Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post this on the general talk because I'd like to know your opinions. I'm currently having a no spark problem that I've been posting about in the vn800 section. I checked everything so far and the only part that I am unable to check is the IC ignitor box. The Clymer indicates that only a Kawasaki dealership would have the hand tool to check for the resistance on the ignitor to determine whether it is good or bad. Therefore, I called the only nearest shop and asked if it could be tested. The service rep said yes. So I decided to take a ride today over to this dealer and bring the ignitor with me. The same service rep (cool guy who does not make the labor decisions), had no problem bringing it to the shop in the back to get it tested. He quickly returned saying that the mechanics NEED THE BIKE to test the ignitor. He said they need to troubleshoot *all areas* in order to determine the cause of having no spark. So in contrary to the Clymer, they need the bike??

Considering I get my bike towed to the shop, I asked the clerk if he knew what the labor cost would be. He said no because electrical has to be tested in all areas. The problem could be quickly discovered or the workers might have to test everything for the cause of the problem. What is the labor rate you wonder? Big sign next to the service desk- $85 an hour! NOW, this is what I think.... Why give me a courtesy testing of the ignitor box (or even just charge me a small fee) when I could just tow my bike to the shop, be charged three or four hours of labor, and pay through my a*s for them to tell me that the ignitor is faulty and needs to be replaced. What's worse is that I would have to leave my bike at the shop and just take their word for the amount of time they spent "working" in my bike. On top of that, if it is the ignitor, I'll be paying around $150 - $200 on ebay for a used one. Now if that's not some garbage, I don't know what is.

I'm not the type to accept being taken advantage of because I will assess the situation in advance or curse one of them out! Unfortunately, there are naïve people that will bring their bikes to the shop and get their wallets raped by these $85 per hour mechanics thinking they are on their side.

Currently, I still have my no spark issue. But you know what? I prefer having NO BIKE than to be raped and gagged through my wallet by these legally licensed thieves. I'll attempt to figure out my issue even if I have to scratch my head a few more times, take a chance at buying an ignitor, post on the forums, etc. When I eventually resolve my issue, I will post back with what I discovered. Your thoughts, please.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
The reason they want your bike in their shop is to try a known good igniter to see if the bike runs. If so then yours will be the fault. I am unaware of any device an igniter can be plugged into for testing. My manual even states if the igniter is suspect to try a known good one.
Don't hold it against the technicians working at the dealerships trying to make a living, I am sure they don't make $85 an hour. Everyone has overhead and cannot stay in business without a profit. I wish everyone could be a business owner just once.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you're right. They probably will do a swap test. However, I have to be cautious because they can easily BS me into a three hour labor charge. I have been ripped off before by a home mechanic recommended by a friend and shop mechanics. It's not until I got older, wiser, and experienced to know that mechanics are no different than lawyers. Therefore, forgive me for being defensive. In this case, my defenses came up when I was told over the phone by the friendly desk clerk that the ignitor could be checked out. After I arrived and the clerk spoke with the mechanics, suddenly I needed the bike? Respectfully speaking, according to the Clymer manual there is a tester called the Kawasaki Hand Tester as shown in the image. I will refuse to believe that an authentic Kawasaki dealership does not have this vital tool.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Two minuts worth of research shows this Hand Held Meter 57001-1394 is obsolete thru kawasaki. Maybe your dealership doesn't even have one and the only test they can preform is the swap test. If your not comfortable paying them to do a swap test after you explain that this is the only thing you want them to do just pop for a used one and "assume" it's good taking the word of someone on stEalBay and hope for the best

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you checked everything so far and the only part that you are unable to check is the IC ignitor box, then get a new (used) one and install it. If you have to pay for tow and you know it is going to be a least 2 hours labor (2 x 85) plus tax that will be way more then a part off ebay. If you do use ebay try and get one off of a running bike, where they have a video of the bike (running) and the seller has a good rating. I am in NY too and do not know of any dealers that have the Kaw tool to test it so they would just test by replacing it. And funny part is if it is bad and needs replacement they will change you for the test and installing it! I understand dealers need to charge for their time and overhead and $85 is in the ballpark for labor rate. But the test is the same has just replacing the part, so get the part and do it yourself. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Those resistance readings on an ignitor are almost useless with the exception of a couple and they "may" show a catastrophic failure. In that event, the Kawasaki tester is not needed.

Ignitors, themselves, give very little trouble but get fingered for a whole host of other problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts