Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am 1 week into ownership of my vn900 and already want to debaffle the pipes. Should I go ahead and do this, or wait until after the 1st service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait...It may void any warrenty. You also can mess up the air flow ratio by doing this. In that case you may need to add a fuel processor to adjust the air/fuel ratio which are a few hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
So I am 1 week into ownership of my vn900 and already want to debaffle the pipes. Should I go ahead and do this, or wait until after the 1st service.
1st service or 10th service, what difference does it make? If something breaks it'll be your fault anyway in the eyes of the stealer. I doubt you will be running lean if you just drill out the plate at the rear of the silencers. If you're going to remove the pipes as well, then you might consider a PCV. Bolting on something like the BAK and removing the sub throttle plates will definitely lean out the lower to mid RPM range and you'll need a fuel manager to bring the AFR back down.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Look through the forum, James, and see the different stages for de-baffling.

I don't believe you'll void any warranty with the early stages, and even a complete removal of the baffles won't require a change in fuel processor. Change intake AND exhaust, and you'll have to look at a processor.

Personally, i've found that cramming a piece of rebar down the center pipe (others drill it out) and drilling four holes into the back of the muffler is sufficient for me. Nice sound without being overly loud. Each to his own though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up a 900 classic leftover. I also wanna debaffle (completely). I'm gonna wait 'til after the 500 mile service, just so they don't complain.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Personally?
If I were worried about the warranty, I'd wait until after the first service and then uncork the pipes, and then also not worry much about taking it to the dealer until 15K miles (if then.)
I didn't take my bike in for its 600-mile, $150 first oil change. I "might" take it in the the 15K valve clearance check, and then again I might do THAT myself.

The dealer CANNOT force you to have this check and that oil change made at their $100/hr service department, but they can indeed void parts of your warranty for whacking holes in the OEM pipes. I suspect (though I have not personally seen) that your bike has an electronic "health" record maintained by KAWI.
Think about buying a backup set of OEM pipes from eBay - if for no other reason than giving yourself a set to place onto the bike for warranty work. Or you can buy aftermarket pipes. ($300 and up)

Either way, as others have stated, you're not going to have to worry about a fuel processor with pipe work IMHO. As others have also stated - DO your debaffling in stages...even if you're in the "I want it loud enough for my ears to bleed" crowd.
It can be like audio equipment...louder isn't always better - and can sometimes sounds like crap....IMHO! :D

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Or you could just buy my OEM Chrome pipes with the Stage 1 baffle done already. Then you would have your stock set and another set that have alittle more growl...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am definitely not out for the bleeding ears. I previously had a 750 shadow and was very happy with the debaffling of it's exhaust. So I think I will be happy debaffling the vn900 exhaust. I guess I am a little hesitant about doing it, and then the stealer giving me issues about it when I take it in for the 1st maintenance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went ahead and did it and couldn't be happier. I ended up with a stage 2 de-baffle, mainly because I couldn't knock the weld out of the baffle... Yet..

Sounds Awesome.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I debaffled before my first service, after asking the shop guys about it. The only warranty it voided was the part that covers the exhaust. When it I took it in, I was the talk of the shop for a few, as they had yet to see one of the 9'ers debaffled.

When I had her serviced, I only had the 8 holes in the baffles, and when I went with the full debaffle, I took her back to show off the sound, and all the guys in the grease pit loved it. LOL Parts guy did ask me (tongue in cheek) not to talk about it with any of their new customers though, as he made more money off of aftermarkets. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts