Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess its an old question but here are the questions behind the question:

I have a '09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Mint is the word. Looks great, all stock for now. But i do want to mod a little bit. Starting with iso grips and pegs. I really think it can sound a loooooootttt better for a 900cc, so:

Should I debaffle?

a. Just debaffle first and if the sound isnt enough go for cobra or v&h
b. Dont debaffle its a waste of time, go for the cobra or v&h
c. Dont debaffle, if you have to sell it you can throw the original one back on - so go aftermarket
d. debaffle sounds great - just do it. No need to spend the money on c's and v&h's

please help Vulcaneers :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just finished the full debaffle on my 12vn900classic se. to me, the sound is great! im in love with them. all the youtube vids dont do the debaffled pipes justice. its plenty loud and has a nice deep tone to them. i just hope my neighbors arent pissed because i leave at 5am. if you can, find someone local that has a 900 with debaffled pipes. the $500 that would be spent on pipes are going towards something else on my bike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. i think the overal comments so far seems like debaffling is the way to go. does anyone have a picture of how the finished product looks? i see some cheesy versions on youtube where the aesthetics are hurt. my bike looks like it just came out of show room and dont want to ruin the looks. even though its only inside the pipes.

i am thinking paint black inside. thoughts??

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I vote B! A new set of pipes will look much better, and sound 5 times better!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I painted the inside of my debaffled stock pipe with Rustoleum BBQ & stove 1200*F black paint. Held up fine for years and in my opinion looked great.

I dont really see the benefit of keeping stock pipes stock for resale value. I'd suggest trying the debaffle, doing each stage seperately. You can always drill more holes, but its damn near impossible to put them back in :)

If you dont like it, buy an exhaust. If you do like it, you saved some coin for other things.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
How about option E? Buy a set of used V&H...half the price of new and sound way better than a full debaffle.

I did a full debaffle and thought it was 10x better than stock. However I bought V&H staggered off ebay for a little over $200 and I think they sound 10x better than a full debaffle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Seawolf i think that makes sense. thanks everyone actually. Old crows option E is interesting but finding a used pipe in vancouver british columbia is a dream and dont think its a money saving option lol

·
Registered
169 Posts

It'll never sound like an after market one. Go for V&H or Freedom they are much much lighter & you do feel the dif in bike's weight after the install

·
Registered
370 Posts
I vote for the ebay pipes

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

It'll never sound like an after market one. Go for V&H or Freedom they are much much lighter & you do feel the dif in bike's weight after the install
So true. Those stock pipes are heavier than all get-out.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The full debaffle doesn't sound too bad, IMO. I'll admit it! I don't want them as loud as full aftermarket. Call me whatever you want! And it's a good sound without being insanely loud. Full aftermarket does sound better though.

Why not debaffle and if you don't like it, go aftermarket? It's the same price! That is to say, it doesn't cost you any more other than a few minutes of your time to just debaffle.

The aftermarket pipes do sound better, just much louder. With how high these bikes rev on the highway, it's just too loud for me on a long trip. But stock is just too quiet. I DO think the full debaffle sounds good!

·
Registered
953 Posts

I completely disagree here. I went debaffle, spent $$$ on a Cobra 2-1. It was so loud it gave me headaches. I toned it down with a quiet baffle.

After a year I realized I really didn't enjoy all that racket, so I sold my Big Air Kit (allowed bunches of engine noise out) and my Cobra pipe to a forum member in Houston.

I went back to stock (was too quiet) then ended up back at full debaffle again. It doesn't sound like aftermarket exhaust, to me it sounds good though, and not so loud that I can't think straight.

The slight weight difference won't make a noticeable difference in performance. That's nonsense.

However, YOU must decide what is right for your bike. If you like the looks of the pipes, keep em. If you don't like the debaffle sound, I'd go Barons Big n' Nasty!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys. i went the debaffle. i debaffled mine today and it does sound better. does it sound 10x like some of you say? probably not. i guess what i am looking for is LOOOOUUUUUDDD! and debaffle dont cut it. however, i dont have the money to go after market yet. so i am going to enjoy the debaffle for a little bit longer before deciding on the pipes. here are some pictures

·
Registered
953 Posts
here is how it looks. do i need to drill more holes? what implications will it have if i throw in couple more drills in there?
OK, this is a stage 2. If you drill 4 more holes it will be a little louder (I'd also up the drill bit size).

To go full debaffle you need to drill completely around the baffle so the plate is not attached, get a hole saw and remove that back plate completely. Shove a mopstick handle down the baffle and move around till the welds break. Then it will be deeper and louder.

Here is a video link to illustrate the difference:

This link gives you a better view of the inside of the pipes.

If money is an issue, this will work.

Second best choice is those cheap ebay pipes guys are buying up or a set of used pipes off ebay, craigslist ,or the forum. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts