Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok So i figured because there are so many questions on how to do this I would try and write a guide seeing as how this isn't really that difficult once you get in there. If I have something wrong let me know and I can adjust.

**Note pictures are not mine, I should have taken my own but well, I didn't. Thanks to those who did.**

Stage 1 Debaffle

Tools needed
  1. Drill
  2. Drill Bits
  3. Sawzall (recip saw) w/ a steel cutting blade + or a dremel tool with a cutting wheel
  4. Something to protect the chrome ends of the exhaust when you are using the sawzall (I used cardboard + painters tape + duct tape)
  5. A hammer
  6. A Sharpie
  7. A punch
  8. A small flashlight or a good lightsource like the sun.
Get a drill, and grab a drill bit the same size (ish) as the rivets and drill out the two rivets you see on the plate at the tail end of your exhaust. The plates are now loose. Remove them, and trash them.

You now see a skinny pipe with a flange on it (ugly right?), that cant stay...cover the edges of the exhaust because you are about to use the sawzall. I had to cut at an angle, you likely will have to too. But thats ok becuase the cut end is hidden in the shadows of the pipe. BE CAREFUL - the sawzall WILL jump. Cut that flange end off. Repeat for the second pipe.

Take a break, grab a drink.

Ok, so you can see a flat surface on the inside of the pipe, you will want it to look sort of like the below.

To make sure the holes line up nice, use the sharpie and premark the holes. Then use your punch and punch small holes. Then finally grab a drill and a bit and get to drilling. NOTE - MORE HOLES + LARGER HOLES = MORE VOLUME, start small (1/8" - 1/4"), with 4 holes and see if you like it. Too quite add or make larger. :)

Vacuum out the steel shavings and go for a ride.

Stage 2 Debaffle

NOTE: I have read mixed reviews on stage 2 debaffling maybe causing loss in HP...I cannot confirm it, but I do think there is an impact just from what I have felt when riding. Anyhow as with the stage 1 this stage 2 is also do at your own risk.

NOTE 2: Stage 2 debaffle sounds awesome, and seems to have gotten deeper and louder over the last little while.

NOTE 3: Chances are good that you are going to hear backfiring and popping on deceleration after this. It was driving me bananas so i just marbled the bike, I will let you know the results
in a couple of weeks.

NOTE 4: In my province in Canada if you do this you are making your bike no longer safety(able) and will need to buy new pipes with a baffle in order to get it safetied for resale!
Tools Needed:
Drill
2 1/2" holesaw for steel
broomstick (or something that will fit into the exhaust pipe)
A sturdly longhandled screwdriver
A hammer
A little bit of patience

Steps:

Use the hole saw to cut your hole in the pipe - to keep it centered I used a cutoff piece of the broom handle and put that on the hole saw dowel (its a good tip, theres no bouncing of your saw...just do it.)

Using your trusty hammer and screw driver, bend back the entire flange on the inner small pipe...it shouldn't be too bad as there are already holes in it. (For the love of god don't hit the chrome.) You do this so you have more movement clearance for the next step.

After you have created wiggle room by bending that flange back, grab your broom handle and stick it in the hole.

Crouch down, grab the stick and rock it back and forth. With the extend clearance you made by bending the flange back, this should take you no more than 10 minutes per pipe. Wiggle it back and forth, up and down until you get pissed off, then keep going. Then take a quick breath and wiggle some more. Eventually you will hear a crack (thats the sound of the weld letting go!). if its loose enough you can remove the broom handle and wiggle it really quick with your finger till it falls out. Vaccuum out the shavings and you are done. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I like where this is going...kudos. I watched a friend take a sawzall to the pipes on his 1700 classic, and it was not a pretty picture. The pipe is a very mild steel and cuts easily- a Dremel tool with cut-off wheel goes through it very nicely. I was able to go into the I.D. of the pipe and cut it darn near flush with the baffle plate without boogering up my chrome or my knuckles. Also, you can really dress it up with some high-temp paint.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated with stage 2 :) Enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updated stage 2 info, see the notes :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
nice pics and write-up.

there are, however, many many posts on the debaffle process along with YouTube links :)

There is actually 3 "stages" for the debaffle.

Your stage 1 is correct.

Stage 2 is removing/poking a hole in the center of the pipes to open the exhaust flow more. (the plate in the center of the pipes forces the air around and through the holes of the baffles reducing noise)

Your stage 2 is the stage 3 with full baffle removal.

Stage 3 is definitely the way I like it for now. deeper rumble than stage 1 and 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts