Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have 2009 900 classic that I'm thinking about Debadging does anyone know the easies way to get the emblems off the tank without hurting the finish?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took them off my 900 custom, I put a puddy knife between adhesive & emblem. Not touching the paint, gently started prying.Once the emblem starts lifting,gently pull with fingers. Use the 1in. puddy knife onley to get it started, enough to grab with fingers . after the emblem is off ,I pulled the caulking off by hand. the 1st side took longer cause I was in a hurry, the caulk kept breaking. the 2nd side was easier, I went slower & gave the glue time to stretch & lift in bigger pieces.When I got done, not one scratch in the paint. can't tell anything was ever there. My opinion looks way better with em gone. Shows off my orange tank. Doug...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I've had people tell me that there was small clips behind them like the old car used to have. My bike is burgandy & Lt. gold and the emblem just seems to big and takes away from the paint on the tank. Tom

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have 2009 900 classic that I'm thinking about Debadging does anyone know the easies way to get the emblems off the tank without hurting the finish?
spray with WD-40 then use dental floss. saw back and forth. spray the remaining adhesive with WD-40 and wipe the tank clean. there are no clips under the tank badges.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In addition to fishing line or dental floss and WD-40, I'd use a hair dryer, not a lighter or heat gun (!) to soften up the adhesive behind the badge. You'll want to consider keeping the badges (and any other OEM piece/part) that you take off the bike for replacement if/when you sell your scoot.
"Bone Stock" bikes seem to have a higher resale value than a bike that has been modified, since "modifications" to your bike are a highly subjective thing, and people perform surgery to their scoots with varying degrees of success.

Interestingly enough, I've read more debadging tips on a Harley (V-Rod) forum than I have here...but that's the Motorcycle biz for you...:D

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Toluene is the best solvent to remove adhesive residue from paint. It does not harm the finish assuming you wipe off all remaining solvent when done.

I second the hair dryer to help remove adhesive backed items from paint, along with a plastic putty knife. Heat gun can be used if you are VERY careful and keep it moving all the time, and touch the tank to monitor surface temperature.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello everyone,
No clips and it is a very easy procedure (mod). Used heart gun myself, very carefully as another had mentioned. Went w/the fishing line & "sawed" through the putty. Cleaned up excess w/GoGone (sure another product is just fine) & had to bad effects to tank/paint. Love the de-badged look. Makes her look much sleaker. Took the small Kawasaki emblem off long time ago. Ride on.

S

·
0 Posts
I debadged last spring time. I used fishing line, Goo Gone & a plastic putty knife. After you use the fishing line to saw of the emblems, soak the adhesive left on the tank with Goo Gone. Take your time scaping the adhesive so you dont damage the paint. The tank paint can easily be damaged. I dont like to see any scratches in the paint so TAKE YOUR TIME REMOVING THE ADHESIVE! Just keep soaking it with the Goo Gone & you will finally get it all off. It took me about 30 minutes each side of the tank. I like the look way better with the badges removed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I debadged it yesterday and I think it looks great.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
That's on my list of free things to do. I'm just having too much fun riding while the weather is nice. When it snows...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts