Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 Nomad. has always had a little wobble. Could take hands off bars but just one finger on the bar would prevent it. Never really noticed it under normal operation. Just had 2 new tires this spring. Same tire it had before Metzler 888. Now I notice the wobble a lot more when decelerating even with both hands on the bars. Anything to look at other than just the head bearing? I was wondering if the rear tire is out of line and if that would have a similar effect?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi RB,
  • Tire pressure, front and/or rear
  • Check that tires were installed in the proper rotational direction
  • Have you noticed any dirty, oily lines on the fork stanchions (the chrome tube part)? Imbalance in fork oil damping.
  • The steering head bearings would be the likely cause. Whether or not it is due to looseness or notching of the bearings and/or races would be determined when the front wheel is securely off the ground.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had the same place do two sets of tires and two of the four were OOB. So, check for balance, straightness of rim(s), and if you've got spokes check all of them.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
RBuchenan, to answer you last question: Yes, a misaligned rear wheel can cause this. If the wheel isn't straight, it pushes the frame to one side (picture a '72 Nova dog tracking). The front wheel attempts to stay in plane with the rear wheel, but the geometry of the front end tries to keep the wheel inline with the frame and you get the back and forth movement that is the wobble. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
682 Posts
  • I will add this: Since you recently had the tires replaced I dismissed the idea that the wheel bearings could be going bad assuming the mechanic had inspected them while the wheel was off. Especially the front wheel bearings.
  • But after a recent conversation with another member here in the forum, I am reminded that not all mechanics do a thorough job like the rest of us.
  • Also, with the idea of incompetent mechanics in mind, when your rear tire was replaced the mechanic/technician should have checked for swing arm bearing play. Loose or worn swingarm bearings can cause wobble, drive shaft noise and premature wear of drive chains and belts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I have an 09 Nomad. has always had a little wobble. Could take hands off bars but just one finger on the bar would prevent it. Never really noticed it under normal operation. Just had 2 new tires this spring. Same tire it had before Metzler 888. Now I notice the wobble a lot more when decelerating even with both hands on the bars. Anything to look at other than just the head bearing? I was wondering if the rear tire is out of line and if that would have a similar effect?
When I bought my 02 Nomad I noticed some wobble when I let go of the handlebar. I thought it was a tire but it didn't help when I replaced. They said these Nomads have issues with fork bearing sometimes so they replaced them and no its smooth as glass. cheap fix...maybe $200. Don't really remember because more than likely I was drunk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts