step one looked liked.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did a stage 1, then went custom. - SO MUCHHHH better. THe debaffle was only good for like a week then i realized it made it sound like one of those China made cheap bikes. Go aftermarket or Custom (that's my opinion).

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Take them all the way out. Drilling holes gives it that awful, tinny sound. Full debaffle isn't THAT much louder but it's a much deeper, throatier tone. The tone of a partial debaffle is, in my opinion, awful. Get rid of 'em altogether and just be glad you did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding of the stage 1 was that I was just punching out the screen/plug looking thing that is up the pipe a little ways?

I think if that's not enough, I would just get a hole saw and do the full debaffle rather than all the work of drilling 8 holes in it. Still undecided though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive got stage 1, and love the sound, not tinny or slappy, and not too loud either. Its a noticeable rumble but not obnoxious.

Protip - premark where you will be drilling with a sharpie, then use a small punch to start the holes before drilling. I have an unsteady hand and this helped me tons.

Oh - stage 1 is removing the exhaust covers by drilling out the rivets, the using a sawsall to cut the pipe on the inside then drilling. The end result is what GFISH shows up there. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone used the rebar technique to remove the baffle plug on a newer 900? Mine is 2010 and if definiately doesn't look like a screen, more like a plug. I don't want it ending up stuck in there if I punch it out with rebar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did step one, it's pretty easy but was not happy with the sound. I later went with cobra pipes and intake and was much happier.

My opinion just thought I would share.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone used the rebar technique to remove the baffle plug on a newer 900? Mine is 2010 and if definiately doesn't look like a screen, more like a plug. I don't want it ending up stuck in there if I punch it out with rebar.
I've done this on a 2015. Sounds good and retains stock appearance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the leap today and cut off the pipe and drilled 6 1/2" holes in the baffle. Sounds pretty nice. I think I might drill out the baffle plug too, but I don't think I'll go to the full debaffle. Its pretty nice being able to hear it some while riding! Haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have done the re-bar trick, the hole saw de-baffle, and drilled holes, in Harleys, Hondas, and Kawasakis. In the end the best mod is to throw the stock exhaust in the nearest dumpster, and get a nice aftermarket exhaust!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts